Classifieds Suck Lately

Love the classifieds - always had great luck. It has been a little slow/messed up since the Healy ban. For the rest of the country, prices are super low - but obviously we are sorta stuck on hold until the court stuff takes place.

I still look everyday though!

Heh.

Or....

If your ad has a half a dozen views, and you've bumped it more than a couple thousand times, you're asking for too much money. [smile]
Or

it goes up and because everyone has looked at the same 11 guns for 24 hours for the last 6 days that my hideous piece of crap is just new enough to the stream that I am looking at because anything is better than looking at the same 11 guns again, crap I looked at the 11 guns again.....

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Step 1 - find the gun you like online.
Step 2 - call gun stores. If They have It, purchase. If they don't have it order it.
Step 3 - enjoy life.

Yup. The only guns I've purchased from the classifieds were a K31 and a M1 carbine. Every other gun I have was purchased online.

Step 1 - find the gun you like online.
Step 2 - call gun stores. If They have It, purchase. If they don't have it order it.
Step 3 - enjoy life.

Works fine for current production, but if you're looking for , say, a mint S&W Model 13, you have GB.......at $795 currently, with 5 days to go, or wait for one to show up here. [grin]

Yup. The only guns I've purchased from the classifieds were a K31 and a M1 carbine. Every other gun I have was purchased online.
Ditto. 95% of the guns I have purchased over the years were bought @ CCG or Four Seasons. They have better variety and better prices. Plus they take in trades. Selling on the other hand I have had very good luck in the classifieds because I price my items low so I can avoid zillions of bumps. When I sell something its because I need the money, the guys on this Blog aren't stupid, they know when their getting screwed or getting a good deal. If its priced right it will be gone in a day/hours.

I never air out dirty laundry or flame other members here but I just had to on this one...

I'm having trouble selling my stuff to be honest. I get offers, asked to lower a low price, asked 21 questions about the gun and after I answer them all? ..."I have to talk to my wife."

Pretty sure you had to talk to (or argue with) your wife when you were buying that M&P 15-22 from my buddy last month...."Hey...I was arguing with my girl about wasting the money that's why I changed my mind but I finally got through to her, I'd like to grab it still if that's cool."

I didn't realize how much of a delight I was to deal with as a buyer until I started selling.

I wouldn't toot your horn as being a "delight". I think my buddy would beg to differ...

I've given up on the Classifieds here since I'm tired of searching through each ad to see where each item is located. I'll see something interesting, but then check the ad to find out it's located in Mass. If the location was in the title, it would be worth looking again.

That's a good point...I think it would be good to require a state in the thread title and maybe a region of the state similar to Craigslist...most of the time I'm looking at the forum on my phone through Tapatalk which is aggravating enough...not knowing where something is located makes me not want to bother looking...I search CL on my phone cause the app allows me to search multiple regions and states all at once for something and they come up grouped by each CL region/state so I can order them to my preference...I know that's totally different than the classifieds here but adding a required drop down with all the state abbreviations for private and dealer sales I wouldn't think would be too tough...adding regions would just be a bonus...double bonus would be if it was able to be filtered in the forum search

On another note, I've purchased a firearm from a green member here...the transaction went great...I wouldn't hesitate to again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto. 95% of the guns I have purchased over the years were bought @ CCG or Four Seasons. They have better variety and better prices. Plus they take in trades. Selling on the other hand I have had very good luck in the classifieds because I price my items low so I can avoid zillions of bumps. When I sell something its because I need the money, the guys on this Blog aren't stupid, they know when their getting screwed or getting a good deal. If its priced right it will be gone in a day/hours.

Trades?

TRADES?????

I've never seen the trade-in policy at Carl's, but I've seen it at plenty of other places. "Oh, that new S&W Shield 9mm? I'll give you $125 towards a new gun." Hell, I'd rather consign the gun at 4S than trade it in, I think.

Trades?

TRADES?????

I've never seen the trade-in policy at Carl's, but I've seen it at plenty of other places. "Oh, that new S&W Shield 9mm? I'll give you $125 towards a new gun." Hell, I'd rather consign the gun at 4S than trade it in, I think.
This reminds me of that horrible store in Cambridge Roach's. They were the worst if you were trying to trade anything.

I've had very good luck in classifieds, buying and selling. I don't make an offer on something if I'm not wiiling to pay the asking price anyway.
It can't hurt to ask. I don't have alot of time to waste and assume nobody else does either

I never air out dirty laundry or flame other members here but I just had to on this one...

Pretty sure you had to talk to (or argue with) your wife when you were buying that M&P 15-22 from my buddy last month...."Hey...I was arguing with my girl about wasting the money that's why I changed my mind but I finally got through to her, I'd like to grab it still if that's cool."

I wouldn't toot your horn as being a "delight". I think my buddy would beg to differ...

Holy shit, burned.

Obama_zpslbtvy4e1.jpg

Is that how much shops are offering for Shield 9 trade ins?? lol I'm surprised they're taking them at all.

I was just making one up with the requisite mark-down applicable only b/c we all know what Shields are going for right now. I saw a guy in early 00's get told they could give him $200 in trade on a Glock. Glocks in the case selling for $500. Yikes!

I've given up on the Classifieds here since I'm tired of searching through each ad to see where each item is located. I'll see something interesting, but then check the ad to find out it's located in Mass. If the location was in the title, it would be worth looking again.
Location and asking price in every title would be a Godsend. [rockon]

It's worth noting though that 99% of these problems are all protocol based. Flakey people texting each other, etc. Not getting people on the phone, etc. There's usually a decision tree that can be set up as a seller and then you have a queue of buyers to go to. the "I have to talk to the wife about it" that type of thing gets someone pushed to the end of the line. It means they really don't want the gun. If someone wants me to hold a gun for them they better get me a deposit, otherwise it's going to the next qualified guy in line, whoever can "close" the soonest and set up a meet, and agree to it, gets the gun.

"Always Be Closing". [rofl]

This reminds me of the hand shaking thread. I think a lot of these problems happen because people don't know how to communicate and
conduct business. This is how its supposed to work, kids:

Buyer: "Hey I'm interested in your FartMaster 9000 pistol, when can I come to buy it? Is it still $600?"
Seller: "Yes, $600 cash. I can meet up with you Mon, Weds, Friday nights after 6, where are you at? Maybe we can meet halfway depending on how far it is etc. "
Buyer: "Ok those times work great for me, I live in Franklin, can you meet me Monday night at the Mcdonalds in Franklin by the dunkin donuts, at 7 pm? Here's my phone number txt me and ill add you to my book, etc. Let me know if this works for you. I'll go get some cash for you."
Seller: "Sure thats not too far for me, I'll txt you on my way down monday night to meet @ 7. I got a smartphone so we can do the EFA-10 thing no problem. "
Buyer: "Great, see you monday!"

Generally speaking anything that goes way beyond this type of exchange in complexity is doomed to fail. If the buyer and seller have their
shit together up front, the transaction is literally this easy. If one party doesn't have their shit together, it turns into a dumpster fire. Usually it doesn't take much to figure out when someone doesn't have their shit together. Then if that aroma of feces is detected, it's best for the person to politely bow out before someone gets butt hurt.

Things that carry the aroma of shit- most of them are buyer issues...

-Buyer starts asking legal questions (this is nearly always a bad sign)
-Buyer wants to "take a look at" a commodity gun before committing to buying it. Buyer wants an acceptance test on a ****ing glock? ROFL Not sure if serious. [rofl] It's a ****ing glock, you put bullets in it, they come out the front when you pull the trigger. Unless the gun looks
****ed up, a commodity gun is a commodity gun.
-Buyer says stuff like "ill get back to you in the next day or two, I gotta see if I can afford it first" (or similar excuse, this person should have never PMed the seller to begin with, frankly.
-Buyer starts lowballing on a firm ad or propositioning for a trade despite the fact that the ad said "firm no trades".
-Buyer makes vague references of meeting you without confirming a time. "I'll talk to you on monday" etc. Bad sign.

I digress, though.

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think the classified ads here are bad, try selling on craigslist. They really come out of the woodwork. The key to success in any online auction, WTS, etc is clear photos taken at different angles, a good description with any imperfections/issues clearly disclosed either in the photos or description, your location (or region, if applicable), payment options, availability, all written in a customer service friendly tone. It's not that hard. No need to justify your sale or write a novel around it either. I love the ads written in a harsh tone, or the ones that "will provide pics later". It's almost like they don't want to really sell their item.

Some of the pics in the ads are pretty bad.

- If the gun is upside down or you otherwise have to turn your head to get a decent view, it's a bad picture
- If the picture is insanely blurry, it's a bad picture
- If the picture is only a couple of pixels wide, it's a bad picture
- If the gun is in a holster pointing away from the camera in the dark, it's a bad picture

I've had good experiences in the classifieds, though, I have to say.

Sometimes it takes this type of reality check feedback to set them straight. The lack of self awareness is comical at best.

To everyone that agrees that the classified suck: Please help the NES community out.

1. Take your top 3 favorite firearms
2. Find their going rate on GB
3. Post them in the WTS area here on NES for $300 less than GB prices!
4. Make NES WTS great again!

To everyone that agrees that the classified suck: Please help the NES community out.

1. Take your top 3 favorite firearms
2. Find their going rate on GB
3. Post them in the WTS area here on NES for $300 less than GB prices!
4. Make NES WTS great again!
Don't do drugs. Stay in school.

That's a good point...I think it would be good to require a state in the thread title and maybe a region of the state similar to Craigslist...most of the time I'm looking at the forum on my phone through Tapatalk which is aggravating enough...not knowing where something is located makes me not want to bother looking...I search CL on my phone cause the app allows me to search multiple regions and states all at once for something and they come up grouped by each CL region/state so I can order them to my preference...I know that's totally different than the classifieds here but adding a required drop down with all the state abbreviations for private and dealer sales I wouldn't think would be too tough...adding regions would just be a bonus...double bonus would be if it was able to be filtered in the forum search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, they are:
When placing an ad...

1. All ad TITLES must begin with either WTS (Want to Sell), WTT (Want to Trade), WTB (Want to Buy), FREE, or some combination (WTT/WTS, etc). Do not forget to put in your state abbreviation in the title.

3. You must include your general (or specific if you want) location in your ad.

Please do not attach historical significance or emphasize rarity on items for sale. Those are red flags of overpriced BS.

Yeah, when I look at an ad title, the following keywords tell me it's going to be overpriced:
  1. "with extras"
  2. "Rare"
  3. "Collectible"
  4. "Limited Edition"
  5. "German made"
  6. "Colt"
  7. "Glock"

I usually don't even click on these unless I want a laugh.

Yeah, when I look at an ad title, the following keywords tell me it's going to be overpriced:
  1. "with extras"
  2. "Rare"
  3. "Collectible"
  4. "Limited Edition"
  5. "German made"
  6. "Colt"
  7. "Glock"

I usually don't even click on these unless I want a laugh.

Or when someone puts together their own AR and calling it "custom"

"Get it before "Maura does".

Or when someone says "invested",you don't invest in night sights for your Glock,or a scope for your AR,you just buy them and put them on.

Actually, they are:
When placing an ad...

1. All ad TITLES must begin with either WTS (Want to Sell), WTT (Want to Trade), WTB (Want to Buy), FREE, or some combination (WTT/WTS, etc). Do not forget to put in your state abbreviation in the title.

3. You must include your general (or specific if you want) location in your ad.

Yes, it is in the rules but ignored by most people who post ads here. Enforcing it is a 8hr/day job and just not worth it, BTDT and burnt out doing it.

Just ignore those ads that make you search for location.

Back
Top Bottom