CMP is Limiting Garands

I see you're in the Merrimack Valley, couldn't you just have it held at the Wilmington, Chelmsford, or Billerica FedEx?

My first CMP delivery was in 2000 while my house was undergoing an addition/renovations. I wasn't home with FedEx came but the carpenters (all hunters) knew what was in the box and told me when I got home. FedEx returned the next day and I'm pretty sure I had to sign for it.

Depots are open late. IIRC FedEx depots are open until 7PM. I'll assume UPS is similar, so many folks can hit them after work.

Late would be good, give me time to get over there, or I could leave a little early. That route means I'd have to delay gratification though [rofl].

Based on majspud's post in the other thread, it looks like they don't need much more than an inspection and lubrication. If that's the case, if I arrived and I was home then I could make it to the range same day, all things being equal.

If I'm not able to get my hands on one before they stop orders again, I will truly feel cursed.

By act of congress they have always shipped to individuals. However, the compromise for the pistols was that they would get an FFL and only ship to FFLs

Correction: They would only ship to FFL DEALERS, not just to FFLs since a C&R license IS an FFL and they stated they won't ship to C&R FFLs.

Based on majspud's post in the other thread, it looks like they don't need much more than an inspection and lubrication. If that's the case, if I arrived and I was home then I could make it to the range same day, all things being equal.

I would strongly suggest to perform a full break down, cleaning, assembly and grease job.

Personally I've received a few out of spec parts on CMP rifles. One bullet guide had a deformed tip. May have passed their test fire but I'm fairly certain the rifle probably wouldn't have fed in semi-auto. Mind you this was a Field Grade.......

Plus it's fun to do, gives you something to do for the evening and you might find a cool or rare part inside.

I would strongly suggest to perform a full break down, cleaning, assembly and grease job.

Personally I've received a few out of spec parts on CMP rifles. One bullet guide had a deformed tip. May have passed their test fire but I'm fairly certain the rifle probably wouldn't have fed in semi-auto. Mind you this was a Field Grade.......

Plus it's fun to do, gives you something to do for the evening and you might find a cool or rare part inside.

Yes, I should have been more precise with the term "inspection." I always break down any newly acquired firearm. If it's new from the factory, it gets a breakdown and a cleaning.

Good heads up on the deformed part. They're good in making things right, I assume?

Yes, I should have been more precise with the term "inspection." I always break down any newly acquired firearm. If it's new from the factory, it gets a breakdown and a cleaning.

Good heads up on the deformed part. They're good in making things right, I assume?

Yes, their customer service dept. is top notch.

Im a little surprised they used Win receivers on the CMP specials figured they would just auction all those off

Based on what I saw on the sales table in vermont, I think the Win receivers they use are C grade. The roll marks were very very light, so they probably sandblasted them a bit. New park covers all that up.

Based on what I saw on the sales table in vermont, I think the Win receivers they use are C grade. The roll marks were very very light, so they probably sandblasted them a bit. New park covers all that up.

There has been some pretty ratty receivers on the auction site ..... any how I won't pay 200$ more just for a win ....

There has been some pretty ratty receivers on the auction site ..... any how I won't pay 200$ more just for a win ....

Personally I'd rather have a worn original, or worn usgi arsenal refinish vs a commercial cmp grey job, but some guys think just the opposite and that's fine too.

Personally I'd rather have a worn original, or worn usgi arsenal refinish vs a commercial cmp grey job, but some guys think just the opposite and that's fine too.

really depends what you want..... so far eveyone i know that has a special bought it to shoot it and they all shoot well. Hard to build out a nice M1 for the price the specials go for...unless your sitting on a stock pile of parts from 10 years ago.

really depends what you want..... so far eveyone i know that has a special bought it to shoot it and they all shoot well. Hard to build out a nice M1 for the price the specials go for...unless your sitting on a stock pile of parts from 10 years ago.

Yep, everyone has different tastes. The specials are nice. My "ratrod" match m1 definitely cost more to build from parts than a special.

http://i.imgur.com/PcEPIJq.png

Last edited:
Give them three months or so to restock. Each sell-out will be a little longer until they are supposedly gone by 2018.

T

Well, maybe for New Year's or thereafter if the stars align. I guess the only option is to keep everything ready to go and send it as soon as they open up again.

I signed up for the mailing list, do they usually give a heads up when the orders are about to reopen (or shortly after they open up)?

Well, maybe for New Year's or thereafter if the stars align. I guess the only option is to keep everything ready to go and send it as soon as they open up again.

I signed up for the mailing list, do they usually give a heads up when the orders are about to reopen (or shortly after they open up)?

Just as quickly as you heard about them stopping sales...... you will hear about them restarting sales.

I'm surprised they haven't increased prices this year.

Just as quickly as you heard about them stopping sales...... you will hear about them restarting sales.

I'm surprised they haven't increased prices this year.

CMP pattern to price increase is long spells between open orders....and they seem to like to do it right after the first of the year.... Im not sure how high the price will go on Service grades but I think CMP will keep a steady increase as long as people are buying.
I was talking to a old timer at the club and he says he stopped buying mail order CMP when they where 625$ shipped thats a few years ago at least. He and his buddies where buying the 12 guns per limit and shredding them for parts and building the most "correct M1s as possible and selling off other parts.
They say now the parts are not worth the effort anymore. He says he has 45 M1s left in his collection. He at one point had 100 M1s and I know he has a M1d ,C from cmp lottery plus a really nice late SA from CMP in un issued condition with foil still on sights from the auction site. He has sold most of his collection at a auction about 3 years ago.

Would be too early for you to get a DBU based on the new order timeline, nevermind be in the e-store

No, I get that...I can wait...i'm just wondering if it's actually going to happen. If they actually fill order postmarked before their cutoff.

I guess I'll find out next week or so and I'll keep you guys updated.

No, I get that...I can wait...i'm just wondering if it's actually going to happen. If they actually fill order postmarked before their cutoff.

I guess I'll find out next week or so and I'll keep you guys updated.

you could put your order in for the special right now send it USPS flat rate and it will be there sat morning. then cancel your SG order?

The whole point of a Special is to have something that's a good shooter, in very close to as-issued condition. I really don't get the premium for a Winchester receiver. Seems like those would be better utilized for a mixmaster Service or even Field grade.

Saw this on the CMP forum

"Someone called CMP and their response was they would be accepting all orders postmarked on the 28th and received by the 3rd of October. "

Looks like youre gtg Dakar. [thumbsup]

YAY!!!

Looks like I can stop shopping for that Smith Corona 03A3 for the moment! That would have been my luck that I would have won an auction on GB and get my DBU in the same day or something.

Just checked the eStore and there's nothing listed yet, but I have a good feeling that by the end of the week I should hear something.

I'm SO ecstatic about this. I mentioned earlier that both of my current M1's (IHC and Springfield) are fantastic shooters with very little muzzle wear, so I'm hoping I get more of the same with the H&R I requested (If I get an H&R that is).

I'll keep you guys in the loop. Thanks 'headednorth' from keeping me from spending ALL my money at once!

Back
Top Bottom