Charter Arms refinishing advice

Right, and it's that controlled, even, and thick layer that you don't necessarily get from exposed aluminum. Check an old aluminum ladder, they often get rather crusty and pitted.

Likewise browning is controlled rust, but if you just strip the bluing off a gun and let it sit you don't get the same effect at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rust, iron oxide, is weak and friable, though, unlike aluminum oxide.

Looks like OP might be able to chemically strip just the color: http://www.instructables.com/id/Removing-Anodizing-From-Aluminum-Quickly-and-Easil/

I will give the same advice that I always give about modifying newly acquired firearms: shoot it a bunch before you change anything.

I give this advice for two reasons. First, if any problems arise which require factory service, it is much easier to resolve those issues if the firearm is unmodified. Second, when people get a strong urge to modify a gun, that urge often goes away after they shoot the gun for a while. In those cases, a lot of needless cost and hassle is saved. In other less common cases, the first several range trips reveal additional modifications that will help the individual shooter. In these cases, all the mods can be done at once, and again there is savings.

So the short summary is: shoot it, then shoot it some more, then consider what changes seem important.

Charter Arms "Shaking My Head"

Anything over $100-$150 too much. (That's the most) Functional as a plinker or night stand gun, I guess.....

You still would have been better off buying a OLD S&W or RUGER REVOLVER, that's a little worn. JMHO

I had picked up one of the ugly silvery/gold Ruger 22/45 LITE's with the intention of having it either re anodized or re-finished with one of the other popular coatings. I took it out and did a lot of shooting with it and decided the color was not that important. The teal Charter Arms revolver is not offensive to me. I would have bought it too. The anodizing will outlast any other coating you put on it. Shoot it, the color will likely grow on you.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy an el cheapo .22 pathfinder. Not many other .22 DA revolvers out there remotely near that price point. I might also buy one of the fruit flavor .38s just to have a revolver since I don't own one.

Last edited:
Paint the muzzle day glow orange, get some red grips and call it done. Eff mass storage laws, no one will think it's real and you've got the ultimate tactical advantage.

Back
Top Bottom