CCW at Logan?

I know this topic has been brought up before, however I have not seen any "written in stone" law-based answers. I searched NES and came up with the following threads:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=824

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28974

The consensus seems to be that it is not illegal to CCW at Logan, although one could possibly get in trouble for doing it. [thinking] [rolleyes]

Does anyone know if any laws pertaining to CCW at Logan have actually been written and published?

The airport isnt a school, so I dont see how it can be illegal. Sure, you wont get through the security checkpoint, but the only reason to go through there is if you are flying, so that isnt an issue. If you are CCWing, how are you going to get into trouble? You might get narc'd if your CCW accidentally turns into Open Carry.....

Legal? Probably. (edit: yes, outside the security area is definitely legal, inside is not, and there may be other areas where airport regulations prohibit it)

Will you eat asphalt if they catch you? If you're lucky.

Last edited:
Everytime I pick up a friend or family member from logan I am carrying. It's legal until you try to pass through a metal detector and enter a "secure" area.

That's it.

I've carried at Logan dozens of times, as recently as this week.

Why wouldn't it be legal, and why would you "eat asphalt" if they "catch you"?

Catch you doing what?

If you lift up your shirt or the wind catches your jacket, and your firearm is exposed, it'll be the same as if it happens on a busy Boston street, except that there's a higher ratio of cops and dumb TSA agents to overreact to it at an airport than there are on the average city street.

Remember, these are the same morons who wouldn't a legendary CMoH winner carry his medal on the flight because it was pointy. I could easily see some TSA person screaming "TERRORIST" frantically if someone's CCW was accidentally exposed, followed by a hail of bullets.

It's the same as carrying in any other place full of high-strung, moonbat idiots. It's legal, it's concealed, keep it that way and there's no issues.

i dont think it would do anything to tsa agents i used to work thier and surprisingly alot of them have thier ltc.

they have a lot of dumb people come through the check point with prohibited crap. i myself have found a firearm in one mans bag, a bullet in another but the best ive heard of was one of the T.S.A. agents ccwing himself. he was suspended for 6 months with pay before they fired him. of cource he passed the check point.

besides they arnt even allowed to touch it they have to call state police to deal with it.

i wouldn't put that passed them thats why im not thier anymore (one of several reasons). just thats not a firearm so different scenario.

it is agreed they are a bunch of asshats. i guess the only way we would ever find out what they would do is if someone got caught ccwing

Check out 740 CMR - there is a regulation prohibiting carry except for police and armored car drivers approved by Massport. Others are required to surrender their guns and explosives to the MSP airport commander for the duration of their visit.

Obviously, the "carry" definition is a bit different than in the rest of the law since guns in luggage are not a problem, plus it would appear the regs allow you to bring the gun to the airport PD,.

I don't know the penalties, or if violation of the CMR is a civil infraction, criminal offense, or something else. I do know that you do not want to have an argument with a trooper over the applicability of the regulations when you have business at the airport.

My son was traveling with me and went thru an airport security check point with his Eagle Scout Medal in it's velvet box in his carry on. We were treated like Gen Foss.

They searched the velvet lined box and literally tore the velvet out and passed the eagle around between the 4-5 people there telling us we couldn't take it on board.

Finally after about 10-15 minutes someone came over and said it was ok.

F'ing idiots !

If you lift up your shirt or the wind catches your jacket, and your firearm is exposed, it'll be the same as if it happens on a busy Boston street, except that there's a higher ratio of cops and dumb TSA agents to overreact to it at an airport than there are on the average city street.

Remember, these are the same morons who wouldn't a legendary CMoH winner carry his medal on the flight because it was pointy. I could easily see some TSA person screaming "TERRORIST" frantically if someone's CCW was accidentally exposed, followed by a hail of bullets.

It's the same as carrying in any other place full of high-strung, moonbat idiots. It's legal, it's concealed, keep it that way and there's no issues.
TSA won't be outside the terminal, for the most part, unless it's a VIPR team and that will be waaaaaaay far away from the airport. TSA screeners (TSOs) have no law enforcement authority as well, so they won't be able to do anything about anything except call in the LEOs.

My son was traveling with me and went thru an airport security check point with his Eagle Scout Medal in it's velvet box in his carry on. We were treated like Gen Foss.

They searched the velvet lined box and literally tore the velvet out and passed the eagle around between the 4-5 people there telling us we couldn't take it on board.

Finally after about 10-15 minutes someone came over and said it was ok.

F'ing idiots !
Amazing stuff.
You can buy a pen or nicely sharpened pencil in the gift shop before you board and never have a problem going through security with it.

Check out 740 CMR - there is a regulation prohibiting carry except for police and armored car drivers approved by Massport. Others are required to surrender their guns and explosives to the MSP airport commander for the duration of their visit.

Obviously, the "carry" definition is a bit different than in the rest of the law since guns in luggage are not a problem, plus it would appear the regs allow you to bring the gun to the airport PD,.

I don't know the penalties, or if violation of the CMR is a civil infraction, criminal offense, or something else. I do know that you do not want to have an argument with a trooper over the applicability of the regulations when you have business at the airport.

That tracks something that I was told by a MSP Trooper at Logan some 30 years ago, but was never able to confirm. I think I told the story here back in the early days.

Brief version:

- Called MSP Troop F (Airport) and somehow got bounced to Cpl. Bellof at 1010 Comm Ave (MSP HQ back then). Asked wrt legality of ccw to gate and leaving firearm with Trooper on duty at gate (back then) to meet my MIL at the gate. He said "no problem" (confirming a Boston attorney friend who used to do this all the time).

- Got to Logan security and talked with Trooper on duty. He refused to hold the gun (his right) and told me it was "illegal to carry on ANY MASSPORT PROPERTY" (that's a lot more than just the Airport). He advised me to go to the Turret (Troop F HQ) and leave it with them.

- MSP Sgt at Turret went into a rant that someday a "good guy" would probably shoot him accidentally unholstering his gun and refused to hold the gun there. He did NOT mention anything about illegal to ccw on Massport property however. By then, I just said my MIL had probably cleared the secure area and "never mind", then left.

We didn't have the Internet back then with ability to check laws and CMRs. I did ask some folks over the years and never was able to confirm the allegation by the Trooper at the secure area.

Since CMRs don't get much oversight and avoid the legislative process, it won't surprise me if they snuck something thru. Guess I'll have to look that one up and check it out someday. Meanwhile I've successfully avoided Logan like the plaque since ~1999, and will continue to do so if at all possible.

Concealed is concealed, right?

Unless you're going through a secured area with a detector then what does it matter?

I may be wrong but JMO.

I have carried at Logan with no issues. I wish I could carry at TF Green, I was waiting to pick up some people last night and had a couple of shady looking characters walk up to the car, I felt naked.

I doubt someone at MSP would actually "cite" 740 CMR. More than likely if they gave someone a hard time it would be under the "because we can" law. [laugh]

-Mike

I doubt someone at MSP would actually "cite" 740 CMR. More than likely if they gave someone a hard time it would be under the "because we can" law.

Agreed, but the existence of 740 CMR might form the basis for training that Massport employees (and probably the police) are given that "carrying a gun is illegal in the airport".

Last time we went through this I looked up the regulation. I'm too lazy to go find it again, but the end result was that carrying a gun at Logan is civil offense punishable by a small fine ($100, I believe).

Last time we went through this I looked up the regulation. I'm too lazy to go find it again, but the end result was that carrying a gun at Logan is civil offense punishable by a small fine ($100, I believe).

no way! Make sure you shirts don't get stuck on the grip of the gun exposing your lead delivery service.

It was >30 years ago, but this story is probably worth telling (again) to point out a few things. Remember, in those days there was NO Internet, NO online way to check MGLs or CMRs to verify any info easily.

I used to shoot with a criminal law attorney who carried all the time. My MIL was flying into Logan and I was going to pick her up, so I asked about carrying in the non-secure area and a way to check the gun to meet her at the gate. My lawyer friend told me he did this all the time and checked his gun at the security checkpoint with a MA State Trooper (back then they supervised the security checkpoints).

I called "F Troop" to verify the info. Unknown to me the phone call bounced to 1010 Comm Ave (MSP HQ) and a Corporal Belloff told me that I could indeed do what was stated above by my lawyer friend.

I arrived at Logan, go to the checkpoint and ask the Trooper to hold onto my firearm while I went to meet my MIL at the gate. He asked if I was LE (this was before I joined the PD) and then told me "it was illegal to possess any firearms on ANY MASSPORT PROPERTY". I explained that Cpl. Belloff had told me that I could legally do this . . . he reiterates that it is illegal, says he won't hold anyone's firearm and suggests that I go up to the Turret (MSP F Troop HQ) and check it there. The Sgt at the desk doesn't mention anything about it being illegal but refuses to check the gun. By now, my MIL is "on the ground", so I just leave and wait for her outside the secure area.

Lessons learned:

- Ask 3 MSP Troopers a firearms question and get 3 different answers!

- If it were really illegal to possess a firearm "on any Massport property" (never did find out) this could be a major problem: No transporting/carrying on the Mass Turnpike, Mystic River Bridge, Airport property, no bringing any firearms on airplanes to go hunting or anything else.

- Since CMRs are administrative laws and don't undergo any real scrutiny for legality/constitutionality, etc. who knows what some admin dweeb "created as law"!

- Remember this was >30 years ago, when MGLs on firearms were a LOT SIMPLER! Today, with >400 pages describing MA gun laws, literally nobody knows all the laws and admin laws (CMRs) and how they would be interpreted at any location/time!

Yeah, Len, I hear ya. Who the heck knows if this CMR would even be enforced (or is enforceable), and any given LEO at Logan wouldn't even necessarily know which regulation prohibits carry. The CMR we're discussing wasn't even in place when your story took place, as it wasn't written until in 2000 (though there might have been some pre-dating reg).

I dug up my old post with the actual text of the regulation. I was wrong, it's only a $50 fine for a first offense. Given that that is the worst you'd get, I wouldn't hesitate to carry (outside the sterile area) at Logan.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=836611&postcount=10

Back
Top Bottom