Clerk shoots, kills robbery suspect in Gemme's Worcester

[party]

Let's pray that all goes well for this brave clerk in this f***ed up, backwards Commiewealth.

http://telegram.com/article/20081211/NEWS/812110795/1101

WORCESTER— One suspect was fatally shot and police were searching last night for his accomplice after the two tried to rob a liquor store on Richmond Avenue when the clerk pulled a handgun and fired on them, according to police.

The unidentified suspect who was shot multiple times was taken by ambulance to UMass Memorial Medical Center — University Campus, where he was pronounced dead at 10:46 p.m., according to Detective Capt. Edward J. McGinn Jr.

The attempted robbery occurred just after 10 p.m. at Big Bob’s Liquors, 4 Richmond Ave.

Capt. McGinn said at least one of the robbers had a firearm when the men entered the store and tried to hold up the clerk. When the clerk pulled a weapon of his own and shot one of the suspects, the other suspect fled from the store.

Worcester and state police canines were brought to the scene to help in an extensive neighborhood search for the suspect, who left the area on foot. Police were looking into the possibility that a car left in the area belonged to the attempted robbers, but was left behind.

Capt. McGinn said local police were also in contact with police in Fitchburg and Auburn where similar “aggressive” robberies have recently taken place. He said police didn’t know for certain whether there was a connection, but the “possibility remains open.”

The clerk was taken to police headquarters last night and was being interviewed. It was not known whether he would face any charges.

“Our first obligation will be to determine the identity of the suspect who’s been shot and killed,” Capt McGinn said.

Police cordoned off the front and side of the small shop located in a corner building that is also home to PJ’s Hair Tech and Sunny’s Nail Salon.

The shop is on Richmond at the intersection of Pleasant Street.

No further details were available last night.

knowing this dumb ass state they most likely will.

I certainly hope it works out for the Clerk.

Good job.. one less dirt bag on the streets [smile]

The proprietor is a good friend of mine. We were supposed to go to the Springfield show this weekend. I feel so bad for him. His shop has been robbed a couple of times in the past year, but always afterhours. I'm telling myself that our trips to the range this summer and fall helped protect him and his brothers... I'm glad my boy is safe, but his life must be a shitstorm right now.

I've been to that liquor store, I used to live a block from it. It's a sliver of a store and I believe the owner is an immigrant. He was always a nice guy when I went in.

Yes, the owner is a self-made man who hails from Armenia. He's turned his operation into a family business, teaching his brothers the ropes over the past year or so. He supports his entire family - parents and all - with income from his shop. He works ridiculous hours (like 14 hour days) with hardly any days off.

The Worcester licensing board has been stonewalling siting his second store for more than a year. He owns two licenses but each location he finds for the second store gets turned down by the mighty O'Sullivan machine. Now I'm afraid this incident will be very bad both for the second store and for the original one. He leases the store space and the owner of the building could be "pressured" not to renew his lease.

FWIW, the Lt. Governor lives about 2 blocks from this shop. The neighborhood was like an armed camp last night, with cops swarming the area.

Last edited:
I'm glad my boy is safe, but his life must be a shitstorm right now.
No where near the shitstorm it would be if he got shot in the spine and the doctors were telling him how he'd be moved to a rehab facility to learn how to deal with a wheelchair, urinary self catheritization and digitial evacuation for the rest of his life.

The clerk was taken to police headquarters last night and was being interviewed.
Newspeak for "interrogated" :)

Last edited:
Our first obligation will be to determine the identity of the suspect who’s been shot and killed,” Capt McGinn said.

Looks like the same stuff I just flushed down the toilet.

The clerk was taken to police headquarters last night and was being interviewed. It was not known whether he would face any charges.

Probably have it beaten into him that he can't take the law into his own hands. Then in the real world he should be charged with being a hero. In Worcester, he'll probably be charged with 1st degree premeditated murder. After all if he wasn't planning to kill someone why did he have a gun in the store?

Last edited:
Our first obligation will be to determine the identity of the suspect who’s been shot and killed,” Capt McGinn said
They are referring to the killee as the "suspect" which is definitely a good sign. This may be one of those rare cases that is cut and dry - immediate threat, presence of weapon, no previous conflict between criminal and defender, etc. The clerk may have more to worry about from the friends of the miscreants and civil suit that from the grand jury. I hope he had the presence of mind to say something like "I wish to cooperate, but because of the seriousness of the situation, can do so only in the presence of my attorney."

Yes, the owner is a self-made man who hails from Armenia. He's turned his operation into a family business, teaching his brothers the ropes over the past year or so. He supports his entire family - parents and all - with income from his shop. He works ridiculous hours (like 14 hour days) with hardly any days off.

The Worcester licensing board has been stonewalling siting his second store for more than a year. He owns two licenses but each location he finds for the second store gets turned down by the mighty O'Sullivan machine. Now I'm afraid this incident will be very bad both for the second store and for the original one. He leases the store space and the owner of the building could be "pressured" not to renew his lease.

FWIW, the Lt. Governor lives about 2 blocks from this shop. The neighborhood was like an armed camp last night, with cops swarming the area.

I tried to open a nonprofit and sat in on some of those meetings (i remember who your friend is) in Worcester. They are such a pain in the as with liquor licenses, but they are like that everywhere. I hope this isnt somehow held against him :(

We need more immigrants like him.

Worcester shooting

Good job. Another scumbag off the street. I hope the Mass. Judicial System doesn`t destroy a good man defending his livelihood. Hopefully the DA is not a scumbag like the one out in Western Mass.

I wish the guy the best of luck in the upcoming days and nights for his legal troubles and mental state. I'm really interested in hear what Gemme says or how this plays out in the press.

nice shootin, clerk

I work in Worcester, so I'm glad there's one less a55hole on the street. Hopefully the clerk doesn't get into any sort of lawsuit BS or anything else.

Glad to see the clerks not harmed. As others have stated +1 for the good guys. Here is hoping he is not charged with anything as it was justified.

I work part time at an autoparts store that got robbed about 3 months ago from two "skinnies". 2 weeks ago a liquor store in the same strip mall that I work in got robbed by what Worcester detectives said are most likely the same "skinnies". I saw CCT still photos of them from the liquor store robbery- one of the bad guys put a gun to the back of a customer's head and demanded all the clerk's money.

I hope the dead guy is the same due who robbed my store. We have had armed guards at the store for the past 3 months.

Although I have a LTC-A I have never carried while at work.

“Our first obligation will be to determine the identity of the suspect who’s been shot and killed,” Capt McGinn said.

Sounds like who the shootee is will determine if they press charges against the shooter.

Teej - the T&G says two employees were brought in for interviews, both of whom are licensed to carry. I don't want to divulge how many people work at the store, their LTC status, and whether or not they carry for obvious reasons. Suffice it to say that whoever was involved has a valid LTC according to the paper. I don't want to speculate on who did what in this forum.

Derek - may be prudent to shut this one down.

Why? So long as no-one is talking about private knowledge (although KilgoreTrout has skated pretty close on occasion) and none of the victims have joined in here all anyone is talking about is info in the papers. It is good info for gun owners to see everything possible from situations such as this to ensure they make the most prudent choices in the future if confronted with a similar issue.

PS: For full disclosure, I alerted Derek once to a situation before where some guy was spouting off about a gun incident and potentially causing harm to those involved by divulging things he shouldn't have been. I say this as to be clear I am not a hypocrite because this situation is different and that I do see points where the prudent thing would be to shut something down. I just don't agree this is one of those cases.

Last edited:
Mr. Rivera was shot multiple times and taken by ambulance to UMass Memorial Medical Center — University Campus, where he was pronounced dead at 10:46 p.m., according to Detective Capt. Edward J. McGinn Jr.
To quote Ayoob, it sounds as though the cause of death was an acute failure of the victim selection process.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2008...812110795/1116

Good! One more bad guy down, one more good guy safe and sound.

Problem is, the Brady Campaign will be using this in one of their future stats concerning the number of homicides commited with a firearm...no doubt.[angry]

Doesn't matter to them whether it was self-defense or not as long as the numbers look good...

Back
Top Bottom