Cape Gun Works Re-Opening With New Range

Can you shoot under the power lines down the Cape? How about out on the dunes (like a giant sand pit)?

Like I said, they don't have a choice which is why the appropriation of funds was unanimous.

I'm not a Barnstable resident, so I was not privy to that info. I guess the chances of it opening are better than I had assumed but I'm still not going to hold my breath.

Can you shoot under the power lines down the Cape? How about out on the dunes (like a giant sand pit)?
People used to do that all the time. I once found a pile of .35 caliber lead rifle bullets and .45 acp bullets under an eroding sand dune. These days, I've heard of people popping off a couple rounds at the beach then hightailing it before the cops get there, but nobody really just goes out there and shoots casually anymore. The power lines are a public utility, so shooting there is a recipe for disaster

People used to do that all the time. I once found a pile of .35 caliber lead rifle bullets and .45 acp bullets under an eroding sand dune. These days, I've heard of people popping off a couple rounds at the beach then hightailing it before the cops get there, but nobody really just goes out there and shoots casually anymore. The power lines are a public utility, so shooting there is a recipe for disaster

yeah...

"What you tolerate, you validate. What you put up with, YOU DESERVE!"

~Scrivener

I am considering a midweek membership but the web site is short on info. What time is the range open, how late are they open, does midweek include evening, Friday evening?

I am considering a midweek membership but the web site is short on info. What time is the range open, how late are they open, does midweek include evening, Friday evening?

I see
You've run into more of their plot to get people who don't pay attention to the details to sign up and then come to find they can't use the range because of their schedule. Who doesn't love free money?!

A few of things to consider with pricing:

1. No free labor. Actually, they have to pay all the overhead of "legitimate, on the books hiring". I'll bet they even pay to have the shiitters cleaned a few times a week.

2. Higher standards. You won't get "gun club grunginess". The big test here is will the place continue to have clean floors, fresh paint, etc. after 5 years of use or will it go downhill? If they succeed, it will be maintained to a much higher standard that a non-profit club.

3. Indoor range to OSHA standards for regular employee exposure. That probably means HEPA filtration, and regular filter changed to avoid discharging pollutants outside the building. You will not see this on any "volunteer managed gun club" (at least none that I have seen)

The two downsides are price (but thou gettuth what thou payuth for) and your relationship will be customer, not member, based. That means you can't expect a key to the building for 24x7 range access like at many private clubs. But, that relationship also means no invitations to work parties, requests to take out the trash, invites to come in and string single mode fiber cable, or calls from the club leadership asking for help with a problem.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I don't get on NES as much as I would like to...but let me update you on the status of our new range.

We decided about 5 years ago to pursue the opening of Cape Cods first commercially run range, pro shop, and training center. This approach is new to the area, and largely new to the region. There are a few around throughout the state and NH. I had been traveling around to various training classes with a lifelong friend and we started to kick around the idea of importing the model from some of the ranges we visited. I had been to Florida and seen some beautiful ranges down there when I was 18 years old and the dream was born...
In the past five years we had a lot of ups and downs trying to find the right building (for the right price) faced the decision to start the store from scratch (or try to buy an existing gun shop...that didn't go so well), and then convince a bank that it was a good idea to lend us a bunch of money. We wouldn't take no for an answer, and with a lot of help from fellow gun enthusiasts, were were able to bring it to fruition. This was no easy task and we are all in. We are not wealthy by any standard, and literally have put our heart, soul, and what little money we had into it.
Now for the details:
20,000 sf facility
15 Rifle rated lanes split into 2 bays.
Action Target Total Containment Trap, ballistic booths, and target retrievers.
Careys range ventilation HEPA filtration with heat, ac, and humidity control.
HEPA dust filtration at the bullet trap (separate from the HVAC).
4,000sf Pro shop with lots of rentals and a try before you buy oppourtunity.
Large classroom for training opportunities, events, private functions, and rent.

We realize we cannot compete price wise with a private volunteer run club (of which we are members of several). That was not the intention. It was to give busy people a place to shoot, and more importantly a place to receive quality training. We have been open for 1 week at the new location and welcome everyone to come and take a look! We have our grand opening this Friday through Wednesday.
A couple of Highlights:
Friday and Saturday Sig will be there along with polycase ammo, Goal, NRA, JP, SVI, and Serbu (via RB as mentioned earlier). Some of you know attorney Keith Langer...he will be answering your gun related legal questions.
We have a party on Friday evening with "Walking The Line" and Charlie Ferren playing, food, and some door prizes etc. (Call 508-771-3600 for tickets if interested in coming).
As far as memberships, it is as cheap as we could set them considering the cost to get everything built, set up and stocked. They range from 300 for a mid week: M-F 9-4 (if you come nights and weekends you pay half the range fees $15.00 instead of $30.00)
Full Annual is $500.00 per year, and you never pay range fees. You also get 5% off all accessories in pro shop, 10% off any classes we offer, and $25.00 off any regularly priced firearms.
Both memberships have a $175.00 one time fee that we waive if you sign up for 3 years. Memberships can be made into a family membership good for 4 of the same household, for an additional 50%.
As Mentioned there are lifetime memberships available as well.
If membership doesn't work for you, or you are too far away, you can get a day use membership for $45.00 (including a lane rental), and then it is $30.00 per visit after that.

Hope I have answered a few of the lingering questions, and I am happy to answer some more. We look forward to hosting some great events in the future: bowling pin shoots, gallery course shooting, IPSC/IDPA, and fun 3 gun shoots.

The scedule for training is: Sunday Ian Strimbeck will be teaching a 4 hour intro to Dynamic Focus Shooting, and Rob Pincus will be teaching on the 25th a Fundamentals of Combat Focus Shooting (sold out), and his new Armed defense in the home course on the 26th. This is one of the official stops on his PDN Network Training tour 2017, and we hope to get him every year after.

Look forward to seeing you all there at some point! If you want to see pictures or video, you can go to facebook.com/capegunworks

Best,
Toby

Friday and Saturday Sig will be there along with polycase ammo, Goal, NRA, JP, SVI, and Serbu (via RB as mentioned earlier).
Correction - I will be there Friday only. Sat and Sun are the USPSA class @ Hopkinton.

Friday and Saturday Sig will be there along with polycase ammo, Goal, NRA, JP, SVI, and Serbu (via RB as mentioned earlier).
Correction - I will be there Friday only. Sat and Sun are the USPSA class @ Hopkinton.

We all know JP can't sell their rifles in the DPRM at present, so I will bring a 9x19 JP upper and a Rock River Arms conversion unit for the lower plus converted pre-bad UZI mags (cheap) so visitors can see just how easy it is to covert their 5.56 into a 9x19 in a fully reversable manner (no changes to your lower) while staying compliant with all that the crown imposes on us. When you compare the cost of 9mm to 223 ammo, I think that starts to look interesting.

We all know JP can't sell their rifles in the DPRM at present, so I will bring a 9x19 JP upper and a Rock River Arms conversion unit for the lower plus converted pre-bad UZI mags (cheap) so visitors can see just how easy it is to covert their 5.56 into a 9x19 in a fully reversable manner (no changes to your lower) while staying compliant with all that the crown imposes on us. When you compare the cost of 9mm to 223 ammo, I think that starts to look interesting.
Do they by any chance do a .40sw upper? I have one of the glock mag lowers that I would love to top off with a pistol length upper (8"ish)

Depending on family/work comitments I'm going to try to make it friday.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Pardon my ignorance, but if the lower shares parts with it's evil twin then it is aginst the lawr. No?

Pardon my ignorance, but if the lower shares parts with it's evil twin then it is aginst the lawr. No?
First of all, not "against the law", but "against the law according to the AG". Do not concede her interpretation is correct.

The RRA adapter allows one to convert one of your existing lowers into a 9x19 lower that accepts Colt or Uzi mags, thus there is no new lower involved. The beauty of this system is that it does not require any modification to the lower, and legit pre-ban Uzi mags are plentiful and cheap ($12 if you get the really nice ones from that guy in Wyoming), and easily modified (cut a new mag catch). The only limitation is modified Uzi mags to not have the last shot hold open feature.

A few of things to consider with pricing:

3. Indoor range to OSHA standards for regular employee exposure. That probably means HEPA filtration, and regular filter changed to avoid discharging pollutants outside the building. You will not see this on any "volunteer managed gun club" (at least none that I have seen)

The two downsides are price (but thou gettuth what thou payuth for) and your relationship will be customer, not member, based. That means you can't expect a key to the building for 24x7 range access like at many private clubs. But, that relationship also means no invitations to work parties, requests to take out the trash, invites to come in and string single mode fiber cable, or calls from the club leadership asking for help with a problem.

3. Braintree R&P has 2 indoor HEPA filtered ranges. Pretty sure that there are a few other clubs that have HEPA ranges as well but they are horrendously expensive to build and operate. BR&P probably pays 3-4x the annual budget of almost any other volunteer club just to buy, install and legally dispose of the HEPA filters.

In 18 yrs of membership at BR&P we have never had a work party. The club hires out (3 bids) work that needs to be done, but we have a fat treasury that allows us that luxury.

Best of luck to Cape Gun Works, I hope they are able to become successful.

I was there on the day they opened last Friday. Nice spacious and clean shop. The membership range fees were a little high given my retirement income and the fact that I already belong to a Cape club with indoor and outdoor ranges. Nevertheless, I see myself renting lanes on an hourly basis while trying out new stuff, and also centerfire rifle in the winter time.
I'd be there today but I'm writing this from Amsterdam on a weeks VaCay with Mrs. KM, kids and grandchild.

Hi Guys,
I don't get on NES as much as I would like to...but let me update you on the status of our new range.

If membership doesn't work for you, or you are too far away, you can get a day use membership for $45.00 (including a lane rental), and then it is $30.00 per visit after that.

Best,
Toby

Toby, that information does not jive with your website which states:

"Non-Member Range Usage:
Walk-in Lane Rental: $20/hour off-peak, $25/hour Nights/Weekends Member Guest Fee: $10 per person (Max of 2 Guests) *All Members and Daily visitors must be able to pass a background check"

I'm sure these are just "growing pain" type things that you will get clarified in short order. I wish you great luck and will visit when I am in the area.

"Non-Member Range Usage:
Walk-in Lane Rental: $20/hour off-peak, $25/hour Nights/Weekends Member Guest Fee: $10 per person (Max of 2 Guests) *All Members and Daily visitors must be able to pass a background check"

I'm sure these are just "growing pain" type things that you will get clarified in short order. I wish you great luck and will visit when I am in the area.

Legally there is no way to do a background check. Only FFLs can do it but ONLY when someone is buying a gun. Any other use of the system is illegal.

Legally there is no way to do a background check. Only FFLs can do it but ONLY when someone is buying a gun. Any other use of the system is illegal.

So how are the gun rental ranges supposed to know if someone is a prohibited person ???

Didn't another range get in trouble for renting guns to, and allowing PP's to shoot in their facility ???

So how are the gun rental ranges supposed to know if someone is a prohibited person ???

Didn't another range get in trouble for renting guns to, and allowing PP's to shoot in their facility ???

Yes, both AFS and S&W had that problem. BATFE required AFS to get an ID from renters and copy it, providing copies or a log to BATFE on a regular basis. No idea if they still do it as I haven't been there in years. Rumor has it that S&W shut down their range and this was one of the reasons.

The most that a range can do is have renters sign a waiver claiming not to be a PP.

ETA: A way around their statement is to only rent to LTC holders, as the active LTC proves that they aren't PP.

Last edited:
A way around their statement is to only rent to LTC holders, as the active LTC proves that they aren't PP.
Which is exactly what Mass Firearms School does.

Yes, both AFS and S&W had that problem. BATFE required AFS to get an ID from renters and copy it, providing copies or a log to BATFE on a regular basis. No idea if they still do it as I haven't been there in years. Rumor has it that S&W shut down their range and this was one of the reasons.
Another problem rental ranges in MA face is varying interpretations as to the exemption allowing a non-licensee to handle and fire guns under the supervision of an LTC holder. In friendly towns, this means that the clerk at the desk has an LTC. In less accommodating towns, this means that an LTC holder has to go with the renter out onto the firing line for the duration of the activity. I believe this is what was used to shut down the Boston Gun Range in Worcester.

Correct about the growing pains...We are having the website brought up to speed. All the documents say we reserve the right to change. It will be updated soon, if I was a web guy it would be done already. We chose thewrong company to do the web the first time and trying to update it, is like doing a 3 point turn in a school bus in Boston. Thanks for checking us out.

"Non-Member Range Usage:

It really is a terrible system in MA. If a guest does not have a LTC because they are from out of town or a tourist, they must hire a RSO to work 1 on 1 with them.

It really is a terrible system in MA. If a guest does not have a LTC because they are from out of town or a tourist, they must hire a RSO to work 1 on 1 with them.
At least you don't have the business risk of taking the "it's ok, we're here at the front desk" approach and then having the system come down on you after your first suicide.

Last edited:
Let the range set up their policies and stop worrying about it. It's their responsibility. This is starting to sound like an anti town council meeting.

But how does the range officer know if the guest is a federally prohibited person ???

If a range has renters sign a waiver claiming to not be a PP, to date it has been enough so that instructors and ranges have not faced legal trouble. The media is altogether another story.

As an instructor I also have no way to know if a person is a PP or not, so waivers and disclaimers are the only thing you really can do.

Back
Top Bottom