Classifieds Suck Lately

Never happened on this forum - but I did once list a knife on a blade forum. Guy made an offer and I think I posted SPF on the thread. About 9 months later I get an e-mail from someone else wanting to know if the sale went through and if the knife is still available. I assume he did a search because by then my thread must have been on page 600 of the classifieds.:)

I noticed another bump for the $225 pre-ban Colt 9mm AR15 mags.

If replies to ads were allowed, I'd point out that GFA Arms in Natick has these in stock, in quantity, for under $100.

I noticed another bump for the $225 pre-ban Colt 9mm AR15 mags.

If replies to ads were allowed, I'd point out that GFA Arms in Natick has these in stock, in quantity, for under $100.

Some people just think they have gold. The hell if they do indeed have gold, they will price it over market value on ridiculous margin. Because it's their gold.

Some people just think they have gold. The hell if they do indeed have gold, they will price it over market value on ridiculous margin. Because it's their gold.

Just waiting for the right sucker to come along. [rockon]

I've been watching one WTS thread for 6 months now waiting for a price drop. [popcorn] I've come to the conclusion that the owner couldn't care less if he ever sells or not. [hmmm]

I've been watching one WTS thread for 6 months now waiting for a price drop. [popcorn] I've come to the conclusion that the owner couldn't care less if he ever sells or not. [hmmm]

everyone should just list all his guns here like inventory... oh, you want to buy my SW shield for $800? Cool. Just couldn't care less it sells or not.

I have an idea to make things better put a limit on the number of bumps that way we don't have to look at the same overpriced stuff for months
Also I don't understand the rush to delete an ad after it's sold it's kind of nice to look at what somebody might've sold something for

Because we don't want to look at the same stuff for months. It is sold, get rid of it.

- - - Updated - - -

There is one that I believe is 2 or 3 years old, it's a rifle.

How about something like this you're allowed to have four bumps and then either delete or lower the price by 10% obviously after a month of being looked at by everyone if it wasn't sold. The price is too high. I just don't understand why a lot of people try to sell stuff at prices that will never sell.

How about you let people sell their items for whatever they feel like asking?

You don't like it, don't buy it.

Everyone having high prices should help you, either you make more when you sell or you sell cheaper than the rest and sell faster.

The classifieds don't always suck. Every once in a while I have found very good deals or at least something very cool, and have generally had great 'luck' selling. I have met some great people and one or two who were 'interesting' at least. Some of my best stuff came from NES classifieds. Even my first AR build was built primarily from NES sourced parts.

It just seems that over the last couple years, there has been way too much 'chaff' to sort through to find a single kernel of grain. That 12-bump $1000 dollar G19 or that overpriced appliance that would collect dust at Good Will with a 50 cent price tag? They are basically spam, getting in the way of the information you want and cluttering up a site that would be better quality without such wasted space.

Hey you, with the tacticool AR: I have news for you. Go ahead and list full MSRP prices (that neither you nor anyone else ever pays) for your rifle plus all the Barbie accessories you bedazzled your AR with. You can add up all those numbers, add 10% cuz it's pre 7/20 ban, and call it a great deal. Have fun with your many bumps and price drops if you care to sell it.

I don't see a fair way to put a lid on such ridiculous classifieds, but likewise it's fair game to vent and criticize. Hey, maybe we can neg rep the worst offenders? Here's a thought that might be a PITA to implement but if not could help: X-many bumps are free, then you pay for subsequent bumps. That would benefit the site owner and/or whoever could be compensated to manage the classifieds.

At the least, maybe one or two 'shit post' classified junkies will see this thread and get a clue.

There is one that I believe is 2 or 3 years old, it's a rifle.
It kind of reminds me of Gunbroker where silly over-priced gun listings are rolled over forever at no charge... some I've been watching (just out of curiosity - no intent to buy) for years. [thinking]

And then the funny part: Certain dealers in MA will point to those silly high endlessly rolled-over prices on Gunbroker in order to justify their own high prices. [laugh] Do they think we are all clueless fools? [thinking]

Are people just ignorant to not keep up with prices or promotions or they just straight up looking for victims?
theres absolutely no reason why anyone should be asking $400+ for a shield (especially used).
When A) the gun doesn't retail New for that anyways B) with the $75 rebate it costs less than $300 in several places.

I think people just don't follow the 100 dollar rule. You buy a gun and resell it quickly..you lose at least 100 dollars. For high cost fudd guns, even more. I understand this is generally not the rule with glocks or no ma comp guns, they hold value, but are not worth 1K by any reason, people that think they are, aren't up on things.

With rebates, it makes the situation even worse. I would not sell a shield right now, unless you have to offload it for 200 bucks its not worth it. Most people aren't stupid, with the rebate you can get one for 230-250 bucks.

That said, I just sold an BG380 to a guy who could probably have gotten a new one for a few bucks more, but I had a pocket holster, spare mag, and although it wasn't part of the deal, I gave him my good buffalo bore carry ammo. The good part for him, he can carry it that day in his pocket, and is he's not submitting stupid paperwork and waiting month for a 50 dollar check. And he did get a low round count gun in perfect condition....prebroke in and cleaned.

I generally price my guns either below or low market cost if I decide to sell something. If I can't get that, then it goes to Kittery and I trade it for credit which is usually a little more than I can sell it for here. Kittery is generally a little higher priced, but they will match Cabelas on a sale and no tax, and always have a good inventory, and something might tickle the fancy.

The people with 400 bumps just don't want to sell their crap, my feeling is they either think they have gold, or their wife is telling them to sell it, and they price it accordingly. I generally don't lowball anyone here if I can help it, if it's overpriced I'll buy it new. Ill hold no ill will, it's their gun, they can sell it or not sell it for whatever they want.

The good thing about buying here is the people I meet, everyone that I've dealt with has been great and never tried to lowball me in the parking lot. And looking here for used guns is great too..there's usually a deal to be found.

Last edited:
Here's a question/rant...

Why should a buyer have to pay a transfer fee because you used up all your free ones? Am I the only one who is annoyed by this?

Dont' buy the gun if you don't think the extra 20 dollars is worth it. Why get annoyed?

I reserve my FA-10's for things I can't ffl transfer easily......I'm already generally taking a hit on the price of the gun. The buyer here is usually getting a decent used gun (at least in my deals) for a lot less than they can buy for new. Paying 20 bucks transfer is not the end of the world IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

good one! i'll use that marketing technique next time i sell a gun. should make me a few dollars more. [laugh]

LOL....in that case, it was 100% true. 150 rounds down the pipe, cleaned and carried like 3 times. Guy got a good deal.

It's a bodyguard - having someone weed out the QC failures S&W regularly ships out is value added.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

I still think ignore function is the best. You can keep bumping in your imaginary land, It won't bother me. About transfer fee, just factor that in your purchase price.

I still think ignore function is the best. You can keep bumping in your imaginary land, It won't bother me. About transfer fee, just factor that in your purchase price.

Ignore doesn't work on Classified Ads, that is part of the problem. If you Ignore someone you don't see their post but you are stuck looking at the ads, this is my major beef with the system

Ignore doesn't work on Classified Ads, that is part of the problem. If you Ignore someone you don't see their post but you are stuck looking at the ads, this is my major beef with the system

I don't mean normal ignore function. I mean ignore ads function.

Back
Top Bottom