can we revisit ma suppressor law

greencobra

NES Member
last week i was with a buddy and the subject of suppressors came up. he said in massachusetts, you can own a suppressor if: you live in a rural area and use a firearm to control the rodent population. ok, sounded crazy to me too, cause as far as i know, a private citizen can no way, no how, legally buy or own one in ma.

i looked at the goal reference sheet that referred me to the general massachusetts laws and that confirmed what i thought, no way, no how, etc.

my friend was adamant cause a buddy of his who "knows the gun regulations in the general laws of the state like the back of his hand" said so. ahhh...my buddys quote, not mine.

we almost came to blows over this and it's silly i know, but yes, we were having a drink or two while, shall i say, we were discussing this. i am correct, right? or is there some obscure provision written in that only these two guys know about.

Not a lawyer, but in this state, as far as I know, suppressor ownership is limited to 07 FFLs and possible some LE. The change was made in 1989 and I brought what might have been the first suppressor into Mass in 1990. Jack.

Just show them the law...end of argument

Section 10A: Selling, giving or using silencers; confiscation and destruction

Section 10A. Any person, other than a federally licensed firearms manufacturer, an authorized agent of the municipal police training committee, or a duly authorized sworn law enforcement officer while acting within the scope of official duties and under the direct authorization of the police chief or his designee, or the colonel of the state police, who sells or keeps for sale, or offers, or gives or disposes of by any means other than submitting to an authorized law enforcement agency, or uses or possesses any instrument, attachment, weapon or appliance for causing the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than five years in state prison or for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction. Nothing contained herein shall be construed to prohibit a federally licensed firearms manufacturer from selling such instrument, attachment, weapon or appliance to authorized law enforcement agencies for law enforcement purposes or to the municipal police training committee for law enforcement training. Upon conviction of a violation of this section, the instrument, attachment or other article shall be confiscated by the commonwealth and forwarded, by the authority of the written order of the court, to the colonel of the state police, who shall destroy said article.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10A

Not a lawyer, but in this state, as far as I know, suppressor ownership is limited to 07 FFLs and possible some LE.
jack, this is exactly what i took away from reading the link from the goal site.

Section 10A: Selling, giving or using silencers; confiscation and destruction

Section 10A. Any person, other than a federally licensed firearms manufacturer, an authorized agent of the municipal police training committee, or a duly authorized sworn law enforcement officer while acting within the scope of official duties and under the direct authorization of the police chief or his designee, or the colonel of the state police, who sells or keeps for sale, or offers, or gives or disposes of by any means other than submitting to an authorized law enforcement agency, or uses or possesses any instrument, attachment, weapon or appliance for causing the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than five years in state prison or for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction. Nothing contained herein shall be construed to prohibit a federally licensed firearms manufacturer from selling such instrument, attachment, weapon or appliance to authorized law enforcement agencies for law enforcement purposes or to the municipal police training committee for law enforcement training. Upon conviction of a violation of this section, the instrument, attachment or other article shall be confiscated by the commonwealth and forwarded, by the authority of the written order of the court, to the colonel of the state police, who shall destroy said article.

Last edited:
......Loser buys the next round.
oh, for sure. if fact i'm going off to practice sheltering in place this afternoon at the local...well, you know, the local sheltering in place place. i can see my buddy picking up the tab for the afternoons refreshments. a testament to his brilliance! [grin]

MGL 269 10A. Nobody but police on police business. Five year sentence

Wrong.

Nobody but Police on Police business AND FEDERALLY LICENSED FIREARMS MANUFACTURERS. That means anyone with an 07 FFL. Which is not as hard to get as you may imagine.

This is actually one of the more straightforward MA gun laws. There is no room for interpretation or "guidance" its concise and explicit.

Section 10A. Any person, other than a federally licensed firearms manufacturer, an authorized agent of the municipal police training committee, or a duly authorized sworn law enforcement officer while acting within the scope of official duties and under the direct authorization of the police chief or his designee, or the colonel of the state police, who sells or keeps for sale, or offers, or gives or disposes of by any means other than submitting to an authorized law enforcement agency, or uses or possesses any instrument, attachment, weapon or appliance for causing the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than five years

If you're into guns more than a little bit, the perks of having an FFL far outweigh the minor inconveniences. Hardest part is just having a commercial space to license your FFL at.

Is there a resource on what it takes for the 07 FFL in MA?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Find a small commercial or industrial space to rent to "keep your records" in. A 2 ft by 2 ft closet with a 5 gal. bucket in it will do. It will have to have it's own address. Send in the Form 7 with a check. Have your ATF meeting. Done. However, depending on where you are, you may get shit from the town or local PD. Jack.

When the ATF decides whether or not to issue you a FFL they really only care about 2 things.

1) Are you in compliance with all local laws including zoning laws.
2) Do you actually plan to engage in commerce in firearms.

So in reality, the only real hurdle is getting through zoning.

Psst. Heres a fact. MA is ABSOLUTELY FILLED with FFLs that you don't know exist. Some are consultants. Some are just very small dealers, and some are gun enthusiasts who ligitimeatly engage in commerce in firearms so that they can also have things that others can't have.

There are roughly 585 (real) FFL holders in MA. (03s don't count)

Of those about 385 are 01 (Dealer) FFLs and 156 are 07 (Manufacturer) FFLs.

Amazing Huh? Especially considering that there are only probably 30 or 40 gun shops in the state.

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom