CA: Freeway Pursuit Ends in Youth's Death as LAPD fires 90 shots

The hits keep coming.
---

The family of Abdul Arian remembered the 19-year-old young man who was fatally shot by Los Angeles police officers after a high-speed chase Thursday morning for his desire to become a police officer.

"He wanted to be an LAPD cop," said Hamed Arian, the youth's uncle, "and the LAPD killed him."

But as details of Arian's life emerge, the picture of his ambitions becomes more complicated. A police narrative of the shooting on the 101 Freeway in Woodland Hills suggests a troubled end for the young man who placed a 911 call during the pursuit and told authorities he was armed with a gun.

Link

90 shots ???? how many hit him 1 ???

Quite a few probably. The problem with this is cops tend or are trained to (I don't know which) bunch up and they all assume the same posture with a presumably armed suspect. There is no shared or assumed leadership (by rank/position in relation the suspect, etc) or procedure that says the x number closest take primary control and all others hold back and provide support. They all open fire when one does. Any one of them opens fire by accident and they all will which is doubly dangerous and likely the cause of a number of group massacres that have occurred in the past. Police training seems highly deficient in some areas, this being one of them.

dhuze, you are also invited. I am open to suggestions. I am by no means the best or greatest...please take me up on my offer.

dhuze, you are also invited. I am open to suggestions. I am by no means the best or greatest...please take me up on my offer.

jigganuts I am not saying no cop can shoot and I'm not calling you out. I am saying that my experience with many is they can not. They are all taught the basics, but very few actually practice. Our qualification is having to hit an Army L target 5 times with 5 shots at 35 feet. It's not that difficult, but without practice you aren't hitting the target and if your job and life depends on it you would think they'd get out once in a while to practice.

Was he dressed up like a dog?

This is what the problem is - don't do this.

whats-up-dog-costume.jpg

One of the guys on my job who is 2nd gneration cop told me a story about his dad, a Korean War vet, who started as a cop back in the 50's.

His dad and his dad's partner get into a car chase that led them through numerous back roads of SE Mass. Along the way, they with their S&W Model 10's discharged quite a few rounds at the moving vehicle. After a while, they lost the car and went back to the station.

The next day, they get called up to the Chief's office to explain themselves. Chief: "Were you guys shooting at that car?" "Yeah, we were...sorry 'bout that." As they braced for an ass reaming by the Chief, he pulled out a box of ammo from the desk drawer: "The State Police found the car and there wasn't one hole in it. Get your ass to the range and go practice!!"

If I was given free ammo to practice with I'd shoot everyday.

That makes two of us. Unfortunately, once a year I only get my carry load to the round (not even the remainder of the box) and have to buy my own ammo and use my own gun club membership if I want to practice. Not a complaint, but not all PD's just pass out free ammo to go practice with.

The biggest reason cops don't shoot better is money. It costs a PD thousands to cycle everyone through the range in ammo and depending on what facilities they have available, and that's without any overtime or salary.

Bottom line is police don't shoot often enough. When i was drilling in the Army Reserve, I qualled twice a year. At the PD I qual once a year. God knows, I don't go to war everyday.

Hey, as long as they go home at the end of the shift, it's all good.

I agree. I'd rather see a bad guy with 90 bullet holes in him than have the bad guy get one in on the police. In fact, in the best case scenario, the LAPD would've pumped 90 bullets into him and then hoisted his hole-filled corpse up a flagpole or onto the side of a bridge so it would serve to remind other dumbasses to not go after the police.

May this be a lesson. . .

I agree. I'd rather see a bad guy with 90 bullet holes in him than have the bad guy get one in on the police. In fact, in the best case scenario, the LAPD would've pumped 90 bullets into him and then hoisted his hole-filled corpse up a flagpole or onto the side of a bridge so it would serve to remind other dumbasses to not go after the police.

May this be a lesson. . .

xray.jpg

30 in the head and 60 in the chest?

of course, knowning LAPD's handgun skills, it's probably a significantly smaller number of holes in the guy.

jigganuts I am not saying no cop can shoot and I'm not calling you out. I am saying that my experience with many is they can not. They are all taught the basics, but very few actually practice. Our qualification is having to hit an Army L target 5 times with 5 shots at 35 feet. It's not that difficult, but without practice you aren't hitting the target and if your job and life depends on it you would think they'd get out once in a while to practice.
dhuze, there are some very experienced and knowledgeable shooters on this site. I was just looking for a little guidance or some shooting tips. I train about twice a month but sometimes things get a bit monotonous.

Back
Top Bottom