• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

buying advice, tacticool rifle

seanc

NES Member
Ok, I will admit it. I am an aspiring mall cop ninja.. and in keeping with this I am looking at a new goodie..

But Right now I have a steyr ssg pii (308) and a ltr (223).

I am thinking of either adding a 300wm (rem 700p or similar) or possibly another 308 (700p/ fn)

Or maybe going the other route and doing something like a really nice bolt in 22/ 22m (like ruger 77/ cz 452).

Any suggestions? Range use, probably up to @ 300m..

Looking at sub 1k for the rifle and ultimatley do a nice scope/ rings etc..

I was nuts to wall for a Rem 700 either the Police model or something similar but the more and more I try to work the budget the more I think that the answer is the Savage 10FP which would leave enough cash to add a nice Super Sniper score and a Harris bi-pod and still come in around $1000. It's your money but give the Savage a look before you buy Rem on reflex.

I have had several savages.. Just could never get around the awful stock. And the idea of spending an extra 300+ to get a decent stock (and at the time not so nice triggers) always led me to trade it in the hopes of getting something else.. But now with the accutrigger it may be worth a second look.

But, If I opt for the 300, I don't think they do a 300wm in a tac/ target/ hb type..

But, If I opt for the 300, I don't think they do a 300wm in a tac/ target/ hb type..

True - but converting a Savage to that caliber is a project you can do at home without paying a gunsmith. Their stocks have been bad - I haven't seen or shot one of their new Accu-stocks to see if there's been any improvement.

The best part about Savages (I think), is their designs friendliness to the DIYer. Oh, and their willingness to make damn near everything available in left hand!

I have had several savages.. Just could never get around the awful stock. And the idea of spending an extra 300+ to get a decent stock (and at the time not so nice triggers) always led me to trade it in the hopes of getting something else.. But now with the accutrigger it may be worth a second look.

Some of the Savges in their LE series come with McMillan stocks. One also comes with an HS Precision stock, but anyone who buys a rifle with an HS stock on it is insane.

Some of the Savges in their LE series come with McMillan stocks. One also comes with an HS Precision stock, but anyone who buys a rifle with an HS stock on it is insane.

Are you talking about the add with the infamous endorsement?

B

Sean, if your expected distance does not include anything beyond 300 yards, anything Magnum is a total waste unless you just enjoy recoil.

If you don't reload, your choices for match grade ammo are slim and mostly limited to 223 and 308. If you do reaload, that opens up a whole new world of 6 mm goodness with the 6 mmBR being king of the hill.

Back
Top Bottom