• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chicken-killing racoon

JayMcB

NES Member
Assachusetts when necessary. NH when possible
so...other than a trap, what's the quietest way to kill a racoon?

It literally tore the stapled to PT chicken wire off their enclosed run, pried the (electrically) shut chicken door open and killed 2 and grievously injured another of my hens tonight. (just now). Son of a bitch got my best layer (the double yoke egg-laying chicken) [angry]

I want it dead,
I want it's family dead,
it's friends dead, and it's fvcking racoon head on a pike near the run to discourage anyone it knows from ever coming near again.

it was a big, fat racoon; I was loathe to discharge my 9MM, due to noise concerns at 1AM, and proximity to other residences and massprudence for my LTC

so----will a CO2 powered .22 pellet rifle do it?
quiet 22 in a 10-22?
not so quiet .22 in a 10-22? Stingers?

Internet commandos seem to think the havahart won't stand up to an adult. I guess we'll see.
My BIL is a dairy farmer in Ontario. He probably traps 5-6 Raccoons a year in a Havahart. Ironic name since he throws the traps into a water bin to drown them. He cautioned me that you have to leave them under for a long time.

Where he lives, if you have a dog that worries livestock, the farmer will return it to you: dead. Them's the rules, farmers are not very sentimental about critters.

Saturate a watermelon with booze cut in half and put it in a garbage can. In the morning he will be in there semi conscious then Do as you like.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Or you can call this guy.....

440705f31e1c9a8f268309701503930f.jpg

Use the havahart.
A pull top can of cat food all the way to the back and try and pile stuff around the back and sides so that his only access is the front.
Otherwise they tend to try reaching in or tossing the trap around to get at the food and spring the trap.
Take him down in the basement and give him a .22 to the noggin out of sight and sound of the neighbors.
Wear gloves when picking up the trap and carrying it as they will try and reach out and scratch you a lot of times.
The last bunch I took out of someone's barn (5) I used hay bails to make a cubby to slide the trap into to limit access to the front of the trap.

Your allowed to protect your livestock even here in MA. How you dispatch is up to you.
Just know when you are armed that fat sob will be anywhere but your yard.
Set a trap then dispatch him with a 22

As for pellet gun. A good 22 cal pellet gun will take them down with in 30 yards with a well placed shot.

Women down the street has chickens and sells her eggs. Her choice of dispatch is a 20g.
Also there will be another to take its place not long after you get rid of him.
Any Fishers in your area. They are brutal on chickens also.

the easiest way, unless you enjoy sitting outdoors all night long with a flashlight, is a have-a-heart with a can of kitty food or tuna fish inside. Next morning, murdalize him.

BTW, it needs to be a BIG havaheart trap!

I used to catch coons all the time while trying to round up my feral cats for spay/neutering. It is fun trying to let an angry coon loose from a have-a-heart without getting your face ripped off

My BIL is a dairy farmer in Ontario. He probably traps 5-6 Raccoons a year in a Havahart. Ironic name since he throws the traps into a water bin to drown them. He cautioned me that you have to leave them under for a long time.

Where he lives, if you have a dog that worries livestock, the farmer will return it to you: dead. Them's the rules, farmers are not very sentimental about critters.

A big wet pissed raccoon can bite the handle and your hand on the top of a haveahart. Glove recommended.[smile]

Definitely not legal but golden malrin and coke is suppose to work really well on raccoons or so the internet says anyway. Havahart and water source works on everything though. You might want to try a hot wire around the coop to keep predators out in the future.

Back
Top Bottom