• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Citizens Police Academy

SKS Ray

NES Member
My wife is thinking about taking a citizens police academy course for her criminal justice/psychology class. She read about it recently in the local paper. Learning about drug busts, laws, going on ride alongs, and to the police range is all part of the course. I think the course lasts 10 weeks and is open to anyone 18 or older with no physical requirements.
The whole thing sounds pretty interesting and got me thinking... would taking a course like this actually improve someone's chances of getting an ALP LTC? I'm up for renewal next December and am worried about it because of how hard it is to get ALP where I live.

I attended the one that was offered in my town a couple of years ago. It ran for about 10 weeks I think. I think I attended all but 2 and missed the ride along due to work conflicts. It was a good time. We learned all about the police procedures and the equipment.

The beginning was mostly classroom lectures and videos. These were taken from the real police academy but were watered down a bit. Towards the middle and the end of the course were the fun part. Role play and situational confrontations was interesting.

Everyone from the force took an active role and came in to do a demo. Patrol did their part with showing what they do daily and ran most of the lessons. Dispatchers showed us how integral their part is and how confusing some of the conversations over the radio were when tensions are high. Detectives came in and described their crime scene procedures and tools. The chief presented himself a few times and made himself available. We were all able to introduce ourselves and have a few minutes to chat individually.

Most notable days were -
1) Day at the range. We fired their issued Sigs in 40cal. Patrol AR-15 rifles (Bushies)
2) Visit to Boylston Detention Center (I missed this)
3) Ride along (I missed this too)
4) Stopping techinques with the patrol car - Wall of light, traffic infraction stop, Felon stop, etc...

I would reccomend everyone to take advantage of the course if your town offers it. Good way to make friends with folks on the force and an opportunity to present yourself in front of the chief. It can't hurt and you can say you took an active role in making things better for your town.

I say "GO FOR IT!" It will be interesting, you'll learn alot, and - most importantly - you'll become a "known" person at the police department. You won't just be a name with no face - but a real person they can recall positive things about.

Establish a good working relationship with the cops, and you're less likely to be deemed "unsuitable" or "undeserving" when the time comes for the chief to sign the LTC. Put yourself in his shoes - making a decision about someone you know nothing about except what you read on paper, or making a decision about someone who has volunteered his time for several weeks, seems to be a good guy, and (and by association) supports the police.

Seems like an easy choice to me. My town has an academy for kids that my son went through, but nothing for adults. I did join our Community Emergency Response Team (CERT), and now I meet regularly at the police station, perform infrequent community tasks (traffic control, etc.), and will soon have a Town ID card. The chief knows who I am, and appreciates my support for the community.

My wife is thinking about taking a citizens police academy course for her criminal justice/psychology class. She read about it recently in the local paper. Learning about drug busts, laws, going on ride alongs, and to the police range is all part of the course. I think the course lasts 10 weeks and is open to anyone 18 or older with no physical requirements.
The whole thing sounds pretty interesting and got me thinking... would taking a course like this actually improve someone's chances of getting an ALP LTC? I'm up for renewal next December and am worried about it because of how hard it is to get ALP where I live.

It depends on where you live. I took the one here in Watertown and am a retired LEO and still can't get an ALP.

Course, its moot now with the LEOSA04, but I still like to hedge my odds. [smile]

I had similar experience to TJ, and recommend it to anyone. If nothing else, you get to see how things are run and get to meet some of the good guys and get to know them a little. They're just people like the rest of us.

I'm curious if they cover any firearms possibilities in the CERT classes. They say they prepare you for disasters and emergencies, but do they cover all eventualities?

No - firearms discussions were conspicuously absent in all the CERT classes I attended. Whenever I asked a question like: "Hey, what if we're assigned to work a shelter, and and someone decides to become violent for whatever reason?" The answer was always, "don't worry, there will be a uniform officer available to handle that."

Well, maybe..... maybe not. Everything else I've been taught is that the emergency services personnel would be so out straight for the first 24 - 48 hours, that we would be on our own. Of course, it all depends on the situation - weather-related? Natural disaster? Terrorism?

When you dig a little into the details, it's scary how little prepared we really are.

No - firearms discussions were conspicuously absent in all the CERT classes I attended. Whenever I asked a question like: "Hey, what if we're assigned to work a shelter, and and someone decides to become violent for whatever reason?" The answer was always, "don't worry, there will be a uniform officer available to handle that."

Well, maybe..... maybe not. Everything else I've been taught is that the emergency services personnel would be so out straight for the first 24 - 48 hours, that we would be on our own. Of course, it all depends on the situation - weather-related? Natural disaster? Terrorism?

When you dig a little into the details, it's scary how little prepared we really are.

Yeah, I thought this was the new version of "civil defense". The only thing missing is the defense. I guess they will admit they can't be everywhere in an emergency, except for the part about actually protecting you.

You have NO idea...

As for the CPA, we have one or two a year and they fill right up. They're gearing up for one in the spring and if anyone is interested, they should get moving on it soon.
I've heard nothing but good things from those who have participated.

Last edited:
I'd really like to do the Citizens Police Academy one of these days. I almost did one, and still graduated [rolleyes]

I signed up when I still lived in CT (registration was a few months in advance), and by the time it came around, I was already moving to MA. I let the guy in charge know I wasn't going to be able to make it anymore, and yet they still mailed me (to my old CT address) a letter and certificate congradulating me on course completion [laugh] On top of that, I got a phone call asking me if I wanted to come back and help out with the newest class.

Glad they're on the ball with that stuff, eh?

In case of a bird flu pandemic or something of that nature, nobody will be allowed to travel outside their communities, including police officers. I think we can safely assume the SHTF 12 hours or so after the emergency has been declared.

In an average MA community you have ~1 PO on duty per 1000 habitants. How long will they be able to maintain order if everybody is told they have a 20% chance of not making it through unless they get the flu shot?

Was just recently reading about CERT training.

Here's a link: Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT)

Do they still "deputize" people? Is there still such a thing as "auxiliary police"?

I'd think if I were going to get all this training, I'd go the rest of the way and become a police officer. Then again, is there an age limit?

I did the training a couple of years back and have done volunteer work with our local CERT on several occasions. As long as they operate under those GFW FEMA rules, I'll probably be conspicuously absent if TSHTF, since I won't even be going to the bathroom without my gun.

I also did the Westford CPA a few years back. It was definitely worthwhile, but we didn't get to use their new range. [crying]

Ken

I was at the Spencer Fair yesterday and there were two ladies from "Spencer Emergency Management Agency" there handing out fliers and materials.

I asked if any of the CERT or other emergency preparedness classes or materials mention or deal with firearms. They said "What?" to which I had to repeat "firearms". The answer was obviously no.

Two of the pamphlets they had were the "Your Family Disaster Supplies Kit" and the "Your Family Disaster Plan" from FEMA. Neither had info about firearms under either "Tools and Supplies" or "Special Items" or under the planning parts (training?). Yet they tell you to get plenty of antiseptic, water, and toilet paper because "After a disaster, local officials and relier workers will be on the scene, but they cannot reach everyone immediately. You could get help in hours, or it may take days. Would your familybe prepared to cope with the emergency until help arrives?" Go figure.

I went to the FEMA web site. Guess what it had under "Protect Your Property". Yep, buy insurance!

But, the "Basic Disaster Supplies" list does list "Entertainment - Games and Books"; Yippee!

Under "General Information About Terrorism"
  • Portable, battery-operated radio and extra batteries.
  • Several flashlights and extra batteries.
  • First aid kit and manual.
  • Hard hats and dust masks.
  • Fluorescent tape to rope off dangerous areas.
Nothing there to protect against actual baddies.[slap][angry2][crying][angry][frown][thinking]

Last edited:
Saw a flyer at the PD yesterday. One page had this:

Would you know what to do in a disaster?

Imagine if you called 911, and were told "Sorry, no one is available to help."

What would you do?

TAKE THE CERT TRAINING CLASSES AND FIND OUT!!

(formatted as close to the actual flyer as possible)

My wife is thinking about taking a citizens police academy course

000454_34.jpg

I spoke to NAPD, they don't offer this course. But they said that they would welcome a tour of the new station.

Off-topic..but I have to say that the North Attleboro PD is the most spectacular PD that I have ever been in and I have been in most in the State. I love going there.

If I ever get locked up I want it to be there!![smile]

If I ever get locked up I want it to be there!![smile]

smartass comment withheld

That's the department that carries Para P14s, right?

I was interested in taking the one in Watertown, just for kicks (I know it won't help with the restricted LTC, but I like learning stuff anyway) but it doesn't fit with my schedule, probably for a few more years. By the time it does, I'll be out of here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom