• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Clerk shoots, kills robbery suspect in Gemme's Worcester

Carry at Work

I work part time at an autoparts store that got robbed about 3 months ago from two "skinnies". 2 weeks ago a liquor store in the same strip mall that I work in got robbed by what Worcester detectives said are most likely the same "skinnies". I saw CCT still photos of them from the liquor store robbery- one of the bad guys put a gun to the back of a customer's head and demanded all the clerk's money.

I hope the dead guy is the same due who robbed my store. We have had armed guards at the store for the past 3 months.

Although I have a LTC-A I have never carried while at work.
Why? Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Our first obligation will be to determine the identity of the suspect who’s been shot and killed,

Our second obligation will be to use whatever the clerk says against him in a criminal trial.

Capt McGinn said.

sorry... this state has made me think that way [thinking]

We are going to see these incidents happen in greater numbers as the economy tanks more, foreclosures accelerate, and the entire state of Michigan gets laid-off. One store clerk protecting himself scares the masses and raises questions about the clerk. 40 clerks protecting themselves over the span of this winter shifts the focus to the robbery epidemic. I wouldn't wish this increase on anyone, but if it is going to happen I hope the owners and their families are prepared. I'll be reaching out my local owner to discuss protection.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2008...812110795/1116

Good! One more bad guy down, one more good guy safe and sound.

Problem is, the Brady Campaign will be using this in one of their future stats concerning the number of homicides commited with a firearm...no doubt.[angry]

Doesn't matter to them whether it was self-defense or not as long as the numbers look good...

Actually the Brady campaign will use this as 1 more homicide with a gun, 1 more child killed with a gun (sounds like the perps were under 28.. the Brady liumit for child), 1 more premeditated murder, 1 more armed assult by someone with an LTC... so Brady says we have a min of 4 gun "crimes" here.. I might be a little sarcastic here, but I bet I am not far from the truth..

Teej - the T&G says two employees were brought in for interviews, both of whom are licensed to carry. I don't want to divulge how many people work at the store, their LTC status, and whether or not they carry for obvious reasons. Suffice it to say that whoever was involved has a valid LTC according to the paper. I don't want to speculate on who did what in this forum.

Good point. Oooh look a shiny nickle. *forgetting the previous question*

The unidentified suspect who was shot multiple times was taken by ambulance to UMass Memorial Medical Center — University Campus, where he was pronounced dead at 10:46 p.m., according to Detective Capt. Edward J. McGinn Jr.
[snip]
Capt. McGinn said local police were also in contact with police in Fitchburg and Auburn where similar “aggressive” robberies have recently taken place. He said police didn’t know for certain whether there was a connection, but the “possibility remains open.”

The clerk was taken to police headquarters last night and was being interviewed. It was not known whether he would face any charges.

Is it just me, or do the bolded sections above all seem to have negative connotations to you guys, too? Just the way things are typed can show that the paper disapproves of this whole thing, even though the clerk was in the right from what they said. You can still see how they're shading it negatively, though.
ohlord.gif

Even though this happen a couple days ago, I bet the knucklehead who got away, is still cleaning out his underwear..

We all arm ourselves to protect ourselves from scumbags like this(the robbers). And when the time comes for one to use deadly force, the shit storm follows. It almost puts a hint of fear in the LTC holders. To pause and make that split second decision on weather or not you take a shot, could cost you your life weather it be by death because the robber took a shot before you could, or the state takes you out because you made a decision to shoot before the robber could.

Hopefully the store owner is one of those rare cases where he actually comes out on top.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for him[thinking][thinking]

[iwojima]

We all arm ourselves to protect ourselves from scumbags like this(the robbers). And when the time comes for one to use deadly force, the shit storm follows. It almost puts a hint of fear in the LTC holders. To pause and make that split second decision on weather or not you take a shot, could cost you your life weather it be by death because the robber took a shot before you could, or the state takes you out because you made a decision to shoot before the robber could.

"Almost"??? Are you kidding me? You haven't been reading this forum much, have you? You talk about shooting an assailant and the nay-sayers come out of the woodwork telling you how you're gonna rot in prison for giving a gangbanger a glimpse of your Beretta Jetfire, much less actually shooting him with it!

Frankly, it's enough to get me to stop reading those threads or start putting people on ignore... 'cause I'm afraid of exactly what you said - thinking of what these guys write will make me hesitate at exactly the wrong moment.

"Almost"??? Are you kidding me? You haven't been reading this forum much, have you? You talk about shooting an assailant and the nay-sayers come out of the woodwork telling you how you're gonna rot in prison for giving a gangbanger a glimpse of your Beretta Jetfire, much less actually shooting him with it!

Frankly, it's enough to get me to stop reading those threads or start putting people on ignore... 'cause I'm afraid of exactly what you said - thinking of what these guys write will make me hesitate at exactly the wrong moment.

I hate to admit it, but I think he has a valid point. The state of the state of affairs in this state regarding firearms means that we are always on the defense. Legal shooting or not the AG seems to have us in their sights.

The truth of the matter is that you are forced to think of just when you can shoot and when you cannot shoot, when you can brandish to get out of a situation and when you cannot brandish to get out of a situation. In any of those scenarios we as legal owners are sometimes in a no win situation.

Shoot and preserve your freedom/property/loved ones with the possible cost of several thousand dollars in legal fees and you in jail for a moment with your loved ones without their protector. Or dont shoot and preserve your freedom/property/loved ones and in a flash the worst occurs.

The state has us in an uncomfortable position.

I think most people despite online bravado, or online meekness understand that and weight the risks accordingly. Men v. Mouse v. The Commonwealth.

Im taking bets that regardless of the outcome of any criminal proceedings that Gemme revokes this store owners LTC on suitability.....

I was thinking on the opposite ....that LTC applications in Worcester might go UP...especially ones from store owners.

We are going to see these incidents happen in greater numbers as the economy tanks more, foreclosures accelerate, and the entire state of Michigan gets laid-off. One store clerk protecting himself scares the masses and raises questions about the clerk. 40 clerks protecting themselves over the span of this winter shifts the focus to the robbery epidemic. I wouldn't wish this increase on anyone, but if it is going to happen I hope the owners and their families are prepared. I'll be reaching out my local owner to discuss protection.

This has been my thoughts all along with the economy tanking. [thinking]

I was thinking on the opposite ....that LTC applications in Worcester might go UP...especially ones from store owners.

This has been my thoughts all along with the economy tanking. [thinking]

Well said. It won't be pretty in these upcoming hard times.

My folks own a packie out here in the sticks of central mass and luckily they have never been robbed. Lucky for the would be crook! [smile] Few smashed windows but thats about it. My hat goes off to this guy. Who cares if they identify the dead guy..... United Rentals has wood chippers for rent....187 bucks a day. Make fertilizer out of the douche [rofl] He should put a sign in the window with the guys face on it with an x through it. Let it be a warning to any other douche monkey that decides to try and rob his ass.

Gun-rights advocates stand by Worcester worker

Rosencrantz wasn't able to find anything to object to in the Big Bob's shooting but he still found a way to make a snide comment about using your firearm in self-defense.

Gun-rights advocates stand by Worcester worker
By Jessica Fargen | Friday, December 12, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Local Coverage
Antiviolence and gun-rights backers banded together yesterday in support of a Worcester liquor store clerk who shot and killed a masked man who allegedly pulled a gun on him during an attempted robbery.

Police said the clerk working Wednesday night at Big Bob’s Liquors was licensed to carry a firearm.

“It sounds like a clear-cut case of self-defense, which is what the Second Amendment is really all about,” said Jim Wallace, director of the Gun Owners Action League of Massachusetts. “The (clerk) was properly lawfully in possession of a firearm. It sounds like a win-win situation.”

Forty-year-old Evan Louis Rivera, who entered the store with another masked man, pointed a gun at one of the clerks and one of the clerks fired back, striking Rivera multiple times, police said. Rivera died 45 minutes later.

John Rosenthal, co-founder of Stop Handgun Violence and a rifle owner, said he supports responsible gun ownership and the use of firearms in self-defense.

“It’s a good thing the store clerk was licensed and trained and prevented this heinous crime,” he said. “If it was all legal, power to the guy.”

Rosenthal said the clerk may have conflicted feelings about the shooting.

“Now he has to live with the consequences of having killed somebody,” he said. “That’s a pretty major consequence. He may find solace that he is alive as a result of being armed.”

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1138553

Rosencrantz said:
Now he has to live with the consequences of having killed somebody. That’s a pretty major consequence. He may find solace that he is alive as a result of being armed.
May?

[rofl]

And the Consequence is ....

The Consequence of the clerk killing the robber is that the clerk is still alive.

I'm fairly sure the clerk can live with that.

My folks own a packie out here in the sticks of central mass and luckily they have never been robbed. Lucky for the would be crook! [smile] Few smashed windows but thats about it. My hat goes off to this guy. Who cares if they identify the dead guy..... United Rentals has wood chippers for rent....187 bucks a day. Make fertilizer out of the douche [rofl] He should put a sign in the window with the guys face on it with an x through it. Let it be a warning to any other douche monkey that decides to try and rob his ass.

I agree. There's not much worse than theives.......

i don't know what kind of mental problems Rosenthal has...
IMO, it's psychosis. Where psychopathy is typically the absence of any emotion (including those composing our "conscience"), psychotics suffer with incessant internal, self-made emotional trauma and turmoil that they mistakenly ascribe to some part of the outside world. They then lash out against that part. Rosenthal thinks it's guns, but I've met a few who found other targets for their rage - my former boss found me.

[grin]

John Rosenthal, co-founder of Stop Handgun Violence and a rifle owner, said he supports responsible gun ownership and the use of firearms in self-defense.

Guys, guys guys! He owns a...wait for it...rifle! He's cool. His opinions can't be biased. But, Lord almighty, he wouldn't be caught dead owning an evil, baby killing handgun! No sir! None for him! But a rifle, now that is OK. Because we all know that nobody ever died from a rifle shot.

Back
Top Bottom