Can't find any self defense 9mm ammo... any suggetions?

I cant seem to find any (reasonably priced) self defense 9mm ammo. I have a few boxes of range ammo but I literally have zero self defense. I just started carrying (Ruger SR9c) that I purchased through the classifieds on this site (thanks again!). Please let me know if anyone in the Lowell, MA/Nashua NH area has or know where to get any kind of self defense ammo. Thank you!

S**T its the opposite for me all there is on the shelves where I shop is defesive and +loads I bought a few boxes of Hornady critical defense a while back tested 1 box to make sure I liked how it shot and cycled and havn't shot the rest. the stuff isn't cheap so its deff not range ammo

What calibers ARE available? You have all the reason in the world to buy a new gun right now. Capitalize on that. Have a 1911 yet? If .45ACP is available, there you go. Everyone should have at least one, love them or hate them. .38 or .357 available? Time for a new short barreled wheelgun.

This glass is half full, my friend.

Call Collectable Arms and Ammo in Merrimack NH. They are off exit 12 on the Everett Turnpike... 619 Daniel Webster Highway. I was in there today and they had lots of 9mm Luger on the shelf. Some of it was self defense...I think they had two types but don't remember the type or the price...sorry! [thinking]

Last edited:
Expect to pay around $25 for a box of 20 or 25 9mm. Just buy 2 boxes from the same lot, test one box for function and fill your magazines with the other box.

If you're looking for $.40/rd Defense loads, you're pretty much dreaming.

$1-$1.25, that's going to be fairly common

I'd be curious to know what your definition is of "reasonably priced"?

I cant seem to find any (reasonably priced) self defense 9mm ammo. I have a few boxes of range ammo but I literally have zero self defense. I just started carrying (Ruger SR9c) that I purchased through the classifieds on this site (thanks again!). Please let me know if anyone in the Lowell, MA/Nashua NH area has or know where to get any kind of self defense ammo. Thank you!

I did the same getting a sr9c through the classifieds. The only thing I can find is sd ammo. Critical defence cycles well and get good reviews from what I have read or watched. It is about 25 for 20 at FS

Really? Like some have stated, I find just the opposite. Self defense rounds, not too hard, target rounds, zero to none. Even the local Walmart in Hadley has self defense rounds at "reasonable" prices.

If you're looking for $.40/rd Defense loads, you're pretty much dreaming.

$1-$1.25, that's going to be fairly common

I'd be curious to know what your definition is of "reasonably priced"?

The only way to gt close to $0.40 a round is to load your own by buying Speer Gold Dot bullets and scavenging/saving gold dot brass.

I do know of a way to get Gold dot for under $1 a round. It is the LEO boxes and yes you can buy them without being a LEO, you just need know where to find them. The site I know of may or may not sell to Mass, it does not say on their site. However I will not out them as it is against forum rules and Marsha trolls this board. So I don't want to ruin it if they do ship to Mass.

Total with shipping for 2 50 round boxes of 124gr 9mm Gold Dot is $78 (2 box limit). So $78 for 100 or $0.78 per round, still better than those little 20 round boxes for over $1 per round. If you are really desperate, PM me and I'll give you my paypal for you to drop funds into so I can buy it and we meet up in NH somewhere to do the transaction. Normally I would just order it and float the cost until we met up but I am short on cash these days so I can no longer do this, pre-pay only.

Or you can hit up Acme Armament in Londonderry, Shooters Outpost and/or Rileys in Hooksett. I guarantee you will find SD ammo at at least one of those stores. Yea it is a drive, but you're in Lowell, so it isn't that bad. There is also Collectable Arms and Ammo in Merrimack and another shop on the same road in Merrimack that I cannot remember the name of.

If you post more, become a green member, and become known to some members personally (and show you are worth trusting) you may find out the shops that still ship to mass.

I don't get people's hesitance to pay top dollar for defensive rounds. You really only need 2-3 boxes. One for test fire, 1-2 to load up mags and then they will keep for years under normal conditions. I fired off a magazine of Gold Dot that had been loaded (and carried occasionally) over 8 years ago and it worked fine.

I don't get people's hesitance to pay top dollar for defensive rounds. You really only need 2-3 boxes. One for test fire, 1-2 to load up mags and then they will keep for years under normal conditions. I fired off a magazine of Gold Dot that had been loaded (and carried occasionally) over 8 years ago and it worked fine.

You do need to be aware of bullet setback when unloading and loading the rounds. I know Gold Dot and others have crimps designed to prevent that but it is a good idea to rotate rounds and verify that no setback is occurring.

Last time I bought SD ammo I think I was still over $1 round mail order for Hornady CD... both 9mm and 45

I'm sure Acme or Collectible can help you, call ahead. If you're desperate I'm sure they'll order for you. A slightly longer ventur to KTP will probably yield some shelf love but you'll pay dearly for it.

S**T its the opposite for me all there is on the shelves where I shop is defesive and +loads I bought a few boxes of Hornady critical defense a while back tested 1 box to make sure I liked how it shot and cycled and havn't shot the rest. the stuff isn't cheap so its deff not range ammo

Exactly, I see a bunch of +P and hollow point stuff for 9mm, et. al. and even tons of .22 in HP online. I carry Gold Dot and this can be found online, but please don't ask who ships to MA. You can get 200 rounds of Gold Dot for $200, I've seen it many times.

OP, post a WTB ad in the classifieds, specifying exactly what you want and your location.

ETA: You have to be a green member in order to buy/sell via the Classifieds

Last edited:
i'll be making a trip out to MFS and Four seasons today since i'm on vaca. i'll update on aviablity

never made it out that way today. maybe i will tomorrow. I stopped at Bobs Gun in Webster and they had 30+ boxes of 9 on the shelf so i picked up a few there. 50count PMC bronze for 15$

Back
Top Bottom