CMP Order: Springfield Armory M1 Garand (Service Grade) -Received! With Pics

So I am excited that I just saw my order for my first Garand (SA M1 Garand SG) changed from processing to shipped.

I sent in all of my CMP Paperwork on 01/11/13 (My birthday) and on 01/31/13 I got the DBU email from CMP. I have been a little worried as they stopped taking orders for the SA SG and hearing nothing on my order and not showing in the estore even though they sent the order to sales. I think it was a week or two ago that my SA SG Garand showed up in the estore and I have been checking it regularly. Today I see that it went to shipped. Tracking number took a couple of hours to be recognized in the system, looks like I will be getting it on Monday. Since I won't be home I am having it routed to a FedEx center close to my work and I can grab it on my way home.

Order Placed: 01/11/13
DBU Email 01/31/13
Shipped: 03/15/13
Received: 03/18/13

I also wanted to post this so anyone that has ordered a Garand from CMP before or after me can get an idea of how long it took for this particular order to progress. Once I get it I will have pictures to share also.

My ammo I ordered early February looks like it hasn't yet shipped either, hopefully that will be soon so I can test this Garand out at the range soon.

Update:

So I got it in and very happy with it. Looks like I got original wood. I was really hoping for original wood and not new wood. It's sticky as hell so now I have to figure out how to clean it all. I snapped some pics with my camera.

Muzzle: 0+
Throat: 2+

null_zpsa2e56d31.jpg

null_zps0a6daa97.jpg

null_zps62be95c4.jpg

b2f8d578-db50-4d77-a2c9-2d23e2016736_zps9ca61be5.jpg

8f84e5a7-3582-4c50-84e0-d4e6d4624e84_zpsa11cfc67.jpg

6f67a24d-e42f-42fb-ab33-f7dbb9844b50_zpsa92a61b1.jpg

e2c52d8a-6d64-42af-8003-0fe4a1d887b9_zpsd035fe40.jpg

Last edited:
now i just ordered a Garand for the first time in 3 years. help me remember. when you say DBU , is this an email that says this? i recevied an email that my notarized letter had expired on 2/25 so i sent it out overnight and got my confirmation they had the new notarized letter and was forwarding my letter to "sales" was that my DBU? or is there something more formal?

my worry is i am travelling out of town on business soon (again ) and i dont want to miss it!

CMP Order: Springfield Armory M1 Garand (Service Grade) - Shipped!

now i just ordered a Garand for the first time in 3 years. help me remember. when you say DBU , is this an email that says this? i recevied an email that my notarized letter had expired on 2/25 so i sent it out overnight and got my confirmation they had the new notarized letter and was forwarding my letter to "sales" was that my DBU? or is there something more formal?

my worry is i am travelling out of town on business soon (again ) and i dont want to miss it!

The DBU email is the one that essentially says "we received your order and are forwarding it on to sales. We will not be able to give you any further status updates on the order until it ships".

FYI- The HXP .30-06 that I ordered from them on Jan 30th was delivered on Wednesday 3/13. So about 6 weeks.

-JR

FYI- The HXP .30-06 that I ordered from them on Jan 30th was delivered on Wednesday 3/13. So about 6 weeks.

-JR

Thanks for the info. I ordered several cans of it on 2/5 but I tried to get some .22 with it also, so no idea what the status of that order is since it's still in "processing" in the estore.

The box of HXP .30-06 we were discussing.

The wait is over, it finally came in tonight! Very happy with it so far. Now I just need to strip it, clean it, lean the ins and outs of it and dig up a little history on it.

I highly recommend one of the spring kits from Orion seven. Although cmp claims to replace worn out parts 3 out of 4 of my op rod springs where below the spec from the spec manual. Will serve you well to buy for spares anyway. If you shoot it its bound to have someparts go. So far for me its been extractors springs and bullet guide.
One other thing......the less you take your garand action/ trigger group out of the stock the better. Same with gas cylender.
The better she will group.....my garands take approx 10-20 rounds to settle and start shooting well.

I highly recommend one of the spring kits from Orion seven. Although cmp claims to replace worn out parts 3 out of 4 of my op rod springs where below the spec from the spec manual. Will serve you well to buy for spares anyway. If you shoot it its bound to have someparts go. So far for me its been extractors springs and bullet guide.
One other thing......the less you take your garand action/ trigger group out of the stock the better. Same with gas cylender.
The better she will group.....my garands take approx 10-20 rounds to settle and start shooting well.
+1 for the experienced advice!

Mac... You've had problems with a bullet guide?
What happened?

the cam area was worn measured .162 when I finally got around to checking out everything in detail. I use the tech manual available thru cmp. Min spec is .179ish. It was a pita to get the clip to go in and release the op rod...

Apologies for the dupe (and I'm sure it's a big one), but while I wait for my first M1, what parts/cleaners/lubes/manuals should I be collecting and what videos should I be watching? I'm the kind of guy who likes to obsess about learning everything possible about things like this, but I want to start with the most important stuff. (I did join the GCA, btw, and got my first magazine! [grin])

Is there a single reference page with links that anyone can recommend?

Ha! I'm the same way. I recommend "Hatcher's book of the Garand" if you want the definitive history of the development of the M1. Scott Duff has published some really good M1 reference books as well.

As mac1911 pointed out, grab an orion7 spring kit or spare parts kit.

I just use plain old mobil1 synthetic grease for lube. Here is a reference that shows the lube points.
M1 Garand (Lubrication)

Surplus rifle is a great reference for field strip details.
Collecting and Shooting the U.S. M1 Garand .30 Rifle - HISTORY

Also, nutnfancy did an AWESOME 2 part series on the M1 rifle on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom