Carrying pistol in trunk..clarification

My reading of the MA laws is that if your firearm of any type is locked in a truck of a car which is out of reach it is OK. I was told today at a shop that it still has to have a trigger lock. I have a Class A LTC. What's the truth??
Thanks

News Shooter said:
My reading of the MA laws is that if your firearm of any type is locked in a truck of a car which is out of reach it is OK. I was told today at a shop that it still has to have a trigger lock. I have a Class A LTC. What's the truth??
Thanks

The gun can be stored, unloaded, in a "locked container or with a tamper resistant mechanical lock". I don't have Chapter and verse handy (Len?), but that's what the MGLs state. However, when you purchase a gun, even if you have a trigger lock or cable lock or any other type of lock, they dealer has to sell you a lock for that gun as well.

Re: I unterstand that part

News Shooter said:
My question is specific...IF a handgun is unloaded and in the locked trunk of a car..is that OK?? Does it also need to have some kind of a trigger lock?
I hope I'm being clear

What I quoted was MA law hun - that's as clear as it gets. Reading the law the way it's written, then the locked truck of your car meets the requirements. I'm not a lawyer, so, what I would suggest is that you put it into some type of locked carrying case if you don't have a trigger lock on it. Ya never know when you need to open the trunk or who'll see the inside of it. JMHO. Also - if your car is stolen, then that's not a good thing either. You could potentially be held responsible...we're in MA, remember? :)

Re: I hear you

News Shooter said:
I just want to make sure I don't mess up. Did I mention that I hate this state?

N.S. If I had a dollar for each time Ive said that I would be a millionaire. :(

And honestly this forum helps me out quite a bit. I don't feel like I'm so alone in this hell hole.

As Lynne stated:

- Storage (ANYWHERE) - locking mechanism, trigger lock, locked case, locked container, etc. A locked trunk or locked closet (but NOT a locked room) are defined as meeting this requirement. BTW, even if totally disassembled, it must still have a lock on it or in a locked container.

OK I'm not trying to beat a dead horse

But here's the law
I have a class A. Can I transport it unloaded in the locked trunk of my car or not??

GENERAL LAWS OF MASSACHUSETTS
PART I.
ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT
TITLE XX.
PUBLIC SAFETY AND GOOD ORDER

CHAPTER 140. LICENSES
SALE OF FIREARMS

Chapter 140: Section 131C Carrying of firearms in a vehicle

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

(d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) any officer, agent or employee of the commonwealth or any state or the United States; (ii) any member of the military or other service of any state or of the United States; (iii) any duly authorized law enforcement officer, agent or employee of any municipality of the commonwealth; provided, however, that any such person described in clauses (i) to (iii), inclusive, is authorized by a competent authority to carry or possess the weapon so carried or possessed and is acting within the scope of his duties.

(e) A conviction of a violation of this section shall be reported forthwith by the court or magistrate to the licensing authority who shall immediately revoke the card or license of the person so convicted. No new such card or license may be issued to any such person until one year after the date of revocation.

Return to:
** Next Section *

Short answer is YES!

Chief Glidden's book (available from the Municipal Police Institute) points this out clearly. MGL is obtuse, as usual.

The words "carry" (means on the person) and "possession" (LTC-B) mean different things. Thus with LTC-A you CAN "possess" in the trunk just like a person with a LTC-B MUST DO.

Lens thank you

That's the way I read it as well. This place is amazing.

So, for the "unofficial "record:

With my Class A in my pocket I can place my unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of my car and go to the range and not get into trouble.

Hopefully, this is the end of it. The reason I brought it up is because someone at a store told me the other day I absolutely must always have a gun lock installed or else.

Re: Lens thank you

News Shooter said:
Hopefully, this is the end of it. The reason I brought it up is because someone at a store told me the other day I absolutely must always have a gun lock installed or else.

Again, yes you can. (and thank you for finding chapter and verse). However, as stated previously, it might be a better idea to have it in some type of case, locked in the trunk of you car. Just trying to help CYA hun. [wink]

I would always want a gun cased, rather than banging around in the trunk getting scratched up.

Very few people (including LEOs) know that you can legally store a handgun in the locked trunk. Lots of confusion about our dumb laws.

Re: Thanks!

News Shooter said:
This board is very helpful....

the one minor complaint i have is that every time you post you have to log on even if you haven't signed off
Is that something that can be changed??

Is your LTC A conditional, or ALP?

Sorry if you told us and I just can't find it.

Re: Thanks!

News Shooter said:
This board is very helpful....

the one minor complaint i have is that every time you post you have to log on even if you haven't signed off
Is that something that can be changed??

What style are you set on? Are you set to "remember me" at the login screen?

Re: I'm an ALP

News Shooter said:
as far as the sign up is concerned..I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.it's no big deal....

Check the little box under your password area. Then, when you come back to the site, all you have to do is type in your user name and then hit tab, and then return.

I look at it this way. No matter where I'm going, and where the firearm is located. It's in a locked container. I don't carry any firearms in a case that can't be locked.

So no just putting a firearm in a soft bag if it's not lockable, or there's a cable lock on it somehow.

I find it easier than trying to figure out the law, doing what would be more than and above what I understand just to be sure. If I have a question, just do it all.

A locked trunk might cut it, but if it's in a locked case, in a locked trunk then you know you have your bases covered.

MA laws are like firearm safety. You can never be OVERLY safe.

BTW, even if totally disassembled, it must still have a lock on it or in a locked container.

Good grief, Len, you mean that the Garand that I've got in a dozen pieces on my work bench still needs a lock on the trigger group??!!

Enh, I guess I can answer my own question...the pieces could be reassembled by a house-breaking, drug-crazed M1 collector and used for nefarious purposes. [roll]

Still, it seems like the trigger group with the lock on it is more dangerous as a bludgeon...

masochusetts said:
BTW, even if totally disassembled, it must still have a lock on it or in a locked container.

Good grief, Len, you mean that the Garand that I've got in a dozen pieces on my work bench still needs a lock on the trigger group??!!

Yes, the idiots never thought of folks stripping down a gun and leaving it soak in cleaning solvents. If you aren't standing over it, it must have a lock on it! This is something I discussed with Ron Glidden a few years ago. I bought some of those cheap plastic locks with a washer key . . . since it is cheap plastic, a screw and key it should comply and not be much loss if it dissolves!

Another option is to store it while soaking in a locked closet, if you have that sort of storage area.

My fellow inmates, er, I mean, citizens of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts: You can rest easy, for I have now secured the trigger of my disassembled M1 Garand. Nobody is going to steal all the pieces of my rifle, reassemble them, and then threaten our children. I'm a little afraid that somebody could break in and beat the crap out of me with this assembly, because it now weighs about 10 pounds. But it will never contribute to firing a bullet!

safe_trigger.jpg

But I didn't stop there! No sir! Because I CARE, I also took one of the gun locks I won last week and secured the stock!
safe_stock.jpg

Back
Top Bottom