• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Torque setting gun stock

peterk123

NES Member
Removed my rifle stock from my Tikka t3x today. I needed to clean out the various twigs and leaves that got stuck between it and the barrel from hunting this fall.

For the life of me I can't find what the recommended torque should be. I set it at 25 inch pounds. I saw somewhere that the manual supposedly recommends 62. That seems way too high to me.

Do you guys have a minimum you would recommend? It's dead nuts accurate, so I'm not sure why it would need to torqued higher. Not like the stock is going to fall off.

Quick Google search...

Put that Tikka in a KRG bravo stock.

Although I have to say, my Tikka was shooting 1/4 MOA with the cheap factory stock and it is still shooting 1/4 MOA with a KRG BRAVO Chassis.

But ... now I can adjust the rifle and be more comfortable. I thought the weight would be an issue, I put a good sling and you can't feel it.

This past hunting season I walked a couple of miles to and from my blind every day for 4 days, I did not feel the rifle. My buddies picked it up, thought it was heavy until I told them to shoulder the rifle, they were all surprised, it is like the weight went away.

Put that Tikka in a KRG bravo stock.

Although I have to say, my Tikka was shooting 1/4 MOA with the cheap factory stock and it is still shooting 1/4 MOA with a KRG BRAVO Chassis.

But ... now I can adjust the rifle and be more comfortable. I thought the weight would be an issue, I put a good sling and you can't feel it.

This past hunting season I walked a couple of miles to and from my blind every day for 4 days, I did not feel the rifle. My buddies picked it up, thought it was heavy until I told them to shoulder the rifle, they were all surprised, it is like the weight went away.
I've debated with myself regarding a new stock but the thing is so nice and light. I put a limbsaver recoil pad on it, so now I feel zero recoil as well.

I've become neurotic about weight because of the distances and heights I'm climbing. Its amazing how all the gear on your back adds up.

I've debated with myself regarding a new stock but the thing is so nice and light. I put a limbsaver recoil pad on it, so now I feel zero recoil as well.

I've become neurotic about weight because of the distances and heights I'm climbing. Its amazing how all the gear on your back adds up.
If you are going long distances, it makes sense. I wouldn't touch it, Tikka stocks feel cheap but their rifles shoot great. I wish they would add QD attachment and had a cheek riser.

Yup, keep what you got, it is lightweight and gun shoots well. It makes no sense to switch to something heavier, no where near as sleek, that looks like dog shit. Because of the walking/hiking distances and, even more importantly, the elevation changes out there, you want to keep it light and don't want a rifle stock that doesn't carry well on your shoulder alongside your pack, etc., especially when you may need to quarter the game and pack it out as well.

Last edited:
35 inch pounds, I think that higher torque is for the stocks with aluminum bedding blocks.
gotta be smart and listen to the wood - to avoid crushing it.
from CZ manual:
"When bench testing your CZ we recommend you start your action screw torque at about 18 inch pounds and work up from that point 2 inch pounds at a time until you find your best group size but no more then 28-30 inch pounds. Our experience has found that a 20 inch pound torque seems to work well with most available ammo."

gotta be smart and listen to the wood - to avoid crushing it.
from CZ manual:
"When bench testing your CZ we recommend you start your action screw torque at about 18 inch pounds and work up from that point 2 inch pounds at a time until you find your best group size but no more then 28-30 inch pounds. Our experience has found that a 20 inch pound torque seems to work well with most available ammo."

Agreed, however, there are exceptions, the angled front action screw on my Ruger 77s has a recommended torque of 95 inch-lbs, there is no listening to the wood there (never makes a noise). You do have to take care not to over torque the middle/rear screws of course.

Those torque numbers seem low 18-20 inch pounds isn't much, most scope rings/bases are around that, but if that is what the manual says. Tikka's website sucks, couldn't find the latest manual, saw some discussions on a Tikka forum that there are typos in the manuals.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom