CMP Bonanza!

I think I'm screwed too although I went for an 03A3 and an M44 which I think weren't the most sought-after.

If it doesn't go through, I'll probably switch it to a Garand.

Still havent heard a peep...no email, phone call, or e-store entry. I'm kinda resigned to the fact I'm SOL, but hey, we'll see.
As if on cue this morning...could just be for the GXP ammo I added to the order though.
Subject: CMP ORD RECEV 10-03-11

We have received and verified your recent order. Your order will now advance to our sales area and from there to our shipping area. Please note, that unless otherwise listed, our order to ship time is at least 30 to 60 days.

You will receive other emails as the order progresses.

Your customer # is XXXXXX. Please use this customer # in any communications with us concerning the order as that is where all of your information is stored.

Thank you for your order and support of our program.

I got my DBU yesterday as well. My order was sent in for Saturday delivery and yesterday is the first I've heard from them. I'm less hopeful than I was the day I sent it and I wasn't hopeful then either. I sent for a Mark 1 and a Smith Corona. I really wish I lived closer to a CMP store.

My order for Greek M2 ball in enblocs placed right before they pulled it from the store for lack of stock charged last night!!

No official change in the pending order status but I take this as a sign I will get the cans I ordered...

They still have unsafe to fire 03s so what's all the bitching about :)

After looking into that whole "low number 1903" thing pretty in-depth when I was looking to buy a 1903, I happen to think the whole thing was largely overblown. I'd hazard to say I'd buy one and blast away all day long if I could get one for $400 less than from a dealer.

Old NES thread: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/18937-Low-number-Springfield-1903-rifles

I always thought this article put it in perspective: http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/
Rate of Receiver Failures

Between 1917 and 1929 there were 68 burst receivers. Of the 68 no serial number were available for 11 receivers, four of those that failed in 1917. Two of the 68 were made at Springfield Armory and had serial numbers in the 950,000 range. Of the remaining 57 receivers 33 were manufactured by Springfield Armory and 24 by Rock Island. Hatcher provided the serial number and the date of failure for all 33 Springfield Armory receivers, and the same data for 22 of the 24 Rock Island receivers (see Hatcher, pp 442-447). This information was used in the analysis that follows. The overall failure rate by 1929 was 68/1,085, 506 or 6.3 per 100,000 receivers. The failure rate varied by site of manufacture, and each manufacturer is discussed separately.
The murder rate in the United States in 2008 5.22 per 100,000 persons.

The odd of having a low numbered receiver failure measured from the first 26 years of the rifle's service life was 6.3 per 100,000 receivers.

Putting Risk Into Perspective

It's hard for people to personalize risk to their own situation. The following are some risks of dying with common place activities that are of similar magnitude to serious injury from the failure of a Springfield receiver.

Risk of One Death per 100,000 population in a Single Year Caused By:

Riding a bicycle 100 miles

Smoking 14 cigarettes

Living 20 months with a smoker

Traveling 1500 miles by automobile

Traveling 10,000 miles by jet aircraft
I'd take those odds.

Last edited:
Yes, but consider just how much precautions many people take to avoid being murdered.
Meaning your odds of being murdered are inately higher than getting slammed in the grille by a bolt from a shattered low numbered receiver? That seems to reinforce my point.

Even then, you're only likely to suffer some facial injury, and the risk of it being serious is even less. No one has ever been killed by a low numbered receiver according to the article.

Last edited:
My order for 192 rounds of Greek M2 ball loaded in clips hit my credit card today. Still no shipping info, but it must be a good sign!

Weird, now I have a DBU. Of course, that's after finding out that an agent of the devil called DFAS has messed something up.

My order for Greek M2 ball in enblocs placed right before they pulled it from the store for lack of stock charged last night!!

No official change in the pending order status but I take this as a sign I will get the cans I ordered...

Just got my ship notification on the ammo. Woot.

I fell into a good deal on some CMP guns a Rem. 541x and a Rem 513t. With mags and front sights miss rear sights
The 541 is in excon. The 513 is in very good con. And a Mossberg 320 b. Out the door for $550.00.

OK, so the CMP emailed me a second time asking if I wanted to change my order since the High Number 1903 I asked for was sold out. They offered me a low number 1903.

I know, I know. There are potential issues with the heat treating of the low number receivers, resulting in a (really low) number of failures and injuries, which lead to a change in the manufacturing process way back in the day. So I've been reading up. It looks like some of the documented failures were related to poorly manufactured ammo or (sometimes) 8mm Mauser ammo being used by mistake, not the receiver itself. In any case, apparently there have been no documented failures since 1929.

Yes, there is a long thread at NES on the subject, and much more discussion elsewhere all over the 'net.

So, I'm going to order one of these babies anyway. And I plan to shoot it. Not with commercial .30-06, mind you, but my own M2 Ball reloads, which have the right ballistic characteristics with regard to pressure and expansion rate.

If my decision scares you don't stand behind me when I'm shooting (since the bolt might go through my eye and out the back of my head).

I would have got one if my orders weren't filled. I would also bring it to the range and shoot it. The failure rate was extremely low, but the safety of the troops was important so the US Government just said to not use them. I hope you get a good one.

Back
Top Bottom