Cmp

SKS Ray

NES Member
Has anyone here ordered from the (CMP) Civilian Marksmanship Program? http://www.odcmp.com/
I got one of the last 03A3 Springfields they had and while its got the Greek re-bluing, its a great shooter and dead on accurate. Customer service was great and the rifle was shipped packed in foam crate and done incredibly well to ensure no damage. Bets of all was I could make arangements to have it shipped to my job since it was Fed Ex.
There are still 03 Springfields available as far as I know. Condition has been eh to very good from diferent reports i've read about on other forums.
I missed the boat on 1917 Enfield rifles, and the M1 Carbine barreled actions and receivers amazingly sold out at an alarming rate. There are M1 Garands still available and these are better priced than you will ever see at a gun show or shop. Plus there are 22 cal trainers too.
A GOAL membership and C&R license qualifies you for eligibility to order.
I know the AG busts our balls and posting links for firearm suppliers has been frowned upon lately because of possible snoops, but the CMP is legal and legit and has every right to sell us rifles under its original intent taken from there web site and posted here for you folks to read:

<< The CMP was created by the U.S. Congress. The original purpose was to provide civilians an opportunity to learn and practice marksmanship skills so they would be skilled marksmen if later called on to serve the U.S. military. Over the years the emphasis of the program shifted to focus on youth development through marksmanship. From 1916 until 1996 the CMP was administered by the U.S. Army. The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1996 (TITLE XVI) created the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice & Firearms Safety, Inc. (CPRPFS) to take over administration and promotion of the CMP. The CPRPFS is a tax exempt not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization that derives its mission from public law >>

This is about as 2nd Amendment as we can get when it comes to buying military rifles.
[iwojima]

Hey, a chance to use this smilie. [wink]

You can read the requirements on the CMP website. They have relaxed them quite a bit lately, so it's not that tough to qualify.

I got my service grade Springfield M1 Garand a few years ago when they still had non-imports around. At the time, I was able to request a high serial number rifle (5,000,000+) because I wanted a "shooter" for Garand matches - and that's what I got! But usually, its the "luck of the draw" and you get what you get.

But looking at the website now, there seems to be a steadily shrinking number of choices. I missed out on the carbines and Model 1917's too, but ended up getting them at gun shows at a decent price, so that's OK. And fortunately, I inherited a beautiful Springfield 1903 from my grandfather.

But anyone who is considering getting one of these old war heros should act fast. Anyone who doubts how fast these things are disappearing should look at what happened when the CMP recently dredged up 1500 beat-up old M1 Carbine receivers from South America and put them up for sale - gone in about 10 days!

Act now, my friends.... or regret it later.

Ken

Here are the eligibilty requirements to purchase from CMP:

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/eligibility_requirements.htm

They have made it so broad that almost breathing and moving under your own power qualifies you. (Well, maybe a teeny bit more also) This is one government organization that seems to work for us shooters.

Also, you really should join GOAL. They are the most positive unifying group in Massachusetts for those of us who like firearms and the shooting support. They need the support of every law-abiding gun owner in this commonwealth.

If you're a Veteran, and are a member of the VFW or Am Legion, you're all set. If you're still serving, even Guard or Reserves, you're all set. Several other scenarios qualify.

Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization

You must provide a copy of your current membership card or other proof of membership. This requirement cannot be waived. The CMP currently has over 2,000 affiliated organizations located in many parts of the country.

Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online.

In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity

Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity.
No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60.

I need help here! All you guys talking about M1 Garands have got me excited. I have all my paperwork but no CMP affiliated membership. I just applied to GoNH (as I live in NH) I had planned on joining anyway. As I fill out the application, I see the 6-8 weeks to process the goNH membership.

Does anyone know of another (faster) membership I can also join? I am afraid by time I get this, the $595 service grades will be gone. (only one category left)

Please let me know- wished i joined last month at the Manchester gun show when I was thinking about it!

I need help here! All you guys talking about M1 Garands have got me excited. I have all my paperwork but no CMP affiliated membership. I just applied to GoNH (as I live in NH) I had planned on joining anyway. As I fill out the application, I see the 6-8 weeks to process the goNH membership.

Does anyone know of another (faster) membership I can also join? I am afraid by time I get this, the $595 service grades will be gone. (only one category left)

Please let me know- wished i joined last month at the Manchester gun show when I was thinking about it!
When you join the Garand Collectors Association there is a box on the form to share information with CMP. GCA emails membership info every few weeks. You still have to download the GCA membership form and mail it in: but it's worthwhile joining just for the newsletter. For example, you might get pics of the collector who has duplicated a WWII Infantry company arms room, complete with racks, Garands, interviews with curators at SAHS, etc.

Another option is to join GOAL (goal.org), which has a full-time staff and may be able to get you a card quickly. If you were interested in their excellent IDPA Intro class, the amount you save between the non-member cost ($100) and the member cost ($40) more than pays the years feee ($30).

I would email your application in anyway. They take a while to process and they'll email you that they need a club card - which they will need valid for 2010 when the order is processed anyway.

True fanatics who have ordered a dozen or so rifles have been known to add delivery confirmation, just to be sure.[smile]

Last edited:
When I was elected president to Mansfield Fish and Game I was a bit shocked that our club had let our CMP affiliation lapse. We reapplied and now are an affiliated club. Folks send in a copy of their membership ID and our club affiliate number and they can order what ever they wish.

I agree with other folks, if you wait a]much longer you wont be able to buy anything. Also I know Ohio is not next door but if you ever have the chance visit the CMP sales room. You can hand pick your rifle!!!!

I have a 1903, and a 1903A3, three Garands and two M1 carbines ...Also ammo was, the key word WAS ,available but no longer...so don't wait, order your rifle today. Its well worth the money. Far better than any gun show prices.

SKS Ray wrote: A GOAL membership and C&R license qualifies you for eligibility to order.

50 BMG wrote: a copy of their membership ID and our club affiliate number

Yeah, I second the above.

MRGCI has a current CMP affiliation, and a few Members have taken advantage of such.

If you belong to a Gun Club, that's the first place that I'd check.

It is the fastest route that I'm aware of.

M1 Garand on the way!

Thanks to All! I joined the GCA per Garandman's suggestion. I mailed it the same day I dropped the application. (The GCA magazine is not bad either!) I ordered my rifle from CMP on November 27th the Saturday after Thanksgiving!

I received my notification from fedex today. It will be here tomorrow. (lucky for me I am home tomorrow!) [smile]

I ordered now because I figured I had 6 months to pay. If anyone is keeping track that is 25 calendar days from mailing the letter! Oh well. The charge is lost in the other Christmas credit charges. I think my wife didn't notice[laugh2]

Garandman thanks again for the advice and quick reply. I hope to meet your around someday! There is a full clip waiting for you to try it out!

Back
Top Bottom