Classifieds Suck Lately

Here's a question/rant...

Why should a buyer have to pay a transfer fee because you used up all your free ones? Am I the only one who is annoyed by this?

Why should a buyer have to pay a transfer fee because you used up all your free ones? Am I the only one who is annoyed by this?

Because that's the terms the seller set, if you don't like his terms, then don't buy the item from him/her [laugh] Also whether or not "someone used up all their free ones" is really none of your business. (although I'd suggest the seller is a ****ing idiot for even telling you that, but thats another story) When I used to sell stuff I intentionally avoided FA-10s as much as possible and only saved them for certain items, buyers, or locations where using an FFL was impractical. Usually though I ate the transfer or 50% of the transfer and that got put into the price. Different people do business differently, though. If someone is too ****y for your taste, don't do business with them.

-Mike

Because that's the terms the seller set, if you don't like his terms, then don't buy the item from him/her [laugh] Also whether or not "someone used up all their free ones" is really none of your business. (although I'd suggest the seller is a ****ing idiot for even telling you that, but thats another story) When I used to sell stuff I intentionally avoided FA-10s as much as possible and only saved them for certain items, buyers, or locations where using an FFL was impractical. Usually though I ate the transfer or 50% of the transfer and that got put into the price. Different people do business differently, though. If someone is too ****y for your taste, don't do business with them.

-Mike

I don't. But can't I set the terms of my own rant?[smile]

I have an idea to make things better put a limit on the number of bumps that way we don't have to look at the same overpriced stuff for months
Also I don't understand the rush to delete an ad after it's sold it's kind of nice to look at what somebody might've sold something for

Yeah, I agree, but it's just part of the transaction price, so if the buyer picks a more expensive shop he has to pay more.

I agree, it would be very valuable for determining fair value. Maybe it hurts the seller's feelings.

IMHO it's pretty worthless- the listed ad price is ZERO indicator as to wether or not the item actually sold for that price. I've bought a lot of items at less than the listed price, it's not like the seller is going to go back and edit the ad to reflect reality. [laugh]

Listed prices are about as good as the sticker price as a car lot.

-Mike

How about something like this you're allowed to have four bumps and then either delete or lower the price by 10% obviously after a month of being looked at by everyone if it wasn't sold. The price is too high. I just don't understand why a lot of people try to sell stuff at prices that will never sell.

How about something like this you're allowed to have four bumps and then either delete or lower the price by 10% obviously after a month of being looked at by everyone if it wasn't sold. The price is too high. I just don't understand why a lot of people try to sell stuff at prices that will never sell.

You can't blame people who have dreams. Dream big!

Back in the old days anyone could sell, black green whatever and there were some fire sales. That must have been haul to manage. You could also comment within the post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMHO it's pretty worthless- the listed ad price is ZERO indicator as to wether or not the item actually sold for that price. I've bought a lot of items at less than the listed price, it's not like the seller is going to go back and edit the ad to reflect reality. [laugh]

Listed prices are about as good as the sticker price as a car lot.

-Mike

I see an ad for $700 = sold
I see other ads for $800, 900, $1000 unsold. What's that tell you?

What about something collectible with a small market? The price could be fair, but the buyers are few and it will take time to sell.

I see an ad for $700 = sold
I see other ads for $800, 900, $1000 unsold. What's that tell you?

Absolutely nothing, because there's still no feedback as to how the item was sold nor the details of the actual transaction.

I bought a gun here once for $900 that was listed for $1200. The original ad was not modified before it got taken down. That "ad data" is completely worthless- you're thinking it has value based off an assumption, an assumption which is probably flawed in some way or another.

You're better off going to gunbroker and computing an average based on buy now prices. If you're looking for real data. Maybe throw another $50-$150 on top if its something hard to come by in MA, more for rare wheelguns.

-Mike

As others have pointed out, that's not really fair if you have an unusual item that needs the right buyer. For example, I have a 50 BMG with a left hand bolt, made by a somewhat obscure mfg. Not looking to sell it, but if I was I'd definitely want over $2,000 (which given its retail price and the fact that it only has a few rounds through it would be a reasonable price). However, finding a lefty who wants to drop over 2 grand on a 50 BMG that's not a Barrett might well take more than a month.

More like sold auction prices. A gun most sellers have listed with a $500 BIN might actually sell at open auction for $250.

On a new gun? Fat chance of that happening. I see your point though, yes, on old/used stuff, you would want to do it that way. My brain wasn't operating in that track when I
wrote it, as I rarely buy used stuff anymore unless it's something that simply isn't made anymore.

-Mike

As others have pointed out, that's not really fair if you have an unusual item that needs the right buyer. For example, I have a 50 BMG with a left hand bolt, made by a somewhat obscure mfg. Not looking to sell it, but if I was I'd definitely want over $2,000 (which given its retail price and the fact that it only has a few rounds through it would be a reasonable price). However, finding a lefty who wants to drop over 2 grand on a 50 BMG that's not a Barrett might well take more than a month.

Correction:
May take more than a decade

Just about everything I've sold requiring an eFA10 or dealer transfer has had me driving a minimum of an hour to meet the buyer. I'm pretty sure the $25 out of your pocket is equivalent to the fuel I'll use. If the transfer is $40-$50 I generally split it with the buyer.

Are people just ignorant to not keep up with prices or promotions or they just straight up looking for victims?
theres absolutely no reason why anyone should be asking $400+ for a shield (especially used).
When A) the gun doesn't retail New for that anyways B) with the $75 rebate it costs less than $300 in several places.

Regarding bumps. First I don't sell a hell of a lot. I'm mostly a buyer. However, when I do sell I set a limit on the bumps which is typically 4-6. After that its just stale and no one is interested.

Back
Top Bottom