Buying Land for a Private Range, NH

Looking for input on buying a plot to use as a private range.

I live in Rindge, NH. For years I shot at CCF&G in Keene (30 minutes away) and then after that had access to a private range in Rindge. Now I no longer have the private range and CCF&G (now CCSSEF) has much more strict rules and is becoming fuddy. I need somewhere outdoor to shoot safety but freely without RSOs looking over my shoulder or other members using a particular range.

I'm seriously considering buying a plot of land that isn't zoned for habitable structures. I'm realizing when they're only useable for recreation they can be found for around $10-25k which I could do with financing. Does anyone have experience doing this kind of thing for the purpose of shooting? What do you look for and what do you check to help ensure you're not going to get hassled for the noise? I know the shooting laws (300ft from a habitable structure, no shooting over roads, etc.) which are super easy to operate within. I'm thinking about this from a practical standpoint.

just for the sake of an argument...you really gonna use it enough to justify a 25k payout?

Yeah, I would try a little harder to find a spot locally to do your shooting, unless you are looking to build on it in the future for like a retirement home.

I'm realizing when they're only useable for recreation they can be found for around $10-25k which I could do with financing.

If you're talking about a traditional mortgage, you're not going to get one for an empty plot of unbuildable land. You would have to take out something like a personal loan at high interest rates. Also you still have to pay taxes, and somehow prevent others from using your range when you are not there and destroying/stealing your range targets. If you put up a fence or post "no trespassing" your tax rates typically triple in NH (no longer in common use).

25K plus land clearing costs buys an awful lot of club membership and if stuff doesn't work out at that club you can move along on your terms.

Now as mentioned if its also a hunting plot that's a whole new conversation.

I don’t have advice for you but I have been thinking about similar ideas. I am really curious how you go about finding a shooting friendly place and parcel. Do you disclose that right up front with the real estate agent? Or are you on your own research wise. You don’t want to dump money and then be harassed right off the bat.

I'm not trying to be funny or sarc but i was looking at land in NH, and i found 70 acres that abuts CCSSEF for 79,900,,, I'm just letting you know, not trying to be a smartazz. Paul

If you have the means then I assure you that you will not regret buying land for a range. I own a farm in Western PA and I built a 600 yard range and multiple COF for IDPA and 3-gun practice. Its honestly so much fun, my only regret is I wish I had more time to spend out there. Its become a regular meetup of old friends, college buddies and the fam of course. To be able to shoot at your will then sit around a fire and drink beers and bullshit is good times. Maybe fire a few tracer rounds into he night, maybe. Do it!

If you have the means then I assure you that you will not regret buying land for a range. I own a farm in Western PA and I built a 600 yard range and multiple COF for IDPA and 3-gun practice. Its honestly so much fun, my only regret is I wish I had more time to spend out there. Its become a regular meetup of old friends, college buddies and the fam of course. To be able to shoot at your will then sit around a fire and drink beers and bullshit is good times. Maybe fire a few tracer rounds into he night, maybe. Do it!

Yep this is what I have in mind. Could use it for camping and even finally get into hunting (have a license and never been). I see everyone's point with $20k being a lot for a shooting range, but when I'm not finding established ranges that meet my needs what choice do I have. I don't sit at a bench and take a shot everyone few minutes. I do defensive shooting which is 270 degrees and there's no "firing line". Most clubs don't like that unless they have a pit set up for it. CCSSEF did and now they're making it difficult for normal members to use. I want a plot where I can drive in and then do whatever I want, from dynamic shooting, to camping and hunting, and even some night-time training which I've never been able to do. For me it's all about monthly cost (not the total amount) and whether I'll be hassled for shooting on my land.

I am really curious how you go about finding a shooting friendly place and parcel. Do you disclose that right up front with the real estate agent? Or are you on your own research wise.
I'd explain the specific needs to a realtor, particular as it relates to terrain and abutters. When I moved out here, I explained to my agent some of my specific criteria (acreage, travel time, total abhorrence of HOAs) and it saved us both from wasting time.

I'd look for lots which abuts conservation plots or at least conservation easements.

whether I'll be hassled for shooting on my land.
Under current state law (or even the proposed changes in the latest house bills) your biggest concerns would be noise and ensuring you can construct berms sufficient to contain all projectiles.

Maybe you want to look to move to a large parcel of land with a house already one it. My two NH sons are not wealthy, but each managed to find homes on 13 acres next to vast undeveloped land. They both have their own ranges and can hunt from the house. One is in Mason and the other in Fitzwilliam. If I had any brains at all, I would have done the same thing 20 years ago. Jack.

With a large enough lot standing timber can be thinned for profit, for better access and planting good plots to attract game. Ideally located at a low point and/or surrounded by hills to deflect/absorb noise. Careful placement of firing lanes during thinning is possible with planning by a good surveying company. This is not something you'd want to "eyeball" from ground level.
financing will be tricky. One option is via a trust using the timber sales as income for the trust. This also opens up the possibility for additional trustees as timber sales alone might not be sufficient for development.

Good luck.

Maybe you want to look to move to a large parcel of land with a house already one it. My two NH sons are not wealthy, but each managed to find homes on 13 acres next to vast undeveloped land. They both have their own ranges and can hunt from the house. One is in Mason and the other in Fitzwilliam. If I had any brains at all, I would have done the same thing 20 years ago. Jack.

Trust me that's the eventual hope. We rent now and are saving toward building in 2-3 years, allowing us to be more picky about the land.

If you're talking about a traditional mortgage, you're not going to get one for an empty plot of unbuildable land. You would have to take out something like a personal loan at high interest rates. Also you still have to pay taxes, and somehow prevent others from using your range when you are not there and destroying/stealing your range targets. If you put up a fence or post "no trespassing" your tax rates typically triple in NH (no longer in common use).

it’s called “current use” and putting up signs or a fence would not affect the tax value. If a property over 10 acres is already in current use you would have to apply to have it or a section of it taken out of current use, and the tax on that portion would go up as it would now be zoned to whatever you requested it (if approved). You can still clear tree’s, build a shooting range, hunt or go 4 wheeling on land that’s in current use.

I’ve seen 30+ acre lots in current use with a tax bill of like $200.

Yep this is what I have in mind. Could use it for camping and even finally get into hunting (have a license and never been). I see everyone's point with $20k being a lot for a shooting range, but when I'm not finding established ranges that meet my needs what choice do I have. I don't sit at a bench and take a shot everyone few minutes. I do defensive shooting which is 270 degrees and there's no "firing line". Most clubs don't like that unless they have a pit set up for it. CCSSEF did and now they're making it difficult for normal members to use. I want a plot where I can drive in and then do whatever I want, from dynamic shooting, to camping and hunting, and even some night-time training which I've never been able to do. For me it's all about monthly cost (not the total amount) and whether I'll be hassled for shooting on my land.

I don't have any neighbors close but there isn't much they can do, we don't even have local sound ordinances in the township. We shoot everything suppressed mostly except when doing drills on the COFs. I'm lucky because its a big parcel of land half fields and half hardwood and its across from 10,000 acres of state game lands. I lease the land to a local farmer and my best friend from high school so he watches over it very closely. He alternates between grass and corn so I get awesome feed lots for deer and really good chuck hunting. I built a very nice hooch for myself, like a small cabin almost on flat rack. I had the amish build 5 smaller hooches that I put out and keep firing lines open. Its like paradise man, I have a friend who comes from Texas each year for deer season and a few locals I let hunt my land. If you want what you described doing it yourself is the only way.

Last edited:
Now as mentioned if its also a hunting plot that's a whole new conversation.
of course. 4 guys i know did this together on hunting property in maine in the mid 70's. a serious bit of acreage. the original group are all dead but the property is still in the 4 families. i know when they started out there was 1 cabin. then they each put up their own place in close proximity to the others and the original building was used as a common...we'll call it a lodge. but they did have a silly amount of land but it wasn't cheap.
Its become a regular meetup of old friends, college buddies and the fam of course. To be able to shoot at your will then sit around a fire and drink beers and bullshit is good times.
seriously, putting up the funding for this alone i'd get disgruntled fast if everyone sponged off of me and used it as a hang out. my opinion only but can't say i wouldn't let one or 2 close friends into the fold.

I mentioned this before in a similar thread. Get 25 guys at $1K each. Now you have a low cost range for the price of whatever your taxes are per year. If someone wants to do this, I'm in.

I mentioned this before in a similar thread. Get 25 guys at $1K each. Now you have a low cost range for the price of whatever your taxes are per year. If someone wants to do this, I'm in.

This was attempted several times on NES in one form or another, it failed every time because everyone wanted to run things their way or wanted to buy in "when I retire." I was lucky enough to have an old buddy (who was not on here) from my Navy days reach out to me. That's how I got my camp. We all served together and knew each other. 25? Herding cats comes to mind.

From all the B.S. I saw from those attempts, I wouldn't touch it with an eleven foot pole. Good luck and best wishes.

Easily in..
But, want the ability to ride my dirt bike too😃

it’s called “current use” and putting up signs or a fence would not affect the tax value. If a property over 10 acres is already in current use you would have to apply to have it or a section of it taken out of current use, and the tax on that portion would go up as it would now be zoned to whatever you requested it (if approved). You can still clear tree’s, build a shooting range, hunt or go 4 wheeling on land that’s in current use.

Current use is a wonderful thing. A buddie of mine has a large plot of land and the taxes work out to be about $1.00 per acre.

If you do, have a plan for lead mitigation & abatement...

seriously, putting up the funding for this alone i'd get disgruntled fast if everyone sponged off of me and used it as a hang out. my opinion only but can't say i wouldn't let one or 2 close friends into the fold.

I understand but for me it’s not like that. They are my bro’s really, we are all in our 40s and it’s good fun. I never pay for the beer or my dinner at the local bar. They don’t let a flake of snow hit my moms driveway and there are two friends there plowing it for her. I’ve never felt like anyone has taken advantage of me.

Where do you want to buy?

I have a 5 acre camp site with stunning view on ATV and snowmobile trails in northern NH. Land is sloped and would make a nice range, no one around to care. Craploads of deer and moose.

Land owners who have property in 'current use' have lower tax bills only because some of the burden has been taken off the 'owner' and transferred to everyone else in the city/town/village/ district/plantation or unorganized area-did I miss any?

Those parcels which can be purchased and owned in the manner that most consider what land ownership traditionally has meant command a premium over already very very high prices- we are going to wait until after the election and make the decision.

Yep, current use (or Chapter 61/61A in MA) reduces your tax burden quite a bit. I have 60 acres (really nice property, 8 acres open field, very little wetlands and good soils overall) in MA that has enough frontage to create 4 lots and the taxes are about $150/year because it is in Chapter 61 (if developed, I would have to give town first right of refusal on the sale and then pay 5 years back taxes).

If you bring in partners you better have governing documents or there will be trouble within the partners. It happens all the time. Friends in Maine have a great remote camp that was left to the family. Well only one owns it now and it was hell.
In my work life the family is in a huge turmoil over property. It ain't pretty to date.

Back
Top Bottom