buying first gun. any advice?

Hey all,

So I will be receiving my LTC-A in about a week (restricted cause I live in a red town) and once I get it, I will be in the market for my first gun. I already have a very good idea as to what I want: a Ruger mkii or mk iii. Any opinions on which is "better"? Also, where would you recommend I go to get a used Ruger mkii/iii? I live in southeast MA and would like to avoid going west of worcester or down the cape. Four Seasons seems to be cast in a good light by most of their customers buying new guns, but do they do well with used ones as well? I obviously haven't bought any guns before since this is my first one, so I don't know what to look for in a used firearm. Does Four Seasons tend to price high? low? about right? If I find a used Ruger there should I go looking at other shops for one of better quality or does Four Seasons usually sell quality used guns? What should I expect to pay for a used stainless Ruger mkii/iii with a 5.5/6.875" barrel?

Is a 5.5" or 6.875" barrel better for target shooting? I know longer barrels give better accuracy, but would I even notice a difference between these two lengths?

Any info you think a first time buyer should know would be helpful also.

Thanks

Hi EcHo,
From your question regarding barrel length it appears that you intend to do some target shooting. While the Rugers are both dependable and adequate for general use, they will need modification to be competitive for target shooting (e.g., trigger job, optics, grips, etc.). My brother and I both have MK-IIs, while my nephew has a MK-III. Aftermarket triggers, grips, etc., for the MK-IIs were less expensive, but not significantly. Since you are looking for a used Ruger, either would suffice if in decent condition and priced right. The shorter bull barrel seems to be the most popular for gallery shooting. I've had good luck purchasing used firearms from Coin Collectors Gallery in Stoneham, though I've heard good reports from Four Seasons as well.
Jim

I bought a new MKIII several years ago and it is an awesome shooter.... As mentioned on the previous post by oldyankee, the bull barrel models seem to be the most popular for target shooting and I also would recommend going with a good aftermarket sear to lighten the trigger...

Checked the used list at FS and it doesn't look like there are none in stock:

http://www.fsguns.com/used/

but new they are pretty reasonable....[grin]

I tried to post this last night but the server moved...

Hi and welcome

So many aspects to your questions. I'll start with the following:

If you are going to four seasons, make a road trip and visit Collectors in Stoneham as well as Northeast Firearms in Middleton - if you're feeling really adventurous, go to Salem and visit the new Gun & Sport North (formally in Lawrence - they have an office so there's no charge for bringing it into MA...)

All three shops are pretty different
FS is usually crowded but staff is pretty good about getting you attention. Do not feel bad about stopping anyone and asking for help.

Collectors has more room and more stuff than FS - the guys behind the counter are solid too - they tend to appear grumpy at first. Again, don't be afraid to ask for help and again sometimes they are mobbed

Northeast is a newer shop with mostly newer guns, tightly packed but well organized - plenty of help, friendly and customer oriented shop.

I haven't been to Salem to the "new" G&SN yet so I can't comment.

Oh, theres a shop in Lowell too - I stop in on my way by but forget the name at present...

You seem to have a make/model picked out and that's good - now be patient and shop around a touch - use the phone and get some info on in-stock models with cost info. Visit each shop, and others of your area, and get a feel for the kind of shop you like best.

I visit all 3 mentioned regularly and buy different things from different shops - usually just ammo lately.

Sometimes I don't mind paying a little extra because a shop feels better to me than another - sometimes I buy because they have what I want and others don't.

WRT barrel length, the Rugers tend to be accurate in any size but I have limited experience with MKii's - I would have no problem buying a MKiii especially because of the new features like the mag release. I am a lefty so certain guns appeal to me because I can operate them easier than other guns.

As for the used portion of the program, I recommend working with someone you know that has experience in the particular model you're after - I'm thinking more about any future purchases you may make not just your first one here.

Do your homework and search out faults, problems, etc so you know what particulars your model has that way when you're in a shop and see one you'll know what to look for. Spending smartly means more than buying low.

For instance, I was in a shop and saw a Colt 1911 commander - OOOH score! No, not so much - big scratch on the side of the receiver suggested a newbie owner, mismatched magazine that didn't quite fit, goofy looking sights that looked to be installed incorrectly - I left it there. Maybe another guy would have been able to fix all those things and have a fine running gun but I know I wasn't him.

If you get a new MKii/iii you should be getting a nice unit - I will say the non-bull barrel model I shot had a "flippy muzzle" meaning the bull barrel would have been nicer as the weight would help with a follow up shot. Mine was a 5.5" bbl if I remember correctly.

Some general advice:
shoot as many guns as you can - go to a rental range, shoot with friends, ask guys at the range why they chose X model and learn as much as you can before you buy. Also, don't be afraid to sell a gun off if you can't run it - I'm wrestling with this aspect now as I'm not a trader, I'm more of a buy-and-keeper but some guns you should just keep. Wish I could take my own advice on this one but can't seem to...

Don't be afraid of air powered guns as a training tool - good shooting skills are learned and bad habits are hard to break. Air guns are cheap to buy and cheap to run and from a fun perspective waaay fun. Think there's no challenge? Get a bunch of shotgun shells and put them out at 25 feet...now try with a pistol.

Congrats on your first purchase and LTC - good luck in your search

Ruger MkII is good especially if you are left handed, for the mag release is on the bottum... You won't inadvertantly hit the mag release...

EcHo, I'd advise you to disregard all the advice about new triggers, sears, special parts.

Just buy the gun, and worry about all that stuff a LONG time from now. The Ruger, as it comes, is a fine firearm. These people posting about changing parts have much more experience at this point, and it might make a difference to them, it won't to you, not for a long time.

You didn't say where you are on the South Shore? There are other shops as well.

I think once you decide what you are willing to pay, you should buy the first best gun you find instead of driving around all day looking at gun shops. Heck, you should have done that already.

I'd say you're going to pay $220 or a little more for a good used Ruger almost anywhere. Why spend all day driving around. If you get it at the first shop, you'll have time to clean it and go shooting before the day is over.

Longer barrels aren't more accurate. It appears that way because the longer sight radius (distance of front to back sight) makes it better to aim. The shorter barrel guns are fine, as a matter of fact they are wonderful. I don't think you'd notice the difference for years, until you become a better shot than your gun, which is unlikely.

I do like the bull barrel, it gives a solid, front heavy feel that helps steady the gun.

Don't forget to buy a cleaning kit, and a storage bag or box to carry the gun to and from the range. Also, ear plugs, headphones or other ear protection, as well as shooting glasses.

Good luck, have fun. You'll love either model you choose.

Make sure you buy from a reputable shop like FS. Check the dealer listings here. If you don't know what to look for in a used gun, you are going to have to depend on the integrity of the dealer to help you. There are many shops that fit that bill.

Four Seasons has excellent prices on new Mark III pistols - their prices on new guns are the best around, and customer service is excellent. No reason why that's not a great choice/shop for your first gun.

IF you do your homework and happen to come across a Mark II, I'd recommend you buy it over the Mark III. Ruger added several features to the Mark III (load chamber indicator, mag disconnect) which are generally considered "undesirable." They don’t serve a useful function and add extra unnecessary parts which can complicate the firearm. It's not the end of the world if your gun has them, but it's nice to avoid them if you can.

As for barrel length, unless you're a big, strong guy, I'd go with the 5.5 barrel. There's no recoil on a .22, and even the shortest barreled Mark III is going to shoot more accurately than you can (no offense), so you're really not benefiting from a longer barrel. The only thing it's going to do is add weight to the gun, which will cause you to fatigue more quickly.

Four Seasons has great prices, but if you're anywhere near Plymoth, the M&M Plimoth Bay Outfitters on Main Street is pretty comparable and not quite so far away. I'm not sure about used, but I know they have brand new Ruger's in the $300-$500 range (approximating from memory). You can always stop in there, see what they've got, and then call Four Seasons later and ask what they've got. Might save yourself a good long trip.

If you don't have a friend who knows the gun you intend to buy, have someone at the shop show you how to break it down/field strip it. The Mark III is a pain to break down, have to hold you tongue just right and hop on your left foot it seems. I tried to put it together for several hours and ended up driving back to the shop, gunsmith had it together in 20 seconds. I still regret not being shown how to do it.

From now, I just clean the barrel :(.

Is a 5.5" or 6.875" barrel better for target shooting? I know longer barrels give better accuracy, but would I even notice a difference between these two lengths?

Longer barrels do not make the pistol more accurate and you will not notice a difference between the two lengths that you mention.

The inherent accuracy of a pistol is irrelevant of barrel length. Barrel length affects muzzle velocity as a longer barrel gives the powder time to burn completely and develop its full pressure, but that is also irrelevant to accuracy. Firearm accuracy is the result of a complex system that includes chamber dimensions, barrel resonance, the consistency of the barrel's internal dimensions, the quality of its crown, the slide to barrel fit in a semi auto, the cylinder to frame to barrel fit of a revolver, and many other factors.

What longer barrels do is give you a longer sight radius (distance between sights) which makes a given amount of sight misalignment have a smaller effect on target at a given distance when compared to a similar firearm with a shorter barrel length.

In any case, as a beginner, you skill will not let you approach the handgun's inherent accuracy for a while. By then you will have probably bought and sold many guns. [smile] So get what you like and don't worry about the minutae.

If you want a target shooting rimfire pistol, I would suggest a 6" barreled Smith & Wesson Model 617. Same capacity as a Ruger Mark II/III, caveman simple to operate and field strip, brutally accurate, and better looking.

If you don't have a friend who knows the gun you intend to buy, have someone at the shop show you how to break it down/field strip it. ...

Every time I've purchased a gun at FS they showed me how to break it down without me having to ask. I didn't get that service at another gun shop from which I made a purchase.

Hi Echo,

Congrats on the freshly minted LTC, I got mine the beginning of this year, so i'll give you my perspective as a relative 'newbie'.

Based on you not wanting to travel down the cape, I assume you aren't too far south east. I'm northeast, and have had great experiences at Four Seasons, Collector's in Stoneham, and I consider Northshore Firearms in Middleton my 'home' shop. Middleton is where I purchased my MKIII. I've only ever purchased ammo at Collectors, but I buy a lot of my ammo there. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a firearm from them. With the exception of my $200 Dick's pump shotty, my collection originates between Northshore and Four Seasons.

I bought my MKIII brand new from North Shore for a tad over $400, as my .45 is a little expensive to shoot regularly. As a previous poster said, do not worry about aftermarket modifications, as it works just fine for its intended purpose out of the box. It is more accurate than you will be, for quite some time I'd say.

I would suggest, shortly after you're purchase of a .22, to look into something a little better suited for home defense since the commiwealth has blessed you with an LTC.

Since a .22 is most likely going to be a range toy, it is safe to go used. Ruger's are as solid as they come (IMHO). I purchased mine new however, as the price difference was negligible in my eyes, in which case I find Northshore Firearms in Middleton to be the finest of Ruger dealers.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom