Class B 380 or 9mm

my wife shoots all my guns. she is proficient with them all too. she loves my 45, 357, and shotguns. she doesnt care for my 642 as she doesnt like the recoil from it but she will shoot it ocassionally. when we go to the range she will shoot them all along with about 150 rounds of 22. next time we go i am digging the 44 mag out of the safe and am going to have her try that one. its a model 29 s&w with a 4 inch barrel.

bob

I have pretty small hands myself. I've handle just about all the most popular hand guns out there and honestly, a smaller gun isn't necisarily a better fit, infact the opposite is true for me

I have a Beretta 92fs, and a S&W 642 and can CC both easily, but since she has a B that won't be an issue. I suggest having her try out some full size 9mm. The berratta fits my hands well, I am also partial to Sigs.

Its less about the size of the gun and more finding one that she can get her hands around comfortably while being able to reach the mag release and safety comfortably. Considering that she's not looking for a carry gun, I would stay with a 9mm myself. IMHO, 380 doesn't make sense unless it fits a CCW need.

Get her a Sig 232 in .380 and be done with it. It is not as small or light as some, but that is what makes it more shootable for those who don't like the recoil.

That, and it is a nice looking gun. Most new pistols look like crap.

My wife likes my Glock 26. I load light loads for plinking and she does great with it. its 10 round mags so that makes it a class B. Right?? Its a great carry gun too.

My wife likes my Glock 26. I load light loads for plinking and she does great with it. its 10 round mags so that makes it a class B. Right?? Its a great carry gun too.

The G26 isn't on the large cap roster in MA, but good luck convincing a dealer to sell you one, as they readily accept the manufacturer provided magazines of their counterparts.

-Mike

Get her a Sig 232 in .380 and be done with it. It is not as small or light as some, but that is what makes it more shootable for those who don't like the recoil.

I would never, ever, in a million years recomend a P232 for anyone who doesn't want recoil. Even with rubber grips on those guns are still pretty snappy feeling because of the direct blowback operation. A Sig P239/9mm is a B elegible gun and is 10 times more comfortable to shoot. (It'll have more muzzle flip, but the felt recoil annoyance factor is a lot less than the P232)

-Mike

My wife carries a S&W model 940. It is a 5 shot 9mm revolver with a 1 7/8" barrel. Her favorite is her S&W model 686 w/ 6" barrel.

I know you are thinking 9mm/.380, but as some posters have suggested, I'd look into a revolver. The recoil impulse on a 642 or LCP may be an issue in the Airweight class, but if you look for a 640-2, I think she'll enjoy it. Heavier frame, nice grip, easily concealed and accurate. I'd like to know as well - why was she issued a Class B?

I would never, ever, in a million years recomend a P232 for anyone who doesn't want recoil. Even with rubber grips on those guns are still pretty snappy feeling because of the direct blowback operation.

Really. I will defer to your suggestion then, and retract mine. I have never actually shot one, and was speaking out my rear. I thought I had read these were lighter recoiling because they are one of the heavier choices in .380. My apologies. I also thought a few folks on here had them and loved them.

I will stand by my point that they are one of the best looking pistols available.

What about a Walther PK380? A friend has one that we have shot a few times and my wife likes that as much as her P22, but 380 is expensive for the range. I have actually had my eyes open for one for a while but that means another caliber to reload as well. I know they get bad reviews but my buddy has at least 1000 rounds through it with no problems.

Since the gun won't be carried, don't get something small. Felt recoil is as much to do with the gun's weight as the round. Also .380 sucks. Don't get it.

Single stack 9mms that come to mind are a Sig 225, Sig 239, a 9mm 1911, Kahr K9 and S&W 908. Personally, I'd have her look at a 1911 or Sig 225.

Back
Top Bottom