• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP Service Grade HRA range report. stock fit mods and tune

One thing I need to add is the stocks that come prefinished (3 of 3 for me) once stripped and sanded do not stain evenly. I'm almost certain the stocks are sprayed with stain which gives a more even color than hand rubbing. It may not show in the next pics but you can pick up the strange stain patterns of the lower grade (irregular grain) stocks.
For me its going to be a shooter so don't bother me much.

103_3352_zps8738cf0d.jpg
not so bad on the other side.

103_3351_zpsee220d83.jpg
you can see in the pic above the verticle dark line at the rear of the stock. I stripped and sanded the finish and this still reappeared.

I could have used a grain sealer i guess? I think the tung oil would not sink as deep with a sealer applied. Things to consider with the sub 150.00 stocks

Last edited:
Mac, that looks pretty good. Wood can be a pain in the ass to stain. I was told by a wood finisher at a cabinet maker that sometimes you can sand wood too much so that the grain gets "closed" and it will not allow the stain to penetrate into the wood, thus giving an uneven finish.

Got to sneal out just prior to sunset for a function test....no more 7th round jam. ran the same clips and lot of ammo as 1st test. I also swear when I put the new springs in it recoils less.
Maybe get out sat for a bench rest accuracy test?

Mac, that looks pretty good. Wood can be a pain in the ass to stain. I was told by a wood finisher at a cabinet maker that sometimes you can sand wood too much so that the grain gets "closed" and it will not allow the stain to penetrate into the wood, thus giving an uneven finish.
I took a commercial fitted set from Dean's and put on Tru Oil, then sanded. My goal was to get a smooth finish (like a commercial rifle) to help seal the wood. It's a little shinier than I like but I take the gloss off with 0000 steel wool every now and then. Middle.
i-C3Sj8JS-L.jpg

I use Tru Oil or one of the commercial Tung Oil finishes.

I have used tru oil and minwax tung oil finish. Both can be controlled on sheen and build up easily. Im not sure where I want to go with this stock. If the grain was a bit prettier I might go with a more shine. As a few built up coats of tung oil finish or tru oil can bring out the grain nicely... I may sand the stock down a bit again and try a mix of stains to get the grain to pop a bit more?

103_3257_zpsd27a782a.jpg
recent project with minwax tung oil finish. this is 4 coats with wet sanding 600grit between coats. That was enough for me I wanted to shoot! maybe in the dead of winter I will do a few more coats.

a little more testing

1_zps08fdd8b9.jpg

some how I found time to get to the range. Today was not great day to try some accuracy testing. 1pm sun was blinding peaking over the Bermuda glare of the puddles and crazy wind.....any how.
Above is the 2nd target of the day. Group to the right was 50 yards poa was 6 o'clock hold on black. With the sun burning my eyes I'm surprised I got anything close to a group. The group in the middle is when I moved out to 100 yards(did not fix yardage in program so it says 50) slinged up and went prone. The clouds covered the sun and it was a little easier to see
I made a rough windage and elevation adjustment judgment from the 50 yard group. Windage was a good guess elevation needed 2 clicks up to end up in the middle. I was happy with this

2_zps04e64cd2.jpg

This pic is my first 8 shots at 50 yards. The 3 lower shots I'm pretty sure I took at the end when the sun really started to shine.
Now I did this a little half ass. I used a stock from one of my other garands as the new wood was stripped of metal and stained. I will be applying tung oil or true oil? Not decided yet. I also did not install the hand guards. The real test will come Jan 5th when its all together and I shoot a match. The op rod doesn't bind. I made sure the front sight was wiggle free and replaced all the springs. This has helped my other garands as well.
I also used the same clips and 1972 hxp ammo.

Last edited:
Here is a pretty good book on accurizing the Garand.

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Sho...d=1355798562&sr=1-14&keywords=m1+garand+books

Keep it on the list for if you are buying something from Amazon anyway--free shipping & all.

I received this book today. Its good I read up to the reloading section so far. Its a little lacking in detailed pictures. If I didn't already know some of this stuff I would have a hard time knowing what he was refering to. Especially with the gas cylender fitment.

Well worth the 9.00 I paid.

Last edited:
Well I dug my 1942 SA M1 from the back of the safe. I did not do more than a field strip and clean to this one. As I was checking it out to see if it might possibly have a HRA stock I noticed it has a HRA op rod. I pull trigger group to remove op rod to do a side by side of the new to me HRA op rod....there is a ever so slight bend in the new to me HRA....I take a glance at the trigger group HRA!!!! Whooohoo. Ok so a HRA stock and gas plug and I got me a correct garand! So I will send the bent op rod out to be rebuilt over the winter.

got to finishing up the stock

before
103_3350_zps2e454025.jpg

after
103_3392_zpsbc5be54d.jpg

I stripped and sanded stock and mixed some dark walnut and red mahogany minwax oil stain 2 coats of minwax tung oil finish. If the grain was nicer I would have stuck with pure tung oil. The over all tone is more matched. This might be walnut but all three pieces are cut from different wood chunks. If you really want a nice matching stock you have to call Deans or Wenig and get a set cut from the same chunk of wood.

finally done

went quicker than I thought. Found pockets of time all around the holidays....
103_3399_zps8c70fa09.jpg

cant wait next saturday cmp shoot !
103_3396_zps7d7b2be9.jpg

im considering dumping on of my ARs that doesnt get used( stag model 2 nothing wrong with it just prefer shooting my Rifle vs carbine) If i sell it I might just order a few more ?

Now is the time to sell the AR if you truly want to get rid of it. I just sent in an order for an HRA SG Special. Hopefully it will be processed fairly quickly by the CMP since I believe they have SG Specials sitting on the racks. I read, as I'm sure you have, that there is quite a back log on the regular SG's, and Orest said that they don't expect to have any SG's in the stores until they catch up on the mail orders. At the end of November I sent in an order for a SA SG with a sticky for WWII s/n, and its been sitting in the eStore since 12/14. I keep telling myself that its worth the wait, but I need my fix.

I find it to be worth the wait......go to any gun shop and see what 650 gets you
I got a 1942 on my secound time around with usgi wood.
I'm listing my H2 tonight.

An SG 1942 with USGI wood would be a wet dream for me. I also realize the likelihood of that happening is slim.

There is no denying the fact that $650 for one of these USGI rifles through the CMP is an outstanding deal that is well worth the wait, and that's why I'm buying as many as I can before they run out. I am just impatient. At an LGS I saw what I would rate as SG and it was at least twice the price of CMP...but it was in stock at the LGS, so they can sell it for whatever they want. I just wish I got my LTC sooner when the CMP had carbines, bolt action rifles, and real collector grades with USGI wood.

Good luck with your AR sale. Maybe save the proceeds for an IHC if you don't already have one?

I don't see the ihc hitting the market anytime soon. Especially service grades. I may order one just to have the brand. I want shooters so a SG special is out. I might just accesorize the ones I have. Nice 1907 slings and bayonets. I have a import stamped carbine I been eye balljng for possible sale? For now its safe as its position is way in the back of the safe. I'm to lazy to dig it out for now.

That is very true. Rumors of IHCs being offered through the CMP are as rampant as speculation about the Korean Garands being returned to the US Army. CMP has that LC carbine ammo for sale right now...might be time to order some ammo and dig the carbine out to shoot her!

ETA: I do need to get a couple slings, thanks for reminding me. Turner Saddlery here I come.

There's a cmp shoot not a match in Hanson ma 8am set up 9am start. 35.00/60 rends rifle target and range time. Very informal and more introductory.

All went well, not a hitch. Shot the HRA today @ 100 yards reduced course. shot a 436...thats good for me and a garand.

off hand
103_3404_zps8586b612.jpg

prone
103_3403_zps01e1a51e.jpg

rapid sitting ( wrong pic)
103_3402_zpsc7a3bc44.jpg

rapid prone
103_3401_zps87a17690.jpg

so it shoots pretty good

Last edited:
M1 trigger work

Up untill now I have been happy with my M1 triggers they are smooth with nice worn contacts (park has worn off) but the lonnnggggg 2nd stage is getting to me these days. So for my rifle I shoot in the matches im finally going to do the trigger "job" this wont really cut the pull weight plus I want to be JCG garand match legal so it needs to be 4.5lbs min. My goal is to decrease the creep in the 2nd stage

I've done it on a few of my M1 triggers. I think it feels great. Just start slow and do a little at a time. You'll start to feel the creep go away and then the poundage starts to come off. Mine are around 4.8-5lbs with a very crisp break.

I've done it on a few of my M1 triggers. I think it feels great. Just start slow and do a little at a time. You'll start to feel the creep go away and then the poundage starts to come off. Mine are around 4.8-5lbs with a very crisp break.

i even have a few trigger groups, I just keep putting the trigger off for other projects...

Back
Top Bottom