• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Child Kidnapping Experiment Goes Viral

Honestly, I think that this presents a good argument for CCW. I'd be willing to bet that part of the passive responses and not wanting to get involved was due to simple fear of going up against the perpetrator. Knowing that if SHTF you have the means of defending yourself against a potentially armed abductor might very well change some of the reactions.

Google:

"lethal force to stop a kidnapping"

From the thousands of cited laws it seems to me like it IS legal.

Just not in Massachusetts. You know Marsha Coakley and all. No self helping or helping anybody!

Don't get me wrong, if I thought the child was in danger, I would step in, armed or not, and I have before.

In a couple of those clips it looked like a kid just arguing with their parents. Kids like to "disown" their parents when they get mad at them, I remember my older sister screaming "you're not my dad" at my father once because she was mad about something. What if you step in and it was actually the real father?

I think its import to teach kids what to say when they are being assailed by a stranger. "You're not my dad" will get peoples attention, but it might not be enough make people take definitive action. The kids actually sounded more like they were wining at their real parents than anything else.

I was always taught to scream at the top of my lungs and kick / scream / punch / run if someone tried to kidnap me. Never had to though.

99% of people won't step in unless they are absolutely and completely sure they are witnessing a real kidnapping. my .02c

Goes in to my point in a previous thread... people are not inherently good citizens.

I've stepped in in other situations (not armed), and I imagine Id do the same if I witnessed something like this.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

This whole thing really unettles me.

I just pray I'm not confronted with a situation like this, and the arse who perpetrates such a hoax on the street should be charged with the results of anything bad that happens.

As far as the discussion here goes, I don't have immunity like a cop does to detain someone to ascertain what is going on. I risk being sued civilly, I risk being charged criminally. I risk suitability and confiscation and everything for some jackass' creative idea.

And if that kid really is that man's son or guardian? She just pepper-sprayed her way into an assault charge even if she believed in her heart that she was doing the right thing. Can you imagine if someone tried to get between you and your kid on the street? In another thread here today someone talked about willingly accepting the consequences and going to jail for going berserk on hospital employees and/or state workers for doing that.

I don't understand the concept of "holding someone at gunpoint" as a "civilian". I'm not a cop, I'm not trained in holding someone at gunpoint, or apprehending someone or restraining someone. My gun is not a tool of my job, it's a tool to protect myself and my family, or perhaps others in imminent physical danger. Not holding someone at gunpoint to be shot at (likely missed) by 23 donut-stuffing adrenaline jacked hyperventilating cops.

Besides, you gonna shoot someone walking away?

Once the kidnapping threat has ended you probably can't use force to hold a "fleeing felon" either (in Massachusetts)) if you want to have any kind of a life going forward.

All that on top of being 100% gol-dang certain about what is/was going on.

No thanks. Step in if you can while keeping your distance and call 911. Tail him if you wanna risk being the next Zimmerman -- almost white on minority cause celeb further on top of the rest of the complicated scenario, too.

Honestly, I think that this presents a good argument for CCW. I'd be willing to bet that part of the passive responses and not wanting to get involved was due to simple fear of going up against the perpetrator. Knowing that if SHTF you have the means of defending yourself against a potentially armed abductor might very well change some of the reactions.
the fear of going against the state is what keeps folks from protecting each other. Some dipshit cop gets to cut down a scumbag (maybe killing the kid in the process, Detroit comes to mind), but an honest father gets jail time for the same thing....**** society and the cops that enforce this ******* agenda. This is why we won't save each other and why .gov will win.

Hey Pilgrim, it blocked out my swear, isn't this site great?

- - - Updated - - -

To everybody, badged or not. Touch my kid, and you will die. I'm not threatening you...I'm warning you. Attempt to play this bullcrap, and you'll end up dead. I might, too, but you'll still be dead with me.

Last edited:
While it might be embarrassing and a little frustrating, I think/hope a real parent is going to relax a bit if you explain you're going to call the cops to verify identity for the kids safety. A kidnapper is just as likely to freak out and try to force the issue or get away if they can. I'm not advocating attacking the kidnapper, but being a wall. Get on the phone call the cops, take pictures of both the kid and kidnapper, and try to diffuse the situation.

I almost never advocate calling the cops because it usually goes downhill quickly, but in this case, they have a significant ability to identify the person and determine if the kid should go with them.

While it might be embarrassing and a little frustrating, I think/hope a real parent is going to relax a bit if you explain you're going to call the cops to verify identity for the kids safety. A kidnapper is just as likely to freak out and try to force the issue or get away if they can. I'm not advocating attacking the kidnapper, but being a wall. Get on the phone call the cops, take pictures of both the kid and kidnapper, and try to diffuse the situation.

I almost never advocate calling the cops because it usually goes downhill quickly, but in this case, they have a significant ability to identify the person and determine if the kid should go with them.

I don't think it's going to go well with many real parents. Besides the defensiveness they may be feeling at the situation, many wouldn't want the cops involved in this little family squabble either.

But I think we wind up with the same approach; interfere verbally, make your presence and objection known, call the cops. Pics are a great idea, especially if he/they leave.

Last edited:
the fear of going against the state is what keeps folks from protecting each other. Some dipshit cop gets to cut down a scumbag (maybe killing the kid in the process, Detroit comes to mind), but an honest father gets jail time for the same thing....**** society and the cops that enforce this ******* agenda. This is why we won't save each other and why .gov will win.

- - - Updated - - -

To everybody, badged or not. Touch my kid, and you will die. I'm not threatening you...I'm warning you. Attempt to play this bullcrap, and you'll end up dead. I might, too, but you'll still be dead with me.

Lighten up Francis. This board is privately owned.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

- - - Updated - - -

You are obviously new here. Something tells me you won't be around long.

IDGAF what the legalities are, if the kid seems legit the guy isn't going anywhere.

Even if i got screwed by the law, it's worth it.

People suck, BTW.

Goes in to my point in a previous thread... people are not inherently good citizens.
While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I don't think this video really supports your comment. In most of those encounters in the video, the kid doesn't really seem believable. In those first couple examples, I probably wouldn't have done anything either, because the kid in no way seemed legit. In the last example where the guy became aggressive, only THEN did it get believable.

Had this been a real kidnapping attempt, I think the boy would have been behaving VERY differently, and most likely would have been extremely scared.

I'm sure they're VERY selective about the areas they do these types of shows in(seen others similar) and their "marks". Some parts of the south the guy probably would have been shot. I know a lot of guys that would have knocked the guy out as soon as he came up without thinking.

I'm sure they're VERY selective about the areas they do these types of shows in(seen others similar) and their "marks". Some parts of the south the guy probably would have been shot. I know a lot of guys that would have knocked the guy out as soon as he came up without thinking.

I've always wanted one of these hidden camera things to get really uncomfortable. Maybe something like they find a dead body in a way that would be hard to explain, so the mark they picked just says something like "ok, you go get the saw from my trunk. You help me move this guy into the bathroom. We'll take care of this, don't worry, I've done this before."

I've always wanted one of these hidden camera things to get really uncomfortable. Maybe something like they find a dead body in a way that would be hard to explain, so the mark they picked just says something like "ok, you go get the saw from my trunk. You help me move this guy into the bathroom. We'll take care of this, don't worry, I've done this before."

They've done pranks along those lines on "Scare Tactics".

Google:

"lethal force to stop a kidnapping"

From the thousands of cited laws it seems to me like it IS legal.

Just not in Massachusetts. You know Marsha Coakley and all. No self helping or helping anybody!
Nothing is illegal in Massachusetts. The only law they are missing is one that states it's illegal to not be doing anything illegal. Then they can just barbed wire the boarder and declare the whole state a prison camp.

I wonder if the reactions would have been any different had the child actor been a girl?

Here's another prank that could have gone REALLY wrong. I can't tell if the reactions are staged, though. Alot of these youtube "pranks" are staged.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this happened to you, what are the legalities of holding the perp at gunpoint?

Depending on the situation it could go either way. The best thing you can do in this situation (in my non-attorney opinion) is use an appropriate escalation of force, and call the police. If there is any question as to whether or not the guy is the legal guardian of the child, call the police and very loudly and clearly say "we're going to wait for the police to sort this out". Especially if you're in a crowded area, this will get other people involved, either directly or as witnesses, and if you're lucky, you'll get someone recording it on their phone (at which point you should clearly restate that your intent is to wait for the police to come assist). If the man attempts to take the child by force, use force of a similar level to prevent him from doing so. If he uses non-deadly force, respond in kind (H2H, pepper spray, taser or stun gun for the people outside MA). If the bad guy escalates to deadly force, you've got a clear progression of force to show that you had no intent to harm the other person, but were left with no other reasonible option.

Back
Top Bottom