• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying handgun from another state when the seller won't ship...

Machines

NES Member
Am I correct in understanding there's no way to do this? NH is seemingly full of cheap Redhawks but the sellers won't ship to Mass even though they're on the list.

You are correct. Fed Law mandates that purchases from out of state (for handguns) must be transferred thru a FFL in your (new owner) home state.

So if they won't ship to a MA FFL, all you can do is search for a non-MA who will ship to a MA dealer and also find a MA dealer willing to accept and transfer to you.

Am I correct in understanding there's no way to do this? NH is seemingly full of cheap Redhawks but the sellers won't ship to Mass even though they're on the list.

Push it through a willing NH dealer and get it forwarded down here for (whatever that costs). Probably could be done for $50 or less.

-Mike

Whether the NH seller is an individual or dealer, they must ship to a Mass FFL who is willing to accept the shipment and transfer it to you. The problem is getting the Mass FFL to do this.

I've never had an FFL refuse to accept a legal gun.

Happens all the time in MA, although it seems like your problem is mainly with the remotes. Try a dealer within 10
miles of the NH/MA border. Most of them are accustomed to sending on-list guns down here all the time.

-Mike

Happens all the time in MA, although it seems like your problem is mainly with the remotes. Try a dealer within 10
miles of the NH/MA border. Most of them are accustomed to sending on-list guns down here all the time.

-Mike
Push comes to shove one can also find a dealer who is licensed in both states cause they almost sit on the border. Gun and Sport North comes to mind because they are in Salem NH within almost spitting distance. I know they have a MA license and mark some handguns 'MA' because of it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back in the good old days, meaning before 1998, whenever I would buy a pistol at Big Al's in Seabrook he would have one of his guys drive the pistol to Salisbury Ma. and drop it off at a FFL dealer for transfer. I can't speak for anyone else but Al never charged me a nickel for this service. Of course that was a long time ago before this Mass. compliance BS. I seriously doubt that any N.H. dealers do that now.

Whether the NH seller is an individual or dealer, they must ship to a Mass FFL who is willing to accept the shipment and transfer it to you. The problem is getting the Mass FFL to do this.

Why the hell would a Mass FFL refuse to transfer a Redhawk?

SZaino is confusing the issue. The OP was having trouble with the seller refusing to ship to MA.

SZaino is talking about the other side of the deal. Which isn't the problem per the OP.

To the OP. If this is a new gun, buy it from another dealer in NH.

If its a used gun or is unique, the only way to make this work is for the douchey NH dealer to ship to another NH dealer who will ship to MA. Stupid, but if the gun is something special that you really want, there are ways to make this work.

I've purchased guns on GB from dealers in places like Idaho and TX who would have been willing to ship anything to MA. As far as they are concerned (and as far as the law is concerned also) its all on the local dealer who is handling the retail transfer to confirm the firearm is legal in MA.

The out of state dealer has NO, NONE, NADA, liability.

Don

I'm a dealer in NH. If you find a gun and that person or another FFL won't ship to MA you can have it shipped to me and I can ship it to your dealer in MA. I would only charge you what it cost to ship it down to your dealer. Usually under $20

Push it through a willing NH dealer and get it forwarded down here for (whatever that costs). Probably could be done for $50 or less.

-Mike

I'm a dealer in NH. If you find a gun and that person or another FFL won't ship to MA you can have it shipped to me and I can ship it to your dealer in MA. I would only charge you what it cost to ship it down to your dealer. Usually under $20
This sounds great in theory, but will the "usual suspect" NH dealers (i.e., the ones we all know and love who refuse to sell & transfer handguns to MA residents) go this route? [thinking] Something tells me that the same logic that makes them refuse a direct transfer to MA would also cause them to refuse to an indirect transfer to MA as well. But that said, I'd love to be proven wrong.

+1 and /thread

Why the hell would a Mass FFL refuse to transfer a Redhawk?

M-O-N-E-Y.

Back when Richard Feinberg was still a dealer, I transferred a S&W Scandium through him. Brandy-new-in-box. Cheap cheap cheap, even with the shipping and transfer fee. Richard was big on not opening the box until you arrived at his house. So he had no idea what was in there. When he saw it, "I've got those! Why did you transfer it?" "Because it was $150 cheaper than something I could get here." "Oh. Really?" (Thankfully, he was more interested in how to get a cheaper gun so he could sell more than the fact that I could have bought it from him. LOL)

Back in the good old days, meaning before 1998, whenever I would buy a pistol at Big Al's in Seabrook he would have one of his guys drive the pistol to Salisbury Ma. and drop it off at a FFL dealer for transfer. I can't speak for anyone else but Al never charged me a nickel for this service. Of course that was a long time ago before this Mass. compliance BS. I seriously doubt that any N.H. dealers do that now.

????

I ASSUME that's because you were avoiding the MA Sales Tax. Otherwise, how foolish is it for the MA dealer to forego a profit on the sale and then accept just a transfer fee. Strange occurrence for sure. Back in the pre-98 days.

M-O-N-E-Y.

Back when Richard Feinberg was still a dealer, I transferred a S&W Scandium through him. Brandy-new-in-box. Cheap cheap cheap, even with the shipping and transfer fee. Richard was big on not opening the box until you arrived at his house. So he had no idea what was in there. When he saw it, "I've got those! Why did you transfer it?" "Because it was $150 cheaper than something I could get here." "Oh. Really?" (Thankfully, he was more interested in how to get a cheaper gun so he could sell more than the fact that I could have bought it from him. LOL)

????

I ASSUME that's because you were avoiding the MA Sales Tax. Otherwise, how foolish is it for the MA dealer to forego a profit on the sale and then accept just a transfer fee. Strange occurrence for sure. Back in the pre-98 days.

You clearly did not understand what I said so I'll put it more another way. Say you like a N.H. dealer and decided to buy most of your pistols from him. You would buy the pistol in N.H. The dealer would then drive it to a Massachusetts FFL dealer. The Mass. dealer would charge you a small transfer fee and you would then be responsible for the Mass. tax. Sadly most young shooter have gotten so used to all the AG's Bulls*** that they just can't understand how different it was in the 80's and 90's.

This sounds great in theory, but will the "usual suspect" NH dealers (i.e., the ones we all know and love who refuse to sell & transfer handguns to MA residents) go this route? [thinking] Something tells me that the same logic that makes them refuse a direct transfer to MA would also cause them to refuse to an indirect transfer to MA as well. But that said, I'd love to be proven wrong.

For every NH dealer that won't send stuff down here there's probably two more that will, while extending double pumped middle fingers directly towards Boston. [laugh]

Push comes to shove one can also find a dealer who is licensed in both states cause they almost sit on the border. Gun and Sport North comes to mind because they are in Salem NH within almost spitting distance. I know they have a MA license and mark some handguns 'MA' because of it.

Doesn't even need to be that fancy, there are a bunch of NH dealers that have a bunch of MA dealers on file for transfers. Obviously in this case you'd pay a bit extra for the 2nd transfer, but BFD.

-Mike

What is the difference between an indirect transfer and a direct transfer?

What is the difference between an indirect transfer and a direct transfer?

Indirect would be a manufactured method to get something to MA, and I'm not thinking of anything illegal. Example: I was at Cabela's in Maine and I wanted to buy an SKS that they had. They would not sell it to me because I was from MA. I asked them to transfer it to a NH FFL who could then transfer it to me; legal and indirect. Cabela's refused to send it to NH because they now knew what I was going to do and "Cabela's doesn't want that rifle in MA."

I've never had an FFL refuse to accept a legal gun.
I looked for the answer to this in this thread and did not see it. If somebody answered already I'm sorry if I missed it. About half of the FFL's that I use will not accept an out of state shipment from a private citizen. They all take shipments from out of state FFL's.

Indirect would be a manufactured method to get something to MA, and I'm not thinking of anything illegal. Example: I was at Cabela's in Maine and I wanted to buy an SKS that they had. They would not sell it to me because I was from MA. I asked them to transfer it to a NH FFL who could then transfer it to me; legal and indirect. Cabela's refused to send it to NH because they now knew what I was going to do and "Cabela's doesn't want that rifle in MA."
What is wrong with an SKS?

Last edited:
Try Bobs Guns. They have a place in NH on the boarder and then a place just over the boarder in Salisbury. Same owner and he is very knowledgeable about both states laws.

For every NH dealer that won't send stuff down here there's probably two more that will, while extending double pumped middle fingers directly towards Boston. [laugh]
That's not been my experience, but maybe I've just been stopping at the wrong places. The fear of Dimples the Tyrant seems pretty damn strong in southern New Hampshire these days. [thinking]

Not a thing, and that was the ultra frustrating thing. Cabela's, both the Maine gun counter and national office said that "the law was unclear about the legality of the SKS." They weren't hearing otherwise.

See some of my posts in the other thread (don't recall the subject, sorry) within the past 1-2 days. I spoke with Cabela's corporate law office before they opened in MA to try to stop the idiocy before it started in this state. I provided documentation to prove legality of actions, etc. It did absolutely no good. Another surprising thing was that the Hudson store hired a Neponset Valley guy as their marketing manager for the store, he belongs to a gun club in the Boston area and should know enough to question some of the idiocy (MA Resident LTCs only to buy empty ammo cans, accessories, etc.), but even that didn't help. Just give up on that chain and go elsewhere, that's the only good solution here.

That's not been my experience, but maybe I've just been stopping at the wrong places. The fear of Dimples the Tyrant seems pretty damn strong in southern New Hampshire these days. [thinking]

That has been the intent of all the AG's bluster, it causes FUD and she doesn't have to actually prosecute anyone to get her desired results . . . stop sales of guns into MA. Sadly it is very effective.

Back
Top Bottom