Sig Academy class question

I’d like to take a class at Sig Academy but I’m having a hard time deciding between Pistol 102 and 103. Has anyone taken both and can help shine some light on the differences between them?

102 is basic draw from holster, quick reload, reload practice, intro to one hand shooting. Sight work 10-15 yards

103 more holster draw, reloads, single hand, weak hand shooting and reloads, up to 25 (I think) shooting. Moving and shoot (not shooting on the move but move then shoot)

The both cover stance and grip but 102 digs deeper andb103 reviews.

I have somw notes from the classes at home. I can send them over later.

Jumped right into the 104 class ~3 years ago. Was an excellent class!!! Highly recommended. But now you have to do a class before you can do 104.

102 is basic draw from holster, quick reload, reload practice, intro to one hand shooting. Sight work 10-15 yards

103 more holster draw, reloads, single hand, weak hand shooting and reloads, up to 25 (I think) shooting. Moving and shoot (not shooting on the move but move then shoot)

The both cover stance and grip but 102 digs deeper andb103 reviews.

I have somw notes from the classes at home. I can send them over later.
Would appreciate any notes you have. Trying to avoiding spending the day going to a paid review or jumping into something I’m not ready for.

I think a couple hours of 102 is spent in a classroom going over basic gun carry stuff like types of guns, carry position, type of holsters,
This is kind of my concern. I don’t think hearing about holsters and types of guns would be hugely beneficial to me. That said, I suppose you don’t know what you don’t know.

Do you know the 4 principle rules and which end of the gun to point at the bad guy? You can skip 101.

Do you know the 4 principle rules, which end of the gun to point at the bad guy, and what trigger reset is? You can skip 102.

I have taken Sig 102-104 and many other courses from the Sig Sauer Academy. I have found most of the time that I worry about the class being more advanced than they really are. Also, once you take a course you will receive a discount on future courses. I also vote to take them all and bring some friends.

Sig Sauer 102 is a beginner level course meant for a new shooter. You will learn basic handgun safety, how to aim with your sights, how to draw from a holster, two handed grip, one handed grip etc. You will start out shooting at 3 Yards and wont shoot much further than that until the very end when they will have a shoot off on steel backing up 5 yards until only one student remains. They also cover reloads. I had two friends take this class with me that had shot very little or not at all and they were very appropriate for this class. I had another friend that was fresh out of the Marines and did not get as much out of this class.
Check out my review of this class:

Sig Sauer 103 is just slightly more advanced.

Ignore my ratings of these classes, I was a tad bit aggressive in my youth... :)

Good luck and have fun.

I have taken Sig 102-104 and many other courses from the Sig Sauer Academy. I have found most of the time that I worry about the class being more advanced than they really are. Also, once you take a course you will receive a discount on future courses. I also vote to take them all and bring some friends.

Sig Sauer 102 is a beginner level course meant for a new shooter. You will learn basic handgun safety, how to aim with your sights, how to draw from a holster, two handed grip, one handed grip etc. You will start out shooting at 3 Yards and wont shoot much further than that until the very end when they will have a shoot off on steel backing up 5 yards until only one student remains. They also cover reloads. I had two friends take this class with me that had shot very little or not at all and they were very appropriate for this class. I had another friend that was fresh out of the Marines and did not get as much out of this class.

Sig Sauer 103 is just slightly more advanced.

Ignore my ratings of these classes, I was a tad bit aggressive in my youth... :)

Good luck and have fun.
Appreciate the feedback!

What’s the deal with the ammo requirements? Website makes it seem like you’ll have to buy non-lead which I can imagine adds another $100+ to the price.

Appreciate the feedback!

What’s the deal with the ammo requirements? Website makes it seem like you’ll have to buy non-lead which I can imagine adds another $100+ to the price.

If the class is on there small indoor pistol range they make you use lead free ammo. I’ve also taken some classes but I forget which ones where they require you to shoot frangible ammo. You can email the academy and they will be able to confirm if there is a requirement. In the event there is a frangible or lead free requirement Target Sports USA (online) has 9mm frang instock as of a few days ago.

If it’s an inside class you have to use frangible. If outside you can use regular ammo.

Took two classes inside and both times you can buy their frangible ammo on the spot. A bit pricy though.

Brought my own ammo for 103 (outdoor) and 104 (indoor 50ft rifle range) last fall. Even though 103 was mostly just a review of the basics it was worth taking a day off from work.

If it’s an inside class you have to use frangible. If outside you can use regular ammo.

Took two classes inside and both times you can buy their frangible ammo on the spot. A bit pricy though.

The indoor rifle allows regular ammo and I've taken a few pistol classes held in there.
Mostly higher round count classes though.

Back
Top Bottom