Chicken-killing racoon

LOL, I love the sweet smell of rotting coon in the morning.

Those who think they can drop a coon with a pellet gun haven't shot many coons before.

a good pellet gun and a good shot will do the job.... A 22cal 18 grain + pellet at 850fps will do just fine. would o actively hunt coon with a pellet gun, no. but a controlled area where you can set up and wait, yes. As always shot placement is key.

now would I want to use a 50$ 177 cal from wal mart....no

Last edited:
so...other than a trap, what's the quietest way to kill a racoon?

It literally tore the stapled to PT chicken wire off their enclosed run, pried the (electrically) shut chicken door open and killed 2 and grievously injured another of my hens tonight. (just now). Son of a bitch got my best layer (the double yoke egg-laying chicken) [angry]

I want it dead,
I want it's family dead,
it's friends dead, and it's fvcking racoon head on a pike near the run to discourage anyone it knows from ever coming near again.

it was a big, fat racoon; I was loathe to discharge my 9MM, due to noise concerns at 1AM, and proximity to other residences and massprudence for my LTC

so----will a CO2 powered .22 pellet rifle do it?
quiet 22 in a 10-22?
not so quiet .22 in a 10-22? Stingers?

Bummer! I can't believe it pried the door open!

Be ready. Now that it got a few it will keep coming back for the next few nights until it gets the rest or until you kill it.

We have hardware cloth on our coop with a wood strip nailed around the edges. Much sturdier also $$ but worth it.

I hope to see dead raccoon pics in the morning.

Be ready. Now that it got a few it will keep coming back for the next few nights until it gets the rest or until you kill it.

We have hardware cloth on our coop with a wood strip nailed around the edges. Much sturdier also $$ but worth it.

I hope to see dead raccoon pics in the morning.

Knew one lady that went threw a few rounds of that, losing chickens, cause the raccoon just kept coming back. Be on your guard tonight, and hunting.....

Internet commandos seem to think the havahart won't stand up to an adult. I guess we'll see.

Mine worked fine. Held that big bastard for like eight hours until I got home from work.

A big wet pissed raccoon can bite the handle and your hand on the top of a haveahart. Glove recommended.[smile]

Glove, yes. Wet, no. Why waste the water? I used .455 Webley; the raccoon died very efficiently.

I thought this was going to be about a bad a$$ chicken

LOL, yeah- I wanted to see the chicken that was killing raccoons. [smile]

Hope OP gets the bastard, but if he doesn't maybe we'll get a daily carnage report. Just kidding- kill that bastard!

For an air rifle I'd go with a 25 or 30 cal PCP. Throws a pellet at 900 fps. That's a lot of energy. Can take boars with them.

so...other than a trap, what's the quietest way to kill a racoon?

One of the quietest ways would be to use a CO2 .22 air rifle with an ldc on the front. Quieter than you can imagine and will get the job done with proper pellet placement. (say that five times fast)

But if you don't have the setup, I'd echo the others recommending a Havahart.

Feed them an order of Applebee's chicken tenders. They'll never want chicken again...

Some of them have been known to carry crowbars:

raccoon_thief__by_ursulav.jpg

Anticoagulant rodenticide will kill them. It will cause internal bleeding and hemorrhaging, damages the capillaries. There is extreme pain and Raccoon dies in a few days.

There's really NO need to be cruel.

The vodka watermelon trick works. Then a single .22 in the back of the head. Done.

Remember, sheep are stupid. If you only fire one shot, they make up things in their head about what it was. It's the second shot that will get you in trouble.

There's really NO need to be cruel.

The vodka watermelon trick works. Then a single .22 in the back of the head. Done.

Remember, sheep are stupid. If you only fire one shot, they make up things in their head about what it was. It's the second shot that will get you in trouble.

Yes. I shot mine in my attached basement shed. I had no interest in wasting gallons of water, watching a creature drown, and then being left with a wet, heavy mess. I was concerned about noise, but I reasoned my neighbors would assume I slammed a door or something. Apparently I made the right assumption.

But they might well not have heard it. My wife and kids were watching TV in the same house, just one floor up, and heard nothing even though my wife was listening for it. If that was true of a .455 Webley, I wouldn't even bat an eye about a .22 LR.

buy a fence charger from Tractor Supply. Kill one coon another will soon take its place. Coons especially don't like electric fences. Will also keep away most other critters.

Just be sure to have a wire 6 inches above the ground and keep the grass trimmed around it...wet grass shorts out the fence.

Want to see cruel, check out your chickens after the coon has been in the coop all night.

QFT

The chicken it was mauling was literally screaming. That's what woke up the dogs and me. The racoon had already killed 2 others.
Not eaten, killed. It had mauled a third, the one that was screaming.

The shavings in the coop looked like someone ran a blender filled with fish guts with the top off. I cleaned it up before my kids saw it.

The only update I have is the re-secured chicken wire seems to have prevented a return trip. I have a fence electrifier, but I need to run a dedicated circuit out to the coop on it, because I don't want the outside outlet (which is on the same circuit as my basement freezer) to get popped and have me lose a freezer full of food.

Trap will be here by dusk tomorrow. I'll set it and any raccoon in it is going to be dispatched with extreme prejudice.

Trap will be here by dusk tomorrow. I'll set it and any raccoon in it is going to be dispatched with extreme prejudice.

Talking about traps, for anyone with a rat or squirrel problem I just bought one of these:

Last edited by a moderator:
Took the kids to Great Wolf Lodge for the weekend, come back this afternoon and what I thought was a fairly secure coop is three chickens down, no blood, just some feathers outside of the coop/run. Mysterious. Just gone, no blood.

Thinking fisher cat? There is a section that once I ran out of hardware cloth I just used strips of wood ~1" apart....maybe that's where the culprit got in? Or vents up near the roof are open.....how did they pull three chickens out, whole, no blood?

Anyone wanna lend a have-a-hart? Will No. 5 shot hurt the trap? Other than waking up the kids right now, noise is not an issue where I am. 22 wouldn't wake them, 12 gauge probably would.

Back
Top Bottom