• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a Saiga in NH

Kvar is usually my source for parts. My biggest investment in tools is a Dremel. Everything else is hammers, chisels, and punches.

Kvar is usually my source for parts. My biggest investment in tools is a Dremel. Everything else is hammers, chisels, and punches.

well, i already got a press from HK builds, so i'm not gonna be hammering sights off.
k-var is expensive though, and stuff is often out of stock there. once i put together list of parts i needed and it turned out that getting a kit would be just couple of 20s more money.
that was before kits were $350

well, i already got a press from HK builds, so i'm not gonna be hammering sights off.
k-var is expensive though, and stuff is often out of stock there. once i put together list of parts i needed and it turned out that getting a kit would be just couple of 20s more money.

You can borrow my jigs if you ever get to building one .

Where are you finding all the parts that add up to be close to the same price of kits?

The reason I ask us I'm in that boat for a build mixing parts and it's costing me much more then a kit .

Not right away. I like the idea of changing it as funds allow, and ending up with a Russian AK. I'd spring for Boris's shovel gun if that was available though.

If you mod it, make sure it's 922r compliant. Actually, I don't give a crap if it's 922r compliant or not. I'm just warning you about one possible "infraction" you might run across. Hate to see you go to Club Fed for something you're unaware of.

Picked up a conversion kit from Carolina Shooters. It had everything I needed to convert one of my Saigas. I believe it was $109. One drill, a few drill bits, couple of screw drivers and a small hammer. I needed a flat file to file down the magazine tang so the 30 round mags would fit and I needed a bullet guide kit (~ $13) and some blue loctite. Took about 4 hours to do the conversion and I had never done one. YouTube is your friend.

Kvar is definitely pricey. Unfortunately they often have stuff that you can't find anywhere else, plus they're descriptions are pretty accurate. That's the only way I could tell for sure if the parts I bought would fit a Saiga barrel. Pin holes lined up spot on with the barrel notches and all. As for my old Saiga parts, I cut the sides to help in removing them because I knew they weren't going to be used again. A press does indeed make jobs like that much easier.

If you mod it, make sure it's 922r compliant. Actually, I don't give a crap if it's 922r compliant or not. I'm just warning you about one possible "infraction" you might run across. Hate to see you go to Club Fed for something you're unaware of.

I've asked on several boards a number of times and never gotten an answer.

Does anyone know a single gun owner who has ever been charged with anything relating to 922R?

I didn't think so. This is a law thats intent was for it to apply to importers and manufacturers. I may be over reaching, but I doubt the ATF cares if that trigger pack you put into your AK was made in the US or Pakistan.

Picked up a conversion kit from Carolina Shooters. It had everything I needed to convert one of my Saigas. I believe it was $109. One drill, a few drill bits, couple of screw drivers and a small hammer. I needed a flat file to file down the magazine tang so the 30 round mags would fit and I needed a bullet guide kit (~ $13) and some blue loctite. Took about 4 hours to do the conversion and I had never done one. YouTube is your friend.

I looked at that kit and noticed this line in the descriptor "All you need is a stock of your choice to complete the conversion." Do I have to change the factory stock, or are they trying to sell me something else? Also, will this kit keep me legal for 922r?

If you move the trigger forward where it belongs you'll need to change the stock. It does count as a US part btw as long as you're using one made here.

Check out some conversion videos on YouTube and look up some of my conversion posts here in the Build it Yourself section for a better look at what it involves.

You can always leave the factory trigger alone and get a stock/grip combo that doesn't require moving it.

lol in 2010 they were $299 delivered
Yes, I remember those days. Seems like it was even more recent than that but time flies.

I tried to buy one from a shop in Little Rhody, but they weren't interested in selling to a MA resident.

Too bad for me that I had other priorities at the time, so I didn't pursue it. Now I must pay the new inflated price. [thinking]

Does anyone know a single gun owner who has ever been charged with anything relating to 922R?

I didn't think so. This is a law thats intent was for it to apply to importers and manufacturers. I may be over reaching, but I doubt the ATF cares if that trigger pack you put into your AK was made in the US or Pakistan.

Probably be an addon charge after they busted you for something else. Kinda like a safe storage charge.

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

Probably be an addon charge after they busted you for something else. Kinda like a safe storage charge.

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

No, because 922r is a federal thing. MA cops don't even know what 922 compliance is.

So I'll restate with an even lower threshold.

Does anyone know a single gun owner who has been charged in any way, even as an add on, with a 922r violation?

I didn't think so. Its vapor folks. This is meant for dealers and manufacturers. Most parts aren't marked, so there is no simple way to tell.

And lets face it. If the ATF is doing metallurgical analysis of your gun parts for 922 compliance, you have some much bigger problems to deal with.

Last edited:
No, because 922r is a federal thing. MA cops don't even know what 922 compliance is.

Does anyone know a single gun owner who has been charged in any way, even as an add on, with a 922r violation?

I didn't think so. Its vapor folks. This is meant for dealers and manufacturers. Most parts aren't marked, so there is no simple way to tell.

And lets face it. If the ATF is doing metallurgical analysis of your gun parts for 922 compliance, you have some much bigger problems to deal with.

Bingo. 922r part count compliance is something the bust you with AFTER they totally rail you for something else. The 4th keeps them from grabbing your gun to see if it's 922r. "it looked like it was not 922r, so we seized it to make sure" would absolutely flunk the 4th also. Really, your eyes can tell one type of alloy from another from 6 feet away, and you have the ocular resolution to tell the 10-micron wide tooling lines to determine Pakistan vs. Nevada?

A case came up in Washington state - sorry, no link - where kids were carrying a semi-auto GSG rifle, but had an SEF trigger housing. The officer seized the gun and did a "full auto" check and then gave the gun back. They did not first ask if the gun was full auto and/or ask for a tax stamp so to seize the gun to check for full-auto clearly (I thought...) violated the 4th. It didn't go to court, because the cop took the gun as part of standard procedure for 'being detained'. Watched it on utube, maybe you can find it...

You mean, he didnt' check it for 922R compliance? I'm surprised. <sarcasm>

As an aside, you don't have to show your tax stamp to anyone other than the ATF. I've refused to show ID and ATF paperwork to LE. He left shaking his head. This was in CT. I'd never attempt that in MA.

922R frankly isn't even worth worrying about, unless you're a manufacturer or a gunsmith. Some guy on FalFiles had a $1000 challenge open to any one who could find a standalone USC 922R case. I think he got to keep his $1000. Someone eventually found a case that peripherally involved a 922R issue, some gunsmith was making M1As on chinese receivers or something screwy like that, and the guns were literally in various states of construction inside the licensed premises.

-Mike

No I've never heard of anyone being charged with a 922r violation. There, I gave you an answer. [grin]

Recheck the B&K Saiga GB thread. Looks like it is still on after all.

Yup, I'm the "one spoken for." $479 is the cheapest I've found, there was a shop in Worcester that wanted $560. I checked New Hampshire, not a lot of call for Mass legal rifles. The guy at Collectable said he doesn't carry them just on principle. The guy at Riley's said "I'm not familiar with the brand."

Yup, I'm the "one spoken for." $479 is the cheapest I've found, there was a shop in Worcester that wanted $560. I checked New Hampshire, not a lot of call for Mass legal rifles. The guy at Collectable said he doesn't carry them just on principle. The guy at Riley's said "I'm not familiar with the brand."

What does "on principle" mean?

On the principle that it sucks until you do a bunch of work to it?

Back
Top Bottom