CMP is Limiting Garands

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
If you're a Garand hoarder, CMPs got your number. In addition to 10 cans of ammo a year, you are now limited to 8 Garands a year. I know this will devastate the forum members here.

So I guess you'd better hurry and get your orders in.

T

It's just a way to extend the cash making machine. From 12 down to eight....heck in the beginning of the DCM program you got 1 for life.
I'm actually surprised they have not yet decreased the 10 can limit on HXP. I see it coming up its just a matter of when.
It's to bad the cmp can't make a deal with PPU as they make some of best M1 safe new production ammo and it's not allot more than HXP looks can stuff.

The price increase is going to come along soon also. I'm going to guess 785$ for service grade is the next jump.

I'm a little surprised to see a reference to the US ARMY having a say in the sales of the M1 and the limits. I had figured once t army turns the stuff over to cmp they could do as they see fit.

Last edited:
Yeah, not a bad move. I've seen a few reported instances on the CMP forums on guys with deep pockets who buy 12 at once at an attempt to fill holes in their collections. There's a current post on CMP about a guy who bought 10 and half of them were SA rebuilds.............

A while back on the forums there was a post from Orest saying most guys buy 1 Garand and that's it. So it's a small percentage of guys buying multiple rifles. Of course these are the guys who frequently post to the forums, so it might seem like everyone's grabbing multiples.

I think the other side of the coin is dealers who buy 12 at once and turn around to re-sell them. We've all seen the reports from gun shows "I saw the original CMP hangtag dated last month, the guy was asking $1200". This has always been a point of discussion and contention on the forums.

The HXP spam cans are already sold out on the e-store. I wonder how much longer HXP will last for and what the impact will be. Now is the time to invest in HXP or learn how to reload.

Last edited:
MOU US Army & CMP

''Per the newly completed and signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the U.S. Army and the Civilian Marksmanship Program, M1 Garands will be limited to eight per calendar year, per customer. The new limit of eight M1 Garands goes into effect immediately and any customer who has purchased over eight will not be allowed to purchase more M1 Garands until 1 Jan., 2017. The CMP considers any item containing an M1 Garand receiver with a serial number to be an M1 Garand and will deduct from the eight M1 Garand rifle limit per year."

Curious what the backstory is here. Tinfoil-hatters implicate Obama's last gasp at gun control. Maybe not so tinfoil, given import restrictions on old rifles...

I'm thinking concern over resellers of limited-availability rifles. No doubt much easier to buy one from someone else with a dozen plus to pick from than CMP.

Yeah, not a bad move. I've seen a few reported instances on the CMP forums on guys with deep pockets who buy 12 at once at an attempt to fill holes in their collections. There's a current post on CMP about a guy who bought 10 and half of them were SA rebuilds.............

A while back on the forums there was a post from Orest saying most guys buy 1 Garand and that's it. So it's a small percentage of guys buying multiple rifles. Of course these are the guys who frequently post to the forums, so it might seem like everyone's grabbing multiples.

I think the other side of the coin is dealers who buy 12 at once and turn around to re-sell them. We've all seen the reports from gun shows "I saw the original CMP hangtag dated last month, the guy was asking $1200". This has always been a point of discussion and contention on the forums.

The HXP spam cans are already sold out on the e-store. I wonder how much longer HXP will last for and what the impact will be. Now is the time to invest in HXP or learn how to reload.

Right but also you need to consider the shift in ammo to "creedmore" I see creedmore partnering with cmp, all to soon and creedmore will take over the non government sales of guns and ammo.???

I also know a few guys who buy the 12 gun limit to find guns and parts.
They have not done this as much as in the past as the cmp is pretty good at cherry picking key rifles and parts.

Back in 2008 orest said 3 years for rifles and maybe less for ammo.

That's why I'm tempted to pick up 900 rounds of 'fresh' surplus (1992 Yugo) for my Mausers. That should last me three years. I still have 7-800 of 50's Yugo.

I still would like a Winchester Garand if they ever appear again.

T

Right but also you need to consider the shift in ammo to "creedmore" I see creedmore partnering with cmp, all to soon and creedmore will take over the non government sales of guns and ammo.???

I also know a few guys who buy the 12 gun limit to find guns and parts.
They have not done this as much as in the past as the cmp is pretty good at cherry picking key rifles and parts.

Back in 2008 orest said 3 years for rifles and maybe less for ammo.

Right..... They raffled out some boxes Creedmore ammo in -06 and .308 in Vermont. Overheard a guy say under his breath "I can load better ammo for cheaper"....and I can't disagree or argue with that.

Right..... They raffled out some boxes Creedmore ammo in -06 and .308 in Vermont. Overheard a guy say under his breath "I can load better ammo for cheaper"....and I can't disagree or argue with that.
that's actually some very good ammo and IMHO a waste to run through all but a full blown National Match M1.
The Creedmoor offered through CMP is a bargin vs some other match ammo and even cheap 30-06
If you ask me the PPU M2 clone stuff for 70ish cents per round is pretty darn good and in a service grade rifle I don't think you will see a huge gain in accuracy with the 1.00+ stuff.

The creedmoor use the lapua 167 grain match bullet which you will be hard pressed to find for much less than 40 cents each if you can find them at all. Lapua brass also. Can more accurate ammo be loaded cheaper sure it can. Although for what creedmoor offers through the cmp its not a bad deal.
Lapua brass alone on sale seldom falls below 80 cents each.
I don't know how much of the creedmoor ammo cmp has left but the word I got was a 3million round contract with creedmoor for cmp. You cant really find lapua 30-06 anything for much less than 2$ per round.

its all good buy as much as you can when you can if you like to shoot. Anything really HXP , reloading supplies stock up now things are not getting cheaper

Well I guess the original intent of the CMP was to get people out to the range, shooting and improving their skills, not buying up a dozen rifles and tearing them down for parts or adding them to the pile of rifles already stacked up in the closet. Maybe not such a bad thing.

Well I guess the original intent of the CMP was to get people out to the range, shooting and improving their skills, not buying up a dozen rifles and tearing them down for parts or adding them to the pile of rifles already stacked up in the closet. Maybe not such a bad thing.

Totally agree. The CMP's mission is to promote marksmanship, not collecting. I appreciate how the collectors preserve history and knowledge, but their multiple purchases are simply providing sales to the CMP in order to fund CMP marksmanship programs. Last week I took SAFS and shot the EIC M16 match that follows SAFS. $50 for a long (but fun and worthwhile) day including ammo is a steal and only covers about 1/3 of their cost. Balance covered by the CMP's budget, which is funded by sales such as the Garands.

Honestly, I'd be good with a much smaller limit. During a Q&A last week, CMP's CEO Mark Johnson informed us that they expect to run out of Garands in 2018.

Honestly, I'd be good with a much smaller limit. During a Q&A last week, CMP's CEO Mark Johnson informed us that they expect to run out of Garands in 2018.

Well that makes my goal of ordering one by year's end seem a little safer. I'm a little torn because I bet the majority of folks who buy more than have good intentions, and if you've got the money, well then... But on the other hand, it would prevent folks like who haven't been able to get one yet, or younger shooters from getting one other than from an expensive dealer or FTF.

Eight/year is probably a fair limit. My suspicion is that at that volume, you're straying from the purpose of the CMP.

That's why I'm tempted to pick up 900 rounds of 'fresh' surplus (1992 Yugo) for my Mausers. That should last me three years. I still have 7-800 of 50's Yugo.

I still would like a Winchester Garand if they ever appear again.

T
I just bought. Wra special grade at the new england games this past weekend. I think there only available in stores though.

Yeah it's to promote marksmanship out of all those I know who own garands I would say less than 10% actually shoot them or attend any type of match.
The cmp does well on the money coming in. 300mil in the kitty at one point. Look to see what the board of directors make.... it's all good.

Yeah it's to promote marksmanship out of all those I know who own garands I would say less than 10% actually shoot them or attend any type of match.

I don't understand how people do that. My first inclination is to clean and inspect every inch, get 'er ready, and then off to the range ASAP. I'm excited for the M1 match in October, albeit nervous.

I don't understand how people do that. My first inclination is to clean and inspect every inch, get 'er ready, and then off to the range ASAP. I'm excited for the M1 match in October, albeit nervous.

I dont know myself.... fine you have a well documented unissued correct piece thats fine. But for your average service grade CMP M1 it was born to shoot....

I dont know myself.... fine you have a well documented unissued correct piece thats fine. But for your average service grade CMP M1 it was born to shoot....

I'm guilty of this. I have a few Garands that I've never shot. 2 are really nice SA rebuilds - a Winny and an SA. The other is a Field Grade that I just haven't found the time to shoot and may never will. Between practicing for matches and shooting matches (and having other responsibilities in life), there's not enough time.

I have too many Garands and have actually earmarked a few I want to sell - probably only going to keep the SA, Winchester, IHC and HRA along with my match M1 (parts gun built on grade C cmp receiver).

Last edited:
Usually field grades. Check the CMP forum; members post scouting reports every time they visit so you know what was there within the last 48 hours or so.

T

I'm planning a road trip to CMP in February to hand pick one. Are there always a few in stock?

I was at the store in Ohio a few months ago and it was pretty picked over. Mostly beat up rack grades and specials. This was my 5th year in a row and every year they get worse and worse. I would bet a lot of that has to do with guys who used to buy 12 at a time just to resell at gun shows.

I was at the store in Ohio a few months ago and it was pretty picked over. Mostly beat up rack grades and specials. This was my 5th year in a row and every year they get worse and worse. I would bet a lot of that has to do with guys who used to buy 12 at a time just to resell at gun shows.

could be just logistics also.... down sizing stores and buildings along with inventory. I will take a quess that the few that buy 12 a year is small percent of sales. might just be me but your average M1 on LGS shelves tend to stay there as they are generally all way over priced. I cant see a dealer buying 12 rifles at full retail of 730$ from the cmp to try and turn them over. Seems like a lot to dish out in capital when you can just buy the old widows guns for 60% or less or put stuff on consignment?

I think its just easier for the cmp to mail order or put things on the cmp auction than run a "store"

I'm guilty of this. I have a few Garands that I've never shot. 2 are really nice SA rebuilds - a Winny and an SA. The other is a Field Grade that I just haven't found the time to shoot and may never will. Between practicing for matches and shooting matches (and having other responsibilities in life), there's not enough time.

I have too many Garands and have actually earmarked a few I want to sell - probably only going to keep the SA, Winchester, IHC and HRA along with my match M1 (parts gun built on grade C cmp receiver).

yes but you are at least shooting. you cant always have time to shoot them all. I dont remember the last time I shot my 1942 SA ? When I get a chance to shoot I shoot matches so that generally means my "match" gun. As issued built with new barrel tight fitted stock and a trigger job with a crisp 4lb 10oz trigger to keep it as issued legal.
The other guns are in a rotation. I get out to the range once a month so it can be over a year before certain guns come around for their turn.

I have friends that have guns that just dont shoot. When I could afford to I invited everyone I know to come shoot cmp at pembroke and hanson and the amount of people who turned it down and didnt show was staggering. As with the Karma I was running just the lack of entries was a little bit of a surprise. Although I will say I got 2 hooks in pretty good with that karma.

the more people who go to CMP or any shooting events even if its only a few times a year keep the events going. The CMP turn out locally here dwindles each year no matter the firearms.
I really thought we would see a slight increase when the CMP started the "mondern military " class....not so much?

I sent in my order for my first 2 today. I applied for my c&r over 2 years ago specifically to purchase a Garand. I am grateful that it seems I didn't yet miss the opportunity to own one. I intend to buy a few more next year. One will be mine, one for each of my children, and I'd like to transfer one to my business partner and one to my best friend.
I'm looking forward to seeing the credit card charges go through.

I sent in my order for my first 2 today. I applied for my c&r over 2 years ago specifically to purchase a Garand. I am grateful that it seems I didn't yet miss the opportunity to own one. I intend to buy a few more next year. One will be mine, one for each of my children, and I'd like to transfer one to my business partner and one to my best friend.
I'm looking forward to seeing the credit card charges go through.
You did not need your CR to get M1 from cmp.

You did not need your CR to get M1 from cmp.

I haven't double checked the form or process, but if I recall my GOAL membership and LTC cover the organizational/activity requirements. If you don't have C&R you can ship to FFL (or if you live in a state that apparently requires this).

Back
Top Bottom