Chicken-killing racoon

Anyone remember the 3 decker guy is Allston Brighton that was jolted out of bed by what he thought was a burglar. He grabs a bat and opens the door to the back porch and a large very angry raccoon jumped him he started screaming and swinging the bat like a madman to protect himself....

The neighbors called the cops and he ended up getting arrested and charged for animal cruelty.....

Anyone remember the 3 decker guy is Allston Brighton that was jolted out of bed by what he thought was a burglar. He grabs a bat and opens the door to the back porch and a large very angry raccoon jumped him he started screaming and swinging the bat like a madman to protect himself....

The neighbors called the cops and he ended up getting arrested and charged for animal cruelty.....

Sounds about right. Self help is discouraged, especially when being attacked by potentially rabid animals. [rofl]

Interesting. What is up inside the cone that attracts them enough to climb over dead bodies to get up in there?

A "proprietary attractant." [thinking]

It's interesting that the pile of dead mice has no deterrent effect at all on the next candidate.

It's interesting that the pile of dead mice has no deterrent effect at all on the next candidate.
I watched the video on their website looks pretty cool I'm wondering if a squirrel can fit in there though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well, the chicken killer returned this evening. It ignored the trap, excavated under the 40 pound piece of stone that was holding the chicken wire at the edge of the run down, tunneled under it, and pried my electric chicken door open again. This time the birds were noisy before anyone was killed. It swiped one of them off it's roost and was chasing it in the run.

Ran downstairs to the coop, but as soon as I turned on light it bolted. Fast little fvcker. Couldn't get a shot off.

Guess I'm up for the day.

Raccoon 2, JayMcB 0

Well, the chicken killer returned this evening. It ignored the trap, excavated under the 40 pound piece of stone that was holding the chicken wire at the edge of the run down, tunneled under it, and pried my electric chicken door open again. This time the birds were noisy before anyone was killed. It swiped one of them off it's roost and was chasing it in the run.

Ran downstairs to the coop, but as soon as I turned on light it bolted. Fast little fvcker. Couldn't get a shot off.

Raccoon 2, JayMcB 0

Damn, dude.

More attractive bait? When I caught mine, the trap was at the end of a channel I made near the path of least resistance, a hole he had made in my door. Maybe leave an intentional breach in your chicken run, and put the trap inside the run just beyond it? If you strung some chicken wire between the breach and the entrance to the trap, it would still keep the chickens in.

Minefield around the run?

Took the kids to Great Wolf Lodge for the weekend, come back this afternoon and what I thought was a fairly secure coop is three chickens down, no blood, just some feathers outside of the coop/run. Mysterious. Just gone, no blood.

Thinking fisher cat? There is a section that once I ran out of hardware cloth I just used strips of wood ~1" apart....maybe that's where the culprit got in? Or vents up near the roof are open.....how did they pull three chickens out, whole, no blood?

Anyone wanna lend a have-a-hart? Will No. 5 shot hurt the trap? Other than waking up the kids right now, noise is not an issue where I am. 22 wouldn't wake them, 12 gauge probably would.
I have a couple of haveahart traps you could borrow. I'm in Burlington Ma.

Thats why electric fences work so well...once they get shocked a couple times they usually give up.

Coons are very smart and given enough time they find a way in. They can even open simple door latches!

Raccoon 2, JayMcB 0

Damn, dude.

More attractive bait? When I caught mine, the trap was at the end of a channel I made near the path of least resistance, a hole he had made in my door. Maybe leave an intentional breach in your chicken run, and put the trap inside the run just beyond it? If you strung some chicken wire between the breach and the entrance to the trap, it would still keep the chickens in.

Minefield around the run?

Brilliant! I'm going to try that. The mines, maybe not so much [smile]

motion detector light pointed near run?

I was thinking the same thing. Something that would sound in the house. Or in the run but near the chicken door so it will trigger while he's prying it open.
Keep something out there to block his exit and trap him in the run if he won't go in the trap.

What did you use for bait in the trap? I think I'd try tuna or sardines to get his attention.

Motion sensor that alarms in the house.

Have the gun ready.

My Akita's would take care of it in a heartbeat. The female I have is a top notch hunter/killer.

I was thinking the same thing. Something that would sound in the house. Or in the run but near the chicken door so it will trigger while he's prying it open.
Keep something out there to block his exit and trap him in the run if he won't go in the trap.

What did you use for bait in the trap? I think I'd try tuna or sardines to get his attention.

I used fishy smelly tuna cat food. It pisses of the chickens that THEY can't have it. I can smell f from 10 feet away.

Brilliant! I'm going to try that. The mines, maybe not so much [smile]

Hope it works.

Might want to stake the trap down too, and quite well; the coon's going to be peeved once it figures out what happened. Plus, the chickens (aka "live bait") will still be pecking all around him; he'll be right pissed, come to think of it.

Not for long, though.

"When I caught mine, the trap was at the end of a channel I made near the path of least resistance, a hole he had made in my door. Maybe leave an intentional breach in your chicken run, and put the trap inside the run just beyond it? If you strung some chicken wire between the breach and the entrance to the trap, it would still keep the chickens in."

You might want to secure the chicken door so it can't be pried open since it managed to get through the chicken wire on the coop the first time.
I'm also thinking you could rig up something in the breach so that it can get in but not out. Something like one of those cone shaped primitive fish traps where the fish can swim in but when they try to swim out there are pointy sticks or wire pieces poking them. I don't know what they are called.
That way if it goes in but doesn't go in the trap you can still choot em!

"When I caught mine, the trap was at the end of a channel I made near the path of least resistance, a hole he had made in my door. Maybe leave an intentional breach in your chicken run, and put the trap inside the run just beyond it? If you strung some chicken wire between the breach and the entrance to the trap, it would still keep the chickens in."

You might want to secure the chicken door so it can't be pried open since it managed to get through the chicken wire on the coop the first time.
I'm also thinking you could rig up something in the breach so that it can get in but not out. Something like one of those cone shaped primitive fish traps where the fish can swim in but when they try to swim out there are pointy sticks or wire pieces poking them. I don't know what they are called.
That way if it goes in but doesn't go in the trap you can still choot em!

I might not have been clear; I'd put a havaheart just beyond the breach, well staked. The breach would funnel the wee beastie into the trap. The funnel would be really short. Jay is really just daring the coon to NOT take advantage of a path of least resistance.

I know now some coons can get out of havaheart traps. Mine spent over 14 hours in there and was pretty sullen about it. I'm thinking Jay can rig up a motion light or something and get there quickly... with a gun.

They do make traps that have a section you can put live bait such as a chicken into for bait.
The critter can't actually get to the chicken, but won't figure that out till too late.
They are a bit pricey though if I recall right.
If you wanted to get creative you could probably rig something like that up with hardware cloth.

Saturate a watermelon with booze cut in half and put it in a garbage can. In the morning he will be in there semi conscious then Do as you like.
Delightfully evil. I like it.

Don't forget the weasels, they'll kill every chicken in your coop just for fun and not eat any of it.
Weasels are so universally hated that Weasel Stomping Day is a real thing.

I shared that with my wife. A least weasel took out half our flock this winter - little ****er just went in there and chewed their heads off. (I owe him thanks for taking out the rooster - I hated that ****er - but not for the rest of the flock.)

Talking about traps, for anyone with a rat or squirrel problem I just bought one of these:

Wow. Wish they made one for weasel.

Took the kids to Great Wolf Lodge for the weekend, come back this afternoon and what I thought was a fairly secure coop is three chickens down, no blood, just some feathers outside of the coop/run. Mysterious. Just gone, no blood.
That sucks.

Cops ought to be sued for false arrest. AND fired. Friggin' city boys, no doubt.

Trap's here. It's baited. Hope the furry fvcker comes back tonight. Got the 617 loaded up with some .22 quiet.
I was going to offer you a box of Aguila Super Colibri but I see you're all set already. Good luck nailing that little ****er.

Mice aren't exactly the big brains of the animal world, you know.

I particularly liked how the second kept twitching.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do make traps that have a section you can put live bait such as a chicken into for bait.
The critter can't actually get to the chicken, but won't figure that out till too late.
They are a bit pricey though if I recall right.
If you wanted to get creative you could probably rig something like that up with hardware cloth.

When your chicken strokes out it kind of defeats the purpose of trying to save it from a predator.

You do realize that a raccoon can weigh 50lbs.?

last one i caught "walked" the have a heart trap a good 20' by the next morning. IF they turn the trap on its side, they can bang on the door and often it will pop open, so staking down the trap is probably a good idea. Covering it with some camo brush is probably smart too....as well as only handling the trap with gloved hands due to your human scent.

Well, this morning finds the fortified coop unbreached, but the trap was unstaked from where it was and dragged 10 feet away, [hmmm]

Put 1x2" wire along the back wall of the run, where it was digging. Then put a line of granite pavers along the outside of the run's wall.

At least this time the tuna drew the furry demon instead of it getting my live birds.

The trap isn't big enough. going to stake a bigger trap with a piece of rebar tonight.

More certain than ever that it's not going to stop, this is 3 nights in a row it's attempted entry....so it's going to die

When your chicken strokes out it kind of defeats the purpose of trying to save it from a predator.

Actually I've seen it done with the coyote traps made for that and the chicken seemed pretty unscathed.
It was probably taunting that coyote all night .
Oh ya ? what you gonna do now Mr. bad ass predator ? Huh, tough guy? [rofl]

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Good luck with the hunt, as others have said a couple runs of hot wire around the fence will help deter critters

I never had much luck with chicken wire, I think it's useless... I use 2x3 welded wire stapled with 1" hand staples into the frame at each intersection of wire for my runs sunk 24-36" below grade back filled about 1/2 way with 3"-6" stone then soil then topped off with crushed rock.

I use 1/2" hardware cloth secured with screwed strips of wood for windows vents etc

Back
Top Bottom