CMP is Limiting Garands

AFAIK

REGARDING THE MARKSMANSHIP/FIREARMS SAFETY REQUIREMENT, I WAS WONDERING IF AN EXPIRED C&R LICENSE WILL QUALITY?

A.
An expired C&R does satisfy the “marksmanship or other firearms related activity” requirement.

this is the only thing a C&R is good for..... Maybe some State Laws require FFL or C&R but I was under the impression the CMP will not ship to a C&R just on the fact you have a C&R?

GOAL covers your Affiliation and your LTC covers the "marksmenship or other firearms related activity" it also covers the required state requirement to satisfy the cmp your "legal" to posses such items.

now if you live in a state where state law requires to ship to a FFL or C&R in order to get items shipped directly to you I believe the CMP will ship to FFL dealer only at that point.?

Your Mass LTC will cover the marksmanship or other fire arm related activity.

No need for C&R wrt to an M1 CMP purchase.

Although it's nice to have one....

I haven't double checked the form or process, but if I recall my GOAL membership and LTC cover the organizational/activity requirements. If you don't have C&R you can ship to FFL (or if you live in a state that apparently requires this).

C&R or no C&R they will ship right to your door here. But they are the only organization that can do that. You still MUST enter it in your bound book and eFA-10 it though.

Are they accepting and filling orders. The site indicates sold out etc etc etc?

yes for service grades only with luck of the draw SA or HRA receiver

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

ITEM # DESCRIPTION PRICE
RM1SERVICE M1 Garand, Luck of the draw for Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer. Orders will be filled with next available Service grade rifle. See above for Service Grade description. Rifle shipped in CMP hard rifle case.
$730
Free Shipping

Now Accepting Orders
August 23, 2016

Ah I apparantly missd the service grade. Thank you very much.

yes for service grades only with luck of the draw SA or HRA receiver

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

ITEM # DESCRIPTION PRICE
RM1SERVICE M1 Garand, Luck of the draw for Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer. Orders will be filled with next available Service grade rifle. See above for Service Grade description. Rifle shipped in CMP hard rifle case.
$730
Free Shipping

Now Accepting Orders
August 23, 2016

C&R or no C&R they will ship right to your door here. But they are the only organization that can do that. You still MUST enter it in your bound book and eFA-10 it though.

They'll ship it to your door with no C&R? Did not know that...I'm assuming bound book only applies to a C&R.

So a non-C&R would need to make a bound book and do an FA-10? That seems odd. I could see requiring the FA-10.

a C&R FFL holder needs to put the Garand in his bound book and do an eFA-10, regardless of how he obtains it (CMP, dealer, private sale, etc).

A non-FFL holder needs to do eFA-10 regardless of how he obtains it.

So a non-C&R would need to make a bound book and do an FA-10? That seems odd. I could see requiring the FA-10.

You're giving me a headache!

ONLY FFLs (including C&R FFL) maintain BB. If a C&R FFL sells a C&R gun to a non-FFL, you enter that person's info in your BB (LTC # for MA resident). Just keep in mind that we can NOT act like dealers, so don't get caught selling many C&R guns.

FA-10 is required for all acquisitions no matter how done (inheritance, C&R FFL, FTF, gift, etc.).

I think we were all on the same page :)

My original post was that I didn't know CMP could ship directly to a non-FFL. I figured they could only ship to a C&R or a dealer.

I think we were all on the same page :)

My original post was that I didn't know CMP could ship directly to a non-FFL. I figured they could only ship to a C&R or a dealer.

By act of congress they have always shipped to individuals. However, the compromise for the pistols was that they would get an FFL and only ship to FFLs . . . that was necessary to get a change to their charter (to include pistols) passed by congress. All that likely won't happen due to further shenanigans by our "friend" Sen. Cain.

By act of congress they have always shipped to individuals. However, the compromise for the pistols was that they would get an FFL and only ship to FFLs . . . that was necessary to get a change to their charter (to include pistols) passed by congress. All that likely won't happen due to further shenanigans by our "friend" Sen. Cain.

Is this why part of the ordering form reads like a 4473? I only skimmed it a while back but I recall seeing the familiar items of a 4473 in there. That seems atypical for an item where the buyer will handle the NICS check at pickup.

It's a shame about those 1911s but I guess I'm not overly surprised.

Is this why part of the ordering form reads like a 4473? I only skimmed it a while back but I recall seeing the familiar items of a 4473 in there. That seems atypical for an item where the buyer will handle the NICS check at pickup.

It's a shame about those 1911s but I guess I'm not overly surprised.

Cmp does a nics check so yes part of the ordering process on the paper work is your "4473" kind of.
This is where the congressional charter comes into play.
You by means of the notary and provided paper work are "proving" you are "legal" to posses and declare your you?
AFAIK a CR has zero interest or standing IRT the CMP except they accept CR for proof of marksmenship

So order up!

Cmp does a nics check so yes part of the ordering process on the paper work is your "4473" kind of.
This is where the congressional charter comes into play.
You by means of the notary and provided paper work are "proving" you are "legal" to posses and declare your you?
AFAIK a CR has zero interest or standing IRT the CMP except they accept CR for proof of marksmenship
That's neat that they are able to do that. I figured a non-C&R would just have it shipped to a dealer and do the usual transfer fee, 4473, etc. I'm guessing signature is required when it's dropped off? I once used an FFL to ship a gun for repairs (and receive it back) even though I know warranty is an exemption just because when I'm at work during the day I am not around to sign for it. But since it sounds like you get a reliable delivery date with CMP, I could just schedule a day off.

So order up!

Hopefully. Waiting on a reimbursement in 4-6 weeks that would cover half of a service grade.

That's neat that they are able to do that. I figured a non-C&R would just have it shipped to a dealer and do the usual transfer fee, 4473, etc. I'm guessing signature is required when it's dropped off? I once used an FFL to ship a gun for repairs (and receive it back) even though I know warranty is an exemption just because when I'm at work during the day I am not around to sign for it. But since it sounds like you get a reliable delivery date with CMP, I could just schedule a day off.

UPS, FedEx and even the USPO are very good (if you get a tracking number) on giving you accurate delivery info.

Once you get the tracking number from FedEx, just have it held at your closest FedEx office/ship center. Some here will say that you can't hold it at a FedEx office but that's what I've done with all my CMP rifle/ammo purchases. It may vary depending where you live. Only way to find out is when you get the tracking number, click on customize delivery then hold at a FedEx location, it will list the available locations (after you enter your zip) for pickup.

Does CMP ship with one particular vendor (like FedEx)? I've got plenty of PTO time so taking a day is fine, if it comes earlier enough I'll get to play around with it. It's more a matter of knowing which day specifically it's going to come. Nothing like burning a day just twiddling my thumbs.

Does CMP ship with one particular vendor (like FedEx)? I've got plenty of PTO time so taking a day is fine, if it comes earlier enough I'll get to play around with it. It's more a matter of knowing which day specifically it's going to come. Nothing like burning a day just twiddling my thumbs.

As far as I know, they only ship via FedEx. Granted I've only bought 1 garand, 1 carbine, and a few cans of ammo from them - all of which shipped via FedEx.

CMP will notify you with tracking. Over time they have used both FedEx and I think UPS. My guess is that they contract with one vendor for the best deal, but it could change over the years.

It's Fedex. Once the item ships, you can request (to Fedex, not CMP) to hold the package at a local facility.

currently CMP uses FEDEX for everything AFAIK. Since 2008 everything I have received comes fedex...
Now one thing you can do on new orders with fresh paper work is list a shipping address thats more convenient. I use my work address.
NOW the key is unless you submit a new order form with a new Notary this will be your shipping address for the cmp until you send in a new form with a current Notary.
Fedex will do 3 attempts before sending it to the local main hub...for me thats almost a hour in any direction....
All my M1s have come on fridays before 12pm .

The hubs can be a hassle, but best option for some guys. +1 on the work address. I've take a first look at many an M1 in the storage room here at work.

The hubs can be a hassle, but best option for some guys. +1 on the work address. I've take a first look at many an M1 in the storage room here at work.

I have had the same fedex guy for 10 years he sticks around until I open the box....

currently CMP uses FEDEX for everything AFAIK. Since 2008 everything I have received comes fedex...
Now one thing you can do on new orders with fresh paper work is list a shipping address thats more convenient. I use my work address.
NOW the key is unless you submit a new order form with a new Notary this will be your shipping address for the cmp until you send in a new form with a current Notary.
Fedex will do 3 attempts before sending it to the local main hub...for me thats almost a hour in any direction....
All my M1s have come on fridays before 12pm .

Work would be a no-go given the layout. I could try a relative's address a few towns over that will be home during the day but it's not worth it. I think I'll just schedule a day off on the delivery date once I have it. I'll be too distracted/excited anyway. I remember when I ordered a complete upper once and got no tracking info at all, and it was not signature required. So it was kind of a nuisance not knowing if I would come home to find a complete lower sitting there on the porch. Two months prior we had a string of people swiping packages off of other peoples' doorsteps, too.

Work would be a no-go given the layout. I could try a relative's address a few towns over that will be home during the day but it's not worth it. I think I'll just schedule a day off on the delivery date once I have it. I'll be too distracted/excited anyway. I remember when I ordered a complete upper once and got no tracking info at all, and it was not signature required. So it was kind of a nuisance not knowing if I would come home to find a complete lower sitting there on the porch. Two months prior we had a string of people swiping packages off of other peoples' doorsteps, too.

I see you're in the Merrimack Valley, couldn't you just have it held at the Wilmington, Chelmsford, or Billerica FedEx?

My first CMP delivery was in 2000 while my house was undergoing an addition/renovations. I wasn't home with FedEx came but the carpenters (all hunters) knew what was in the box and told me when I got home. FedEx returned the next day and I'm pretty sure I had to sign for it.

Depots are open late. IIRC FedEx depots are open until 7PM. I'll assume UPS is similar, so many folks can hit them after work.

Back
Top Bottom