• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Choosing a revolver for small hands

Sometime in the near future I plan on buying my first revolver. I'm hoping to find something that is comfortable for both me and my wife to shoot (but especially her). No caliber preference.

I'm not sure where to start because she a) is very new to shooting and b) has very small hands. I want something small that is comfortable for her to hold, but my understanding is the smaller you go the less fun they are to shoot. This will be a range gun and I don't want her to be turned off by something that kicks like a mule.

The plan of course is to go shopping together and actually hold them before purchasing, and depending on availability maybe travel out to MFS to try before I buy, but I'm hoping the NES braintrust might have some recommendations of models to look out for or any general suggestions.

At one time the .32 Revolver was by far the weapon of choice.

No more....

PBX35-K-F2-H.jpg

Going to MFS or AFS is a great idea.

Rugers generally have shorter trigger reach than Smith & Wessons. But the grip makes a huge difference. A thinner grip will make it easier for small hands.

Ruger LCR in 22LR.

Last time a took a woman shooting a 38 special revolver.
She took one shot and said no more for that one!

She liked the S&W Shield in 9mm much more.

You do not mention carrying for protection.

If it is just for shooting for fun have you thought of single action revolvers? If you have and ha e not ruled them out look into the Ruger single-six and even the Ruger Bearcat series. Some have rear adjustable sights and are a real pleasure to shoot. The smallest of the Rugers is the birdshead shopkeeper Bearcat.

Best of luck. If you were closer I would some of my Rugers for you to try at your range.

http://ruger.com/

http://ruger.com/products/newBearcat/specSheets/0915.html

Ruger LCR in 22LR.

Last time a took a woman shooting a 38 special revolver.
She took one shot and said no more for that one!

She liked the S&W Shield in 9mm much more.
Yes. The 38 snubnoses have a ton of kick. Not a good choice for a smaller/weaker shooter.

And yes, I think the 22lr idea is great. I'd strongly recommend the S&W 317 if it will be carried, and even more strongly recommend the 617 if it is truly a range gun.

Ruger SP101 4.2" 5-shot .357mag. Will fill many needs...

SP101.357-1.jpg

Last edited:
Revolvers are not one size fits all. what fits your hand may not fit her hand. Since you are planning on it being a range gun stay away from a J- frame size, LCR size. My EDC is a LCR in 9mm, But I don't shoot more than 15 rounds per range trip because it starts to not be fun after that. Depending on how much recoil is an issue, I would start out with a S&W 617 or Ruger SP101 in 22LR. I have not held the new Ruger GP101 in 22 yet, but I'm guessing that would be a good one also, as well as the Ruger Single Six. all fun shooting. Work on the basics then move up in caliber. Used revolvers tend to hold their value so if can always sell the 22 to move up. Be safe and have fun with it.

I like the K and J frames in the smith & Wesson. Maybe start with 22lr in either and work my way up to power I like. Personal favorite for the range is a model 14 in 38 special and a 17 in 22lr. Guns will last a lifetime as they are low pressured cartridges and they shoot dead straight.

In autos I like the 1911 with a 22 conversion to start and 45 acp target loads for training. It's a range gun so may as well have a good one.[smile]

I will say this my friends mom loves her Ruger SP101 in 22LR.
It should have a smaller grip than the LCR as well.
I just figured if she was to carry it the lighter weight of the LCR might want to make her carry it more often.

I have a S&W 317 Kit Gun. But I would not recommend it due to price and how it would hold up to being fired a lot.

Range only gun I would go with a S&W 617 4" model. Very well built and a little better handling than the 6" model.
I have a Ruger Single 10 because I like the cowboy old school simple wheel guns.
It's fun to shoot and the cylinder comes out making cleaning easier.

I agree, grip size will probably be the deciding factor along with trigger reach.

Last edited:
I agree that any quality revolver will hold its value. I had S&W 22lr pistol model 18 blued 4 inch barrell....man i wish I kept it! worth twice what I paid for it in 1994.
I feel like your wife will LOVE the 22lr recoil...and you will like having a good target pistol in the collection.

SP101, with it's weight, will diminish the recoil and feel steadier than a lighter gun might. 38 special is manageable caliber. I haven't tried the 327 federal magnum version but this may be the right situation for it. My wife owned an SP101 and enjoyed shooting it in 38 but not so much in 357.

S&W made a ton of the old Model 10 revolvers. Not only are they beautiful pieces of fine craftsmanship, you can still find NIB examples or very lightly used that are hard to tell from new.

Image213.jpg

I do not have large hands and I find the Model 10 fits very nicely and the extra heft of the mid-size frame and 4" barrel does a good job managing a lot of the recoil. That said, start her off with the lighter target loads. You can still find target Wadcutter loads that shoot well and leave nice clean circles on the paper. They basically look like just the cartridge case with the projectile even with the case mouth and flat across.

198662.jpg

This combination allows a shooter to hone their skills without any flinch inducing actions. They can then load in more powerful rounds at a later date, but the gun still feels 'friendly'. Makes for a nice transition to managing recoil.

S&W made a ton of the old Model 10 revolvers. Not only are they beautiful pieces of fine craftsmanship, you can still find NIB examples or very lightly used that are hard to tell from new.

Image213.jpg

I do not have large hands and I find the Model 10 fits very nicely and the extra heft of the mid-size frame and 4" barrel does a good job managing a lot of the recoil. That said, start her off with the lighter target loads. You can still find target Wadcutter loads that shoot well and leave nice clean circles on the paper. They basically look like just the cartridge case with the projectile even with the case mouth and flat across.

198662.jpg

This combination allows a shooter to hone their skills without any flinch inducing actions. They can then load in more powerful rounds at a later date, but the gun still feels 'friendly'. Makes for a nice transition to managing recoil.

been looking for one myself to no avail. FS had one a few weeks ago but it went pretty quick

I would suggest considering a K/L frame .357, such as a Model 19, 586, or 686 with a 3-4" barrel. With one of those, you can start with very mild loads, which given the size/weight of the pistol will produce almost negligible felt recoil. Assuming she likes the gun and practices with it, you then have the option to move up in terms of what round she shoots. Going this route also give you an option for use beyond plinking, if desired.

Chris

3" Model 60. Use .38Spcl. It is all stainless steel, so it won't have much recoil. It is a J-frame, so it will fit smaller hands much better than a K or L frame. Budget for a trigger job as the factory DA trigger will be heavy for her. While you have fun at the gunsmith, have him chamfer the charge holes (cheap and makes reloading easier).

I have a 3" Model 60 and a 4" K-frame, along with a 3" .22lr J-frame. If you and your wife would like to meet me at Harvard Sportsmens Club, you can try them out.

Ruger SP101. Available in .22, .38 and .357 Magnum
and no stupid Internal Lock

You'd probably be best served with a .38 Special/.357 Magnum, .44 Special/.44 Magnum, 9x19 or .45ACP revolver. A .22 is it's own category.

Just make sure both you and her handle and try the gun as much as possible before buying. I wear a men's small glove and I prefer the Browning Hi Power over 1911s in terms of ergonomics. With a 1911, I'm always left grabbing for more gun that isn't there since I have long, thin fingers and a 1911 is single stack. Obviously revolvers don't have mags, but you get the picture.

My mom has smaller hands than me obviously and she owns and enjoys a CZ 75, which in full size is not a small pistol (not a horse pistol, but not small).

I have small hands...my two favorites are the S&W 686 4" plus and it's cousin the 586. Second favorite is my SP101 DAO....remember, weight is your friend....

I am about to purchase a 586 S&W combat magnum357 4 inch. I looked at EOPSS and see that 586-8 is approved in MA. I am assuming this falls under 586-8. I can't find any reason this isn't covered Am I missing anything MA related I need to consider?

Thanks guys!

You need to check with your dealer. The -8 means the eighth (or ninth) version of the 586. The 586 you are buying may be a 586-1, 586-2, etc.

I'd look at an all steel K frame S&W with service grips rather than target grips. I'd get a .357 and start with light .38 spl. loads

Wife picked up a used Charter Arms Undercover, circa 1967 or something. I brought it to the range just for the **** of it. The diminutive grips, which disappeared in my hand, actually provided sufficient purchase for some surprisingly accurate POI. I like that thing. The .38 rounds were pleasing to shoot with. I was very surprised.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Sometime in the near future I plan on buying my first revolver. I'm hoping to find something that is comfortable for both me and my wife to shoot (but especially her). No caliber preference.

I'm not sure where to start because she a) is very new to shooting and b) has very small hands. I want something small that is comfortable for her to hold, but my understanding is the smaller you go the less fun they are to shoot. This will be a range gun and I don't want her to be turned off by something that kicks like a mule.

The plan of course is to go shopping together and actually hold them before purchasing, and depending on availability maybe travel out to MFS to try before I buy, but I'm hoping the NES braintrust might have some recommendations of models to look out for or any general suggestions.

I have short stubby fingers and more often than not larger grips are easier to manipulate for me.
For range fun the 22lr revolvers are a blast. Growing up I look forward to the days up north as my Dads friend had 2 nice 22lr single action Colts with belt and holsters......quick draw on Brown bread cans kept us very busy.

Range guns need to be fun. I really liked my SW 19 357 and loaded whimpy 38spl loads that where a joy to shoot.

If anything maybe and frame size that has a large after market grip selection...

My friends parents just went to a cowboy action shoot. His mom never shot a gun. Now 3 months later she's all decked out ....I think her name is now dirty Debby. .....get out and try stuff.

One thing I do is refrained from words like recoil , kick, hurt, pain ....oh and double up,on ear protection. You be surprised how much recoil you don't feel if you can't hear it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom