CMP 03's being released

Not a lot to choose from but...

LATEST CMP SALES NEWS:

NOW ACCEPTING ORDERS FOR M1903 & M1903A3 RIFLES: The M1903 and M1903A3 veterans' organization returns that we have been accumulating for the past year have been inspected and are now ready for sale. Please see http://www.thecmp.org/m1903.htm for descriptions, pricing, and other details.

Because everyone needs a sewer pipe resto project that costs as much as a good gun show/shop find.[rolleyes]

+1 I'm usually a big fan of the CMP and the 03A3 I got from them a few years back is amazing, but I'd avoid these rifles.

The CMP doesn't give the normal "rack grade, service grade, etc" rating for these rifles, but the description didn't sound too promising:

Appearance and overall exterior condition varies from fair to good, except for the barrels. These rifles have been used for ceremonial purposes for decades and probably have fired thousands of blank rounds. Bores may be dark with little or no rifling, pitting, and rust. Wood is sound, but may have minor cracks, dents, scratches and gouges that do not affect function. Metal finish may be worn in spots and minor pitting may be present.

One of the hard lessons I learned RE firearms is that it's worth paying the extra 10%-20% to buy the better gun instead of saving a couple hundred bucks on a cheaper version, because in six months you'll want to upgrade anyway. This seems like one of those situations.

I would love to get a 03 or a 03A3, but not at those prices. I think those prices are to high for to guns in that condition.

That's all well and good, but the CMP has a severe habit of making the condition worse than it appears. All the Rack Grade carbines I've gotten have been great, including one that was about 99% condition.

Back
Top Bottom