Cape Gun Works Re-Opening With New Range

I will be there on Friday with Infinity, JP and Serbu stuff. I do not yet know if there will be tests firing of my Fifty, but I have assured the owner it is safe because of the "front towards enemy ->" nomenclature on the muzzle break.

This place is real. They are not asking for thousands for advance membership for a club to be built, for which a location and financing has not yet been procured (which seems to be the standard for funding a new range).

I saw the building when it was an empty shell. This is not a site adapted to be a range and training facility; it is a complete purpose built place. Whomever put up the $$ has balls the size of watermelons.

Last edited:
For less than half the $ for the cheapest membership option there you could join a club with indoor and outdoor ranges (and shoot on weekends). I'd also wonder what happens when you purchase a lifetime membership and they close within 5 years.

For less than half the $ for the cheapest membership option there you could join a club with indoor and outdoor ranges (and shoot on weekends). I'd also wonder what happens when you purchase a lifetime membership and they close within 5 years.

They are obviously targeting a pretty specific type of customer. I think it is great. Sure, you can find a cheaper club, or you can find a place in the woods to shoot for free.
If you are shooting center fire, factory ammo, every range trip is $100 - $200 or more, so who cares if a membership is a few hundred more per year? I would join in a hot minute if I was closer.

I wish them the very best of luck. I hope they are successful and that more facilities like this one pop up.

Great news. If I was closer I would be in like flint....
As a side benifitt the more non-club ranges the better as I think more non gunners would be more possible starting at a shop with a range as opposed to a full size range

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RANGE MEMBERSHIP
$475.00–$10,000.00

DESCRIPTION

Membership Options
Lifetime V.I.P. Founding Membership: $10,000.00
Lifetime Full Membership: $6,000.00
Lifetime Mid-week Membership: $4,000.00
Full Annual Member: $500 / Year plus Initiation Fee $175
Mid-Week Annual Member: $300 / Year plus Initiation Fee $175

$500 a year to be able to shoot on weekends,damn.Are there any other clubs in the area ?

Must be a very nice place catering to very specific shooters.

Good luck to them. More ranges the better.
Regarding the pricing. Seems a little more expensive than other ranges but gun culture 2.0 people will find the modern facilities, store, lighting, 100% less fudd, a big plus. If you're used to spending $75/month on a super phone, $90/month on a gym membership, you'll probably fit right in. The location relative to Boston though...

According to their website you can rent by the hour, no membership needed. Good for tourists. You can also rent guns. I do see your point about cost of membership.

RANGE MEMBERSHIP
$475.00–$10,000.00

DESCRIPTION

Membership Options

$500 a year to be able to shoot on weekends,damn.Are there any other clubs in the area ?

I don't mind the membership fees, but despise the initiation fees.

What does the fine print say about the definition of "Lifetime". The members lifetime or the ranges lifetime.
If they have done their legal work correctly, any "life membership" in the event of closing would be a claim on the business assets, not those of the principals.

What remains to be seen is their pricing - will this become a "destination shop" (like Four Seasons and Collectors) or will they charge "Cape convenient location prices" for the guns. Time will tell.

The AG ban is going to hurt - these guys were the most friendly AR shop I have ever seen - far more accessories for the EBR platform that I've seen at any other shop in the DPRM.

Last edited:
Damn, I was right down the road from them for a business meeting earlier this week. I had the time I could have stopped in but didn't think to look for gun shops in the area. Best of luck to them on the grand opening and I hope to visit next time I'm down that way.

i'm never in that area, but props to them for opening a range. anyone who expands their 2A business to this extent in Mass is doing a good thing. hopefully they do well and their range helps a lot of people get their LTC.

According to their website you can rent by the hour, no membership needed. Good for tourists.

It is a shame that fact is buried within their website at the bottom of the "membership" page in a link titled "description". [frown]

I have pointed this out to them for correction.

Due to my query, they are also going to determine if someone will be allowed to rent a lane and use a personally owned machine gun.

RANGE MEMBERSHIP
$475.00–$10,000.00

DESCRIPTION

Membership Options

500 a year?! Lol how about no.

Its a private club and can charge what they want and i understand that. It seems we are getting a future look of this sport. It will eventually be a sport that will be dominated by people with money. That area is full of shooters(new shooters) with no where to go especially since the public range closed. Most clubs on the cape are either full or are very difficult to get into. My job puts me on Cape Cod most of the week and i talk to an average of about 30-50 different people a day. It bothers me that many of my customers who use to shoot have stopped because they say that have no where to go. The few clubs that are open are looking for people to donate x amount of hours to maintain membership. Its hard enough for someone working full time with a family to find time to go shooting let alone donate hours to a club. Just my rant

Cape Cod Fish & Game is accepting members and has a 24/7 indoor range and rifle, trap, pistol, and plinking ranges for less than half the cost of the cheapest membership at this new range. I think Monument Beach Sportsmen's Club, Nauset, and Bass River are accepting members too but not sure. Also the Barnstable town range will be opening again.

Its a private club and can charge what they want and i understand that. It seems we are getting a future look of this sport. It will eventually be a sport that will be dominated by people with money. That area is full of shooters(new shooters) with no where to go especially since the public range closed. Most clubs on the cape are either full or are very difficult to get into. My job puts me on Cape Cod most of the week and i talk to an average of about 30-50 different people a day. It bothers me that many of my customers who use to shoot have stopped because they say that have no where to go. The few clubs that are open are looking for people to donate x amount of hours to maintain membership. Its hard enough for someone working full time with a family to find time to go shooting let alone donate hours to a club. Just my rant

I would not hold your breath on the Barnstable town range opening any time soon.

Yeah. A closed PUBLIC RANGE in MA reopening? Snowball's chance in hell of that ever happening. It's about as likely as the guys on Nantucket ever being able to open a range. The only way the Barnstable range is reopening is if some private entity buys it from the town and reopens it as a private club which is also very unlikely.

It's about as likely as the guys on Nantucket ever being able to open a range.
Funny you should mention that. I was the designated shooter for two noise testing expeditions to Nantucket in preparation for their defense against a suit trying to prevent the Nantucket Hunting Club from opening. I also spent many hours in a law office with two attorneys as the sound expert who hired me as a sub contractor, then I spent two days in land court at the Suffolk County courthouse in Boston. In the end, I felt like one of those farmers paid to not grow a crop since they attorneys could choose between another day of trial, or stipulating as to the content of my testimony. (I got paid for never testifying).

The money on this case was huge. High quality law firm; always two lawyers; multiple trips to Nantucket; a trial that was held partially in a courthouse on Nantucket and partially in Boston; and an expensive expert on both sides. The opposition did not do any field testing, but flew in one of the country's top noise experts from Arizona for the trial. I would guess six figure legal bill on both sides.

We are currently awaiting a decision from the court.

So, you are never going to get paid on the side bet of getting "man from Nantucket" into the official testimony? Too bad.
The deal was I was to get a $100 bonus if I worked that phrase into my testimony. I was hoping opposing counsel would ask if I had a financial interest in my testimony, to which I would reply "Yes, I get $100 if I use the phrase 'the man from Nantucket' when answering your questions, and thank you."

OK, how about $675 for the first year then?

I'll admit, I have no idea of the financials of an indoor range such as theirs. I do however belong to three sportmen's/ rod & gun clubs in MA.

Sure, it may come down to the financials, but the reality is that for many people, when so many other places are much cheaper (even with more limited offerings at their other ranges), it's hard to justify spending that money regardless. Most people when they quote the "financials of a business" do so with an assumption that the company is actually doing something they have deemed will work and pay off for them and that they have set
Themselves up by paying for what's needed instead of blowing the bank in things that will not generate a return. In this day and age, I don't share that assumption.

It absolutely will reopen, the town has no choice. Maybe you missed the town council approving $350k for site assessment/improvement last Thursday. [wink]

Yeah. A closed PUBLIC RANGE in MA reopening? Snowball's chance in hell of that ever happening. It's about as likely as the guys on Nantucket ever being able to open a range. The only way the Barnstable range is reopening is if some private entity buys it from the town and reopens it as a private club which is also very unlikely.

It absolutely will reopen, the town has no choice. Maybe you missed the town council approving $350k for site assessment/improvement last Thursday. [wink]

I'm not a Barnstable resident, so I was not privy to that info. I guess the chances of it opening are better than I had assumed but I'm still not going to hold my breath.

Back
Top Bottom