Can I build an AR for less than buying a S&W M&P 15 Sport?

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
Like the title says...Including buying the most basic tools needed and borrowing the more advanced if needed.
Also is it worth it, other than satisfaction and experience(and for me, that makes it worth it) if I'm only PLANNING on having one...

Probably, and it will most likely be better quality if you dont totally cheap out, which is also good.

Edit: I just saw a sale in the classifieds for m&p sport for $550, I thought they were about a grand.

Last edited:
Depends on how much you could buy the M&P sport for. I believe the ad I passed on the way in says $550.
Can it be done, certainly. I have a mut of an AR with parts from PSA, DSArms, and one or two other that came in around $600 and is probably much better quality than the M&P (CHF barrel, FA BCG properly staked, HTP,MPI..etc.)
Take a look at PSA's rifle kits, some really good deals going on. And there's plenty of $50 lowers around to finish it off...

It's possible if you search for deals, but watch out for shipping costs if you buy lots of parts from lots of places. It adds up.

If you hunt and peck for the best deals on all the parts, you can probably get it to like $500 or $550, but it's going to be close. the 15 Sport is a great platform to build from.

I wasn't crazy about the mp sport when I shot it. Vote for building one. I've built 2 and don't regret it.

Depends on how much you could buy the M&P sport for. I believe the ad I passed on the way in says $550.
Can it be done, certainly. I have a mut of an AR with parts from PSA, DSArms, and one or two other that came in around $600 and is probably much better quality than the M&P (CHF barrel, FA BCG properly staked, HTP,MPI..etc.)
Take a look at PSA's rifle kits, some really good deals going on. And there's plenty of $50 lowers around to finish it off...
Agree with Mr.E...

You can put together your own AR with quality parts for the same or less than the cost of new and you will have a rifle that shoots just as well and probably better than brand name. This ranges from a fun plinker to a high-end rig.

The advantage of a brand name AR is going to be in resale. Put a M&P and an identical homebuilt up for sale and the M&P will likely sell faster and bring in a better price. Generally speaking, you will be able to get more selling a complete branded rifle than one that's been cobbled together from different sources.

Agree with Mr.E...

You can put together your own AR with quality parts for the same or less than the cost of new and you will have a rifle that shoots just as well and probably better than brand name. This ranges from a fun plinker to a high-end rig.

The advantage of a brand name AR is going to be in resale. Put a M&P and an identical homebuilt up for sale and the M&P will likely sell faster and bring in a better price. Generally speaking, you will be able to get more selling a complete branded rifle than one that's been cobbled together from different sources.

People just use 'custom' in their for sale ad to try and get more! Haha

Unless that M&P is configured EXACTLY the way you want it and you wouldn't want to change a thing, then the answer is probably yes, assembling your own could be done cheaper. As soon as you start updating/changing it up by replacing parts, any savings from buying the M&P will go right out the window.

Unless that M&P is configured EXACTLY the way you want it and you wouldn't want to change a thing, then the answer is probably yes, assembling your own could be done cheaper. As soon as you start updating/changing it up by replacing parts, any savings from buying the M&P will go right out the window.

That's part of my problem. I don't know what I want. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably can't build one from new parts for less than $500ish, but you can choose how you want to build it. If you simply buy a complete upper and a complete lower then assembly is easier than cleaning your gun. The complete packages also seem to be a bit cheaper than individually selecting every part. Be careful though, shipping from multiple vendors and getting trick parts for each piece can start adding up. I'd do some virtual builds first making sure to add in all the parts and shipping before deciding. It gets really tempting to start adding parts and pretty soon you spent $5 extra here, $20 extra there and you total it all up you're at over $1000. That $1000 will be closer to a $1500-$2500 gun though. Not so sure the $500-$600 built one will be much better than a $600 complete gun.

I think the AR15 is actually one of the only guns you can piece together for less or close to a complete gun. I was looking at building a custom 10/22 and it's pretty much cheaper to buy the gun for the basic hardware and receiver even if you plan to replace 75% of the gun with aftermarket pieces!

i thought i could build one cheaper, but now i'm starting to doubt it. two lowers built and ready to go, 1 ati omni poymer for a .22 , and an anderson for the 5.56. from the pricing i see on the m & p sport i wish i had just saved up and bought one. plus you get the s & w warranty.

try dealing with individual mfgs. warranty, a lot more issues. who did i buy this part from? etc.

it was nice to easily complete the lowers, satisfaction of a job well done sort of stuff. ymmv, think it all through. it's all good to have this kind of dilemma though, residents of england, australia, and numerous other countries don't have this problem[laugh2]

edit: added cost of an upper from psa or others is to have the flash hider/brake pinned and welded

Last edited:
Go buy the M&P AR 15 Sport. It's fun and made by a good company located in MA. Pay no more than $650 sticker price brand new with sight and muzzle break and you will be completely happy. You could be shooting by tomorrow afternoon. If you want to try to be Tacticool / Operator guy at the range you can always add to it.

Last edited:
Don't buy a sport. You'll wish you had something better after your first trip to the range. Do the build and buy the parts you actually want instead of settling. Yeah you'll spend a couple hundred more, but you'll be happy, feel accomplished and understand all the inner workings of your rifle.

PS. Im doing an SBR build right now and Ive dropped about $500+ on the lower and lower parts, but I love every single part. If you buy the sport, you'll end up replacing half the stuff on it within a year.

JMO, do what you feel is right.

People just use 'custom' in their for sale ad to try and get more! Haha
The mistake you already made was telling us you wanted to build a pot metal rifle as cheap as possible, now you can't put it up for sale and ask north of a grand, at least here anyway. [laugh]

Don't buy a sport. You'll wish you had something better after your first trip to the range. Do the build and buy the parts you actually want instead of settling. Yeah you'll spend a couple hundred more, but you'll be happy, feel accomplished and understand all the inner workings of your rifle.

PS. Im doing an SBR build right now and Ive dropped about $500+ on the lower and lower parts, but I love every single part. If you buy the sport, you'll end up replacing half the stuff on it within a year.

So what happened at the range with yours to bring you to that opinion?

Not mine. But everyone I know that bought one wishes they had bought or built something better. Again, this is only my/their opinion. Your experience might be different based on how you use your rifles and how often.

I subscribe. If you want something actually high quality dont buy or build a $500 ar15. Take your time, buy quality parts and assemble it over time, you dont have to buy super high end parts, just better quality than S&W and el cheapo bargain basement junk.

If you buy a sport and really get into the ar thing, you'll either sell it, or replace every single part on it over time. Ask me how I know...

At the Marlborough gun show there was a complete lower for $150. There were numerous others for around $200. You can probably find a complete upper for $250 or $300 fairly easily.

I subscribe. If you want something actually high quality dont buy or build a $500 ar15. Take your time, buy quality parts and assemble it over time, you dont have to buy super high end parts, just better quality than S&W and el cheapo bargain basement junk.

If you buy a sport and really get into the ar thing, you'll either sell it, or replace every single part on it over time. Ask me how I know...

As such, avoid PSA. You are probably looking at $6-750 for a decent AR depending on the hand guard.

Anderson lowers are $40 plus transfer fee at a number of online retailers.

Avoid PSA crap. Save up an extra $200 and build a good middle of the road AR.

If you want a cheap $600 beater AR then buy the S&W with a warranty.

Funny thing is for not a heck of a lot more your can build a really good AR, sure if you hunt high and low and get in on deals you can build a 500$ AR ?
I think your hard pressed to really build a "better" AR for 500$ than what you can buy a AR for 500-600$ ?

As for tools- only real special tool you need is a barrel nut tool, upper receiver vise block does help.
To date my not planned budget build is as follows
Anderson lower- 57$ shipped and transfered
Complete A2 stock kit stock,tube,buffer,spring 40$ shipped used
Lower parts kit from past group buy 45$
Stripped upper receiver 40$
scavenged upper parts 12$ CH,FA parts and dust cover
inexpensive houge free float tube----on sale free shipping 60$ 13" long
Barrel-- i have a deep discounted Wilson arms match barrel 230$---with gas block and gas tube
BCG--- took a chance on this one and bought from a club member looks unused he says 50 rounds on it. 75$= 520$ still need sights I will most likely run optics on it.
This took me about 10 months to put together just jumping on deals....like the parts for the upper receiver----just stumbled across those from someone getting out of ARs and selling off the remaining parts he had.

AS NOTED WATCH SHIPPING CHARGES AND SMALL ORDER PROCESSING FEES..... Sucks when you order a 8$ part get charged a minimum 12.95 shipping !
A buddy of mine built a AR10 and did it in bits and pieces here and there and did no consider shipping cost until half way through he reliazed he already spent over 100$ in shipping!

Last edited:
Somebody needs to post a link to the cheese thread
That's a classic. [rofl]Here you go http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...3-Do-I-need-the-best-AR?highlight=Paul+cheese

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by PaulRI'm having difficulty keeping up now, this thread is packed with so much information. (credits to everyone here, posters previous and post, thank you for playing)

Imported Aged Gruyere: Knights Armament, LWRC

Cabot Private Reserve: Colt, H&K, BCM, LMT, Larue, Noveske

Market Basket Mild: S&W, Windham, Rock River, Daniel Defense

Velveeta: Rock River, Bushmaster, Stag

Bagged Powder Cheese: JP, DPMS

Spray Can imitation: Olympic, Armalite

Stag went up after comments, DPMS took a big fall. I'm sure I messed up a few and missed a few so there will be more edits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom