Can I build an AR for less than buying a S&W M&P 15 Sport?

This. Hard to know what you want/like without a baSeline.

Once you know we what you want, sell the Sport for $499. Or keep it.

Yes and no, he could develop a baseline, or he'll make a thread in 3 months asking about $500 AK's, because he's going to go to the range with his buddies and his AR is gonna crap out and make him feel bad. Then some rangeretard is going to explain to him that AR15s are unreliable junk and he needs a mans gun that is incapable of failure like an AK or SKS.

I have Yet to have an issue with PSA stuff.this was 550 finished.View attachment 127629
complete PSA upper with 1/7 Chrome Lined.
I shot it against my complete spikes and was almost dead even at half the cost. ..this one is also dead accurate-->

Last edited:
Yes and no, he could develop a baseline, or he'll make a thread in 3 months asking about $500 AK's, because he's going to go to the range with his buddies and his AR is gonna crap out and make him feel bad. Then some rangeretard is going to explain to him that AR15s are unreliable junk and he needs a mans gun that is incapable of failure like an AK or SKS.
[troll]

I have Yet to have an issue with PSA stuff.this was 550 finished.View attachment 127629
complete PSA upper with 1/7 Chrome Lined.
I shot it against my complete spikes and was almost dead even at half the cost. ..this one is also dead accurate-->

Right there with ya. As long as you know what to look for and stay away from their PTAC line, probably some of the best bang for your buck parts.

Dont forget buddy, Smith and Wesson makes firearms with a life time warranty. Your mutt rifle you build may be great but eventually parts will fail and need to be replaced. Obviously the M&P will also fail eventually somehow but you never have to pay to replace anything (besides shipping which they may reimburse)! Im asking myself the same question right now and i think im honestly going to buy the M&P or an AK.

Go buy the M&P AR 15 Sport. It's fun and made by a good company located in MA. Pay no more than $650 sticker price brand new with sight and muzzle break and you will be completely happy. You could be shooting by tomorrow afternoon. If you want to try to be Tacticool / Operator guy at the range you can always add to it.
I have the M&P Sport, I am not a Tacticool shooter just tin cans, metal targets etc. Even with my 68 yr old eyes this rifle is right on. I shoot nothing but cheapo steel ammo (approx. 2,000 rds) and have yet to have an FTF or any other problem. It just goes bang every time you pull the trigger. I bought it new for $600, IMO I got the best bang for my buck.

I have the M&P Sport, I am not a Tacticool shooter just tin cans, metal targets etc. Even with my 68 yr old eyes this rifle is right on. I shoot nothing but cheapo steel ammo (approx. 2,000 rds) and have yet to have an FTF or any other problem. It just goes bang every time you pull the trigger. I bought it new for $600, IMO I got the best bang for my buck.

I agree completely.

Last edited:
Dont forget buddy, Smith and Wesson makes firearms with a life time warranty. Your mutt rifle you build may be great but eventually parts will fail and need to be replaced. Obviously the M&P will also fail eventually somehow but you never have to pay to replace anything (besides shipping which they may reimburse)! Im asking myself the same question right now and i think im honestly going to buy the M&P or an AK.
Love my fireball, loud M&P Sport.

I have intentions to buy/ build another AR someday. The M&P fits my mould as a pinker and fun to shoot for the meantime.

Overall the M&P is a solid AR for the $!

Actually I'm applying for my C&R specifically so I can get an SKS!

Probably, and it will most likely be better quality if you dont totally cheap out, which is also good.

Edit: I just saw a sale in the classifieds for m&p sport for $550, I thought they were about a grand.

I was about to tell you how wrong you were, then saw your edit.

You can certainly build something using a crap quality kit that includes everything except the lower.

But if you try to put something together with decent quality stuff, you will most definitely spend more.

And you wouldn't have a LIFETIME service policy from S&W that includes free shipping both to and from S&W to get the repairs done.

In my humble opinion the M&P Sport is the perfect first AR.

4 seasons regular price on them is $599 or less.

Georgia Gun store has it here for $539. Thats about $10 less then wholesale in quantities of 1 from any national distributor.

Don

http://shop.georgiagunstore.com/index.php?crn=610&rn=13465&action=show_detail

OP, what is it that you want? Do you want a rifle that you will just plink with at the range (not that there's anything wrong with that), or do you want a rifle that you can trust your life to ('cuz zombies)? If the former, pretty much anything out there will serve. If the latter, don't skimp by buying the most skinflint parts out there. The BCG is the most important part, and it pays to know that it's from a reputable mfg. Next would be the barrel.

OP, what is it that you want? Do you want a rifle that you will just plink with at the range (not that there's anything wrong with that), or do you want a rifle that you can trust your life to ('cuz zombies)? If the former, pretty much anything out there will serve. If the latter, don't skimp by buying the most skinflint parts out there. The BCG is the most important part, and it pays to know that it's from a reputable mfg. Next would be the barrel.

And a $550 Sport is as reliable as anything out there. Just my .02

I think one of the key things here is taht the OP doesn't know yet what he wants or likes.

I made a mistake when I bought my first "new style" AR. Prior to it, all I'd ever known was A2s. I had an A2 HBar from colt and a Bushmaster CMP gun.

My mistake was a LMT MRP.

The things I learned from that mistake:
1) I hate quad rails.
2) In shooting the CMP gun, I'd become a trigger snob
3) While taking my first carbine course, I learned that I really wanted an ambi selector
4) I learned that I like my rifles to be more accurate rather than mil spec. (stainless vs chrome lined)
5) I like my rifles to be light for a given accuracy - no M204 cuts or other things that hurt accuracy.
6) I don't really care if the stock telescopes, so why put in a crappy pinned stock. I became a fan of the Vltor rifle modstock.
7) Red dots are nice and all, but I'll take a 1-4 scope any day. Just as fast, and more accurate at distance. I also really like shooting iron sights.

Here is a pic of my "mistake" rifle. What I had figured out at this point was the sight, the ergo grip and the ambi selector. I first got it in 2005 or 2006. I'd guess this pic is from later because I've settled on the items mentioned above that I like. I was still holding my head erect on the stock, like I was shooting a target gun, which you can see by the rearward location of the scope.

The only reason I didn't get hurt with this "mistake" is that I sold it in 2008 after BHO was elected president and LMT was backordered a year.

I only sold the upper, as the lower was a pre-ban SBR. So it morphed into something else.

This was the next iteration:

Then this:

Reconfigured for a carbine class. I finally found a comfortable telescoping stock and the aimpoint went back on since we weren't going to be shooting past 25 yards. For speed, I took off the can and put on a good performing POF brake I had on hand.

Then I decided to start from scratch. And ended up with this. Its definitely NOT mil spec. But it shoots like a dream and weighs 5 lbs.

I fully acknowledge that it looks like an abortion. but it has everything I want.
geissele trigger, ambi selector, ambi mag release, light weight, accurate (lothar walther bbl), and light shooting.
By the time I built this, I'd really grown to appreciate a low mass operating system with an adjustable gas block.
This makes for a better shooting gun, but one that is less tolerant of dirt and scuzz. Since this is a toy. Reliability was sacrificed for speed and accuracy.

This is truly an extraordinary rifle. It weighs 6.2 lbs with optic, shoots 1 moa until the bbl heats up, shoots fast, handles great, and didn't require a tax stamp, But it is UGGGGGGLLLYYYY. Oh well.

Back to the original topic. Start with the Sport, then let your imagination take you where you want. My guess is that 20 years from now, you will still have the M&P. I still have my Colt AR15A2 HBar and my CMP Bushmaster.

Don

Last edited:
Don't ask me. I've got a G-note into each of my uppers alone... I've never been interested in building on the cheap. I buy once and cry once. Lessons learned the hard way in life by cheaping out and then eventually getting what I should have gotten to begin with.

Don't ask me. I've got a G-note into each of my uppers alone... I've never been interested in building on the cheap. I buy once and cry once. Lessons learned the hard way in life by cheaping out and then eventually getting what I should have gotten to begin with.

Speaking of $1000 uppers, I occasionally see a 50% off sale on a LWRC piston upper, is this a good deal at $900?

http://www.slickguns.com/product/lwrc-m6a2-556-nato-16-barrel-complete-upper-sights-99999

Not that it matters, since CDNN wont' ship an upper to Mass for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom