Classifieds Suck Lately

Actually, they are:
When placing an ad...

1. All ad TITLES must begin with either WTS (Want to Sell), WTT (Want to Trade), WTB (Want to Buy), FREE, or some combination (WTT/WTS, etc). Do not forget to put in your state abbreviation in the title.

3. You must include your general (or specific if you want) location in your ad.

I was thinking more of a drop down box where you have to choose your state to proceed to post...should be a similar drop down box with the "wtb", "wts" etc...those 2 drop downs plus a title should be required to have something in them to put up the post...

the other way you could do this is sub forums...so for the wts rifles section you would have to split into sub forums by state which would be way too segmented...

I feel like the drop down boxes would do the job and if there was a state filter in the search function that would be even better...other than that I wouldn't change anything...people are always going to put up crappy photos and descriptions...just have to pass on those or inquire more if you're really interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's hilarious how there so many shields for sale for $500. Listing out a "custom" trigger job and extra magazines... They should cost $200 used at this point. A new shield can be had for $275 after rebate.

I was pretty down on the classifieds recently until I scored a nice mark iii 22/45 for a very good price. My first mark and the reassembly was as bad as I thought it would be. At least not worth paying over twice as much for a mark 4.

I've done a lot with the classified, I think I have over 40 reviewed transactions.

If the Mods decide that it's cool to run the same damn ad for 2-3 years, I'd just like the option of hiding that persons posts in the classifieds. It would clean it up for me but this isn't my site so I just wade through the crap trying to find the deals.

I just dont understand why everyone things they can sell run of the mill, readily available stuff, for $5-10% more than they bought it for...

I just dont understand why everyone things they can sell run of the mill, readily available stuff, for $5-10% more than they bought it for...

Lol there are a lot of gun shops that do this too, never mind people in the classifieds.

-Mike

I was pretty down on the classifieds recently until I scored a nice mark iii 22/45 for a very good price. My first mark and the reassembly was as bad as I thought it would be. At least not worth paying over twice as much for a mark 4.

It's pretty regular, maybe once a month, that I see something that interests me and if I decided I wanted to buy something like it right now, I would pay the asking price. That's not a great signal-to-noise ratio, but it seems worth keeping an eye out on the off chance that something I want shows up at a price I'll pay from somebody who will be convenient enough to deal with. Several times there have been things I would have bought if I hadn't already bought one.

That said, most sellers are unrealistic or not very serious about selling. Whenever I sell something used, and I really want it to move, my intention is to price it well enough that it tempts somebody who is on the fence about buying one. That means I am going to take a loss, but I think of the loss as "rent" on the item while I owned it.

Last edited:
That said, most sellers are unrealistic or not very serious about selling. Whenever I sell something used, and I really want it to move, my intention is to price it well enough that it tempts somebody who is on the fence about buying one. That means I am going to take a loss, but I think of the loss as "rent" on the item while I owned it.
It would be great if the site had a "serious sellers" classifieds and a separate "just screwing around hoping for a sucker" classifieds. Think how much time that would save. [thumbsup]

I was thinking more of a drop down box where you have to choose your state to proceed to post...should be a similar drop down box with the "wtb", "wts" etc...those 2 drop downs plus a title should be required to have something in them to put up the post...

the other way you could do this is sub forums...so for the wts rifles section you would have to split into sub forums by state which would be way too segmented...

I feel like the drop down boxes would do the job and if there was a state filter in the search function that would be even better...other than that I wouldn't change anything...people are always going to put up crappy photos and descriptions...just have to pass on those or inquire more if you're really interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about stuff that can be sold in multiple states?

I think it would be better if you stopped trying to micro-manage a free market to suit your needs.

I think it's hilarious how there so many shields for sale for $500. Listing out a "custom" trigger job and extra magazines... They should cost $200 used at this point. A new shield can be had for $275 after rebate.
What sucks about the rebate is that it will end, and yet purchasers will never remember that and the 200 price point will be stuck in their head forever.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My personal favorite is when I post something for sale and some PMs me with only one question: "why are you selling?"

Really? Out of all the questions you could have wasted my time with, this is the only thing to come to mind? WTF do you care why I am selling it? Do you want it or not?

I've had guys asking me this question from back in the days of the Want Ad circular. Those were the days. Selling a car and having to post your phone number and actually talk to a bunch of freaks in order to make a sale.

Anyway, is "why are you selling" some kind of gotcha question that I don't understand? I'm selling it because:

A. I need money more than I need the item or

B. I WANT money more than I want the item.

Are there any other reasons to sell something?

My personal favorite is when I post something for sale and some PMs me with only one question: "why are you selling?"

Really? Out of all the questions you could have wasted my time with, this is the only thing to come to mind? WTF do you care why I am selling it? Do you want it or not?

I've had guys asking me this question from back in the days of the Want Ad circular. Those were the days. Selling a car and having to post your phone number and actually talk to a bunch of freaks in order to make a sale.

Anyway, is "why are you selling" some kind of gotcha question that I don't understand? I'm selling it because:

You could be selling because it's giving you trouble. I think that's what the question is for "what's wrong with it"

Sent from my m8whl using Tapatalk

because the firearm is a piece of shit that jams and barely functions beyond three rounds?

What about stuff that can be sold in multiple states?

I think it would be better if you stopped trying to micro-manage a free market to suit your needs.

has nothing to do with where it can be sold...it has more to do with people who don't want to scroll through a ton of stuff that isn't even in their state...plus it's also in the rules that the state abbreviation has to be in the title (see post #88)...the mods stated that making sellers do that or deleting the posts that don't comply would be a full time job and they can't keep up...so making it required drop down to post is an easy way to handle it and not waste people's time...i'd say that would make it more efficient for everyone

has nothing to do with where it can be sold...it has more to do with people who don't want to scroll through a ton of stuff that isn't even in their state...plus it's also in the rules that the state abbreviation has to be in the title (see post #88)...the mods stated that making sellers do that or deleting the posts that don't comply would be a full time job and they can't keep up...so making it required drop down to post is an easy way to handle it and not waste people's time...i'd say that would make it more efficient for everyone

[thumbsup]

Thumbs up for this. I just noticed today some classifieds posts that don't follow site's instructions and only offer a pic, very short description, and price. No location info in profile either. I'll ignore them, but it's a shame for those interested if the location doesn't work. The point is that those who post items for sale should not be so goddamn lazy that they don't even post a two-letter state abbreviation, let alone follow forum rules.

I occasionally find a decent deal in the classifieds and have mostly had good luck selling. Overall this is a great site, but the classifieds are stinking up a bit lately and the lack of attention is showing.

I occasionally find a decent deal in the classifieds and have mostly had good luck selling. Overall this is a great site, but the classifieds are stinking up a bit lately and the lack of attention is showing.
Yep. If the Mods don't have the time or simply need more help concentrated in the classified sections specifically, I'm sure there are many here ready to volunteer (including yours truly).

[thumbsup]

Thumbs up for this. I just noticed today some classifieds posts that don't follow site's instructions and only offer a pic, very short description, and price. No location info in profile either. I'll ignore them, but it's a shame for those interested if the location doesn't work. The point is that those who post items for sale should not be so goddamn lazy that they don't even post a two-letter state abbreviation, let alone follow forum rules.

It's not just lately, it's been this way forever. At one time we had 6-8 active Mods but these days there are only 2-3 that seem to be active. See my comment below.

Yep. If the Mods don't have the time or simply need more help concentrated in the classified sections specifically, I'm sure there are many here ready to volunteer (including yours truly).

Be careful what you ask for. I was a Mod and followed our rules at the time. It was the Classifieds that turned into a full-time job and made people pissed off when their ad was deleted (IIRC that was our policy for a while) for a rules violation (mostly location issues). It's a thankless job and one that stressed me out. Much happier these days, I just ignore those ads and have no responsibility to police the forum.

We destroy ads all the time that are non compliant with the rules, but if you see something egregious that doesnt disappear quickly, just report it.

-Mike

There are a few people who abuse the heck out of the classified, posting crap with over 100 bumps or 2 years. It's free for them so why would they care. I suggested a change that would allow us to hide ads from people we chose, like we can with posts, but was roundly criticized.

Maybe someone will by those knives for sale for the past 134 weeks.....

There are a few people who abuse the heck out of the classified, posting crap with over 100 bumps or 2 years. It's free for them so why would they care. I suggested a change that would allow us to hide ads from people we chose, like we can with posts, but was roundly criticized.

But ... but... maybe somebody will eventually buy that Frostee chiller for which refills are no longer made. It's only been bumped on a regular basis for 11 months.

You can block an individual, as long as they are only a Registered or NES Member. You can not block a Mod, Dealer or Instructor. From what I was told, I believe that it is due to limitations in vBulletin and not something that Derek can change.

I agree, craigslist and ebay are a snooze fest. There there are those new apps like Letgo and OfferUp are full of scammers.

Ebay has a computer-monitored 'filter' for items considered 'Assault Weapons', and won't let you post something that is affiliated with the AWB. You have to practice some creativity to get certain items posted to eBay. Change a few words, and you're fine - otherwise, you can't upload your item.

Back
Top Bottom