CMP Ammo order question

I had always assumed the Notary Public part of the CMP order form was only used if you were odering a rifle. I'm going to order some Greek HXP .30-06 and it seems you do need the Notary section filled out.

Is this correct? Also, where would be a good place to find one? I've found a few using internet searches but most seem to be people who work for real estate agencies, law offices, mortgage companies, etc. It would just seem strange to me to walk into one of those places and ask for a Notary to fill out my CMP form so I can order some ammunition.............I'd imagine a few blank or troubled stares would come my way.

I had always assumed the Notary Public part of the CMP order form was only used if you were odering a rifle. I'm going to order some Greek HXP .30-06 and it seems you do need the Notary section filled out.

Is this correct? Also, where would be a good place to find one? I've found a few using internet searches but most seem to be people who work for real estate agencies, law offices, mortgage companies, etc. It would just seem strange to me to walk into one of those places and ask for a Notary to fill out my CMP form so I can order some ammunition.............I'd imagine a few blank or troubled stares would come my way.

Try your bank. They are only notarizing that you are, in fact the person who signed it,
nothing else. Most RE notaries will do it for free. You can also try your library and they
sometimes provide that service FOC.

Last time I ordered ammo I just did it thru the E-store since I was already set up as customer. I dont think you need the notary stamp for ammo and parts, just rifles.

I ordered a carbine from them with the notarized order form , our local branch of the bank has a notary, many banks do.

Then when I order ammo, I just do it online, and they have my account on record.

I wish I had ordered more of that .30 carbine before it went up!

You should read the CMP site - I believe they say whether you need the notary stamp for ammo and rifles - or just the rifles. Either way if you think you are going to order other stuff in the future it is pretty easy to get a notary stamp. I believe most bank branches will have a notary. When I originally sent in my paperwork I stopped at my local DCU branch and one of the tellers turned out to be a notary.

I can't remember the exact details now but the notary stamp allows CMP to send orders out to you during that 2 year period without going thru all the usual identity verification. You just send in your orders or do them thru the Estore - and boxes arrive on your porch.

I ordered a carbine from them with the notarized order form , our local branch of the bank has a notary, many banks do.

Then when I order ammo, I just do it online, and they have my account on record.

I wish I had ordered more of that .30 carbine before it went up!

Have you been using the Aquila? How is it? I have been using another brand and it has been fine - but the Aquila looks like it might be just a bit cheaper.

Have you been using the Aquila? How is it? I have been using another brand and it has been fine - but the Aquila looks like it might be just a bit cheaper.

Aguila works fine for me. It's pretty clean burning actually.

I heard that military officers are all notaries or something. Does that mean active duty only?

This is incorrect. Some may be but only if they have applied to do so. When I was assigned to Westover the Legal Office secretary was a notary (I think her position required it) and she notarized several CMP orders for me.

I stopped by town hall today and a nice lady in the Clerk's office took care of it for me. So I am awaiting 2 768 round cases.....it actually makes me salivate a little...

Anyhow, how long does it usually take for their ammo to arrive? Hopefully it's a shorter wait than a rifle!

Orders are processed in the order that they are received. However, your ammo may ship faster than the rifles ahead of it in the processing line because it's easier to pack up and ship and easier to process.

Not to get your hopes up, but I got a new stock set for my Garand from CMP...3 days from order to front door. Ammo needs to be signed for tho and I think Fedex will not keep it in their warehouse overnight (that's what I read somewhere).

The Notary is if you want to keep your name on record for 2 years without having to send in the ammo statement for every order.

Unless of course things have changed.

It's 3 years...

In the summer of 2003, the CMP revised the purchase forms and streamlined procedures for repeat customers. If you complete a new Universal Purchaser Certification and Agreement to buy a rifle from the CMP, signed before a Notary Public on or after July 1, 2003, you may for a period of three (3) years thereafter submit an application to purchase additional rifles, parts or ammunition without having the Purchaser Certification and Agreement notarized - provided that the "SOLD TO" and “SHIP TO” address on the order form remains exactly the same.

And if you move (change shipping address during that time, you'l need to have a new notarization)

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/ordering_information.htm

Not to get your hopes up, but I got a new stock set for my Garand from CMP...3 days from order to front door. Ammo needs to be signed for tho and I think Fedex will not keep it in their warehouse overnight (that's what I read somewhere).

They'll hold it and attempt 3 deliveries before it's sent back...

FEDEX delivers while I’m at work. Can you have them just leave the package?

Sorry, we won’t do that. We require that the driver obtain an adult signature for each package. If no one is at home, FEDEX leaves a notice and a number for you to call to arrange delivery or pickup at their terminal. If FEDEX fails to deliver after three attempts, they will either call us for instructions or return the package to Anniston.

http://www.odcmp.com/faqs.htm

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but the answers to all these questions can be found on the ODCMP website, or if not answered, on the ODCMP Forums.

The admin (Orest), checks in and answers questions frequently... if you read it from him, you know it's the final answer.

Finally... regardless of any ammo/notorization requirements, I'd get all my ducks in order and submit any of the requirements that the ODCMP asks so that your memebership and staus is on file should some "surprise" overseas shipment
appear out of the horizon.

Last edited:
Yes it is, and it was used. My MA Class A qualifies for proof of marksmanship participation. Still, you're required to sign "page 2" of the order form in the presence of a Notary, who then fills out their info.

My original question was because to me at least, nothing in the requirements or the order forms make it completely clear if the Notary stuff was necessary for ammunition purchase, or if it was just for rifle purchases, which use the same 3-page order form. It's not a huge deal and I always tend to err on the side of being over cautious, but if it was a step I could skip and get the order out a day earlier, I probably would have done so.

I've had tremendous service from the CMP. They ship ammo pretty quickly. I sent an M1 carbine back because it was failing to chamber and eject properly, and they had it repaired and back to me in one week (replaced slide, bolt, trigger housing, front sight, and I forget what else).

Back
Top Bottom