Can I shoot an arrow to get my drone out of a tree?

Thank you! If I go this route, I will most likely crimp a fishing weight onto some fishing line to keep it from over traveliing and so I can pull on a branch. I havent played with slingshots since I was a kid. Do you think It can reach that height?
I use a 1oz fishing weight and can easily get it over a 60' tree. One key trick is to let out at 6 or 8 feet before shooting so it doesn't have to play out of the reel until it's a bit away from the reel. And, be sure that 6 or 8 feet doesn't catch on anything. I've had several weights brake the string and sail off into oblivion[laugh] I've learned to paint the weights day-glow orange so I have a chance of finding them.[rofl]

The last NES Drone Retrieval Team resulted in a recommendation to troll Craigslist for "man with a truck" type services - Bucket/boom quickie, 15 minutes, $50 is how (I think) it ended.
Many of the guys you see working for Comcast (and probably others) are independent contractors which gives them the freedom do do a job for ca$h.

Amazon doesn't need to worry about it, because MA can't regulate what people outside of the state sell and ship to people within the state (except liquor). The AG can bark, but can't legally bite.
Oh yes the AG can. Once the AG files, the target will either hire an attorney to respond, or wait for a default judgement that will be enforced under the full faith and credit clause of the constitution.

I remember an article about two pellet/airgun vendors being subject to a $70000 default judgement.

Some knife vendors have paid $5000 to settle an AG claim.

Are you so sure the AG won't bite that you would offer the vendor an unconditional indemnification for any legal fees they incur as a result of you buying from them, or is your position "there is no risk, but you and not I must take that non-risk".

c. 269 s. 12 prohibits making, causing the making, selling, or exposing for sale of the enumerated devices (with an exception for making and selling slingshots to clubs or associations for use in sporting events.) Is it your intent to suggest that buy possessing a slingshot, or perhaps purchasing one, or importing one that they would be guilty under a third party liability doctrine?

c. 269 s. 10 regulates carrying (or possessing, depending on the weapon) various weapons.

[I do not intend for this post to be construed as recommending or supporting any particular course of action, nor do I intend it to be considered advice, especially legal advice]

I think the use of it in a public place may be illegal. They do consider it a "dangerous weapon".
But what the hell do I know, the laws in this state are written so poorly. Now another question, is a wrist rocket considered the same thing as a sling shot?

But I think you may be able to get away with one of these? http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Original-SlingKing-Water-Balloon-Launcher&i=90175&r=view&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&s_kwcid=googlepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3930313735&gclid=Cj0KEQjwiKS3BRCU-7XQ75Te3NoBEiQAA2t_xJN0k6XEXO0fG9Fu_Yijm30v1p3SiU6G4NuVCVJjWOsaArau8P8HAQ

I think the use of it in a public place may be illegal. They do consider it a "dangerous weapon".
But what the hell do I know, the laws in this state are written so poorly. Now another question, is a wrist rocket considered the same thing as a sling shot?

But I think you may be able to get away with one of these? http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...O0fG9Fu_Yijm30v1p3SiU6G4NuVCVJjWOsaArau8P8HAQ

The point of my post wasn't to suggest that it wasn't impossible for somebody to be charged, or convicted, for carrying a slingshot in public; especially if they were involved in a breach/disturbance of the peace situation. [Incidentally, 3 men were recently arrested at Forest Park in Springfield for Armed Breach of Peace, among other charges, for unlawfully hunting with a slingshot. Ironically they were not charged with carrying dangerous weapons]

My intention was to draw attention the section that you referenced as prohibiting possession.

Yeah, but if you get jammed up for trying to slingshot a line over a tree in your own backyard, you've done something wrong. Or Americans in general have done something wrong. Not sure which.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tie weight to light-weight string. Throw weight. Catch branch with string. Shake branch.

Weight could be anything... A nut

Just ordered a slingshot and it should be here Friday. I'll give it a try when few people are around. The slingshot part should be the easy part. It either shoots that high or doesn't.

If it doesn't work, I might be posting for someone who has tree sticks and isn't scared of climbing a tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we really arguing whether or not someone should use a slingshot in their own back yard?

no...it's stuck in a tree in a public park

You can't throw a ball 50 feet. .... to quote

You play ball like a GIRLLLL

^^^this...i mean come on...this isn't rocket science...throw a line up there and shake it down...seems pretty simple, cheap and easy to me...maybe OP was just looking for a reason to get a tactical slingshot

You can't throw a ball 50 feet. .... to quote

You play ball like a GIRLLLL

no...it's stuck in a tree in a public park

^^^this...i mean come on...this isn't rocket science...throw a line up there and shake it down...seems pretty simple, cheap and easy to me...maybe OP was just looking for a reason to get a tactical slingshot

Yes, most guys can throw 50 feet without trouble but I did something to my shoulder a couple of years ago and now I can't throw worth a crap so maybe the OP is in the same boat. Besides, who doesn't want a tactical slingshot?!

Yes, most guys can throw 50 feet without trouble but I did something to my shoulder a couple of years ago and now I can't throw worth a crap so maybe the OP is in the same boat. Besides, who doesn't want a tactical slingshot?!

that makes perfect sense but OP didn't say he had a shoulder issue...but if he breaks his drone further by hitting it with something heavy with enough force to knock it out of a tree or injures a person/animal/property in the park or gets hassled by the cops, wouldn't you think it would be easier and faster to just have someone just make the throw?...but i agree a tactical slingshot is cool...OP please dress up like a ninja and video the whole thing when you do this...anyone want to take bets on how many shots it takes till he gets it down?...if he gets it down

slingshot with a 2 oz lead weight and some monofilament would wok fine. In some cases, a lead weight and a fishing rod would work too.

There's a big difference between throwing a ball 50 feet and throwing the ball 50 feet straight up too...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

There's a big difference between throwing a ball 50 feet and throwing the ball 50 feet straight up too...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

there is a difference but 50' straight up still isn't far even throwing vertically...i just did it last weekend to tie off a 70' oak tree i cut down in my yard...kong toy plus throw line plus 1 throw, done...this whole thing really depends what the tree looks like and how many branches he has to work around...a throw line may not be the best option but OP hasn't shown us a picture of the tree so no one really knows

Back
Top Bottom