• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a Saiga in NH

Umbagog

NES Member
After doing some research I've settled on a Saiga IZ132 for a first rifle, new and un-messed with. I'll be in NH this weekend, if I come across one are there any issues with bringing it home to Mass? Do I have a shot at finding one for less than $500 or am I living in 2010? Unless the group buy from last month gets rolling, then I'm all over it.

PS Class A unrestricted, for what that's worth.

needs to be AWB compliant, otherwise as long as it's legal for you to own in your home state you can purchase a long gun out of state.

lol in 2010 they were $299 delivered
good luck though i've seen on the internet saigas going for $500 but not all of them just 7.62x39 and 223. 5.45s for some reason are still around $550-600

Plus 1. Brian is a good guy to deal with. Nice little shop also.

Are you converting the rifle? I was going to do this route .Picked up a Norinko AK for about the same price as converting the Saiga.

Not right away. I like the idea of changing it as funds allow, and ending up with a Russian AK. I'd spring for Boris's shovel gun if that was available though.

After doing some research I've settled on a Saiga IZ132 for a first rifle, new and un-messed with. I'll be in NH this weekend, if I come across one are there any issues with bringing it home to Mass? Do I have a shot at finding one for less than $500 or am I living in 2010? Unless the group buy from last month gets rolling, then I'm all over it.

This is a Saiga RWCIZ132
RWCIZ132_1.jpg

I am trying to figure out what would qualify this as an AW in MA, no pistol grip, 10 rd mag, fixed stock, no bayo-lug

Huh? I said muzzle device. Are you drunk?

MA AWB is a two-feature test. Normally with ARs you have the pistol grip, so any other feature (flash hider, threaded barrel, bayo lug) triggers AW status. Since the unconverted Saigas have no pistol grip, they can have a different feature without triggering AW status. AFAIK AKs typically have muzzle brakes, if anything, so having it unpinned (and therefore a threaded barrel) would still not make it an AW.

My Saiga has a threaded barrel. That adds to feature count... keep that in mind.

It doesn't have a pistol grip ... It can have a muzzle device .

MA AWB is a two-feature test. Normally with ARs you have the pistol grip, so any other feature (flash hider, threaded barrel, bayo lug) triggers AW status. Since the unconverted Saigas have no pistol grip, they can have a different feature without triggering AW status. AFAIK AKs typically have muzzle brakes, if anything, so having it unpinned (and therefore a threaded barrel) would still not make it an AW.

I totally missed that one. [laugh]

Sorry Ben. [laugh]

Just a thought.

5 years ago, preban AKs cost about the same that they do now. But as others have said, standard Saiga rifles have gone up a lot since then.

So you have a $500 Saiga now that will need to be tweaked to have it the way you want.

Well, what if you could buy a pre-ban gun that could have any combination of parts you want, for $1000? Its do-able if you stay away from the folders.
Prebans like the Norinco 84s make more and more sense. Plus, they shoot .223, so you can feed it the same stuff you feed your AR. The only real down side is the mags are expensive.

I'm not saying its better. But its a consideration.

Here's one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=392134925

Preban AKs have jumped in price too. Not by much, but a pre ban Norinco that was just under $1000 a few tears ago is going for around $1200 now.

The average Saiga conversion can be done for under a $100. Going for the full authentic Russian AK look is going to cost more of course.

I've seen some fixed stock 84-s go for under 1100 on FB in the last month.

I didn't realize a conversion could be done for so little. I would have thought that the parts to move the trigger forward, mag well conversion, new stock and handguard would run more like $300.

Either way, I just wanted to get it out there. The preban stuff is still less than it was before the economic melt down in 08.

Tapco butt stocks can be found for $30, grips for $10, grip screw and nut for $5, FCG for $25, retainer clip $2 or a plate for $5, and a bullet guide and screw for $13. Miscellaneous screws, nuts and plastic button plugs are an extra $2 and if you need to buy a drill/tap combo that's about $6.

That's a basic list to get a Saiga running using a pistol grip and feeding using standard AK mags.

I always re-use/re-shape the trigger guard because I'm cheap. :D

Adding a traditional AK hand guard set will run about an extra $75 depending on how you mount them.

Last edited:
convert dat saiga yourself. i did one for a friend on the living room floor at my old house. easy peasy lemon squeezy.

i did like dozen by now. got it down to science. can do conversion including standard AK handguards in less than 45 minutes. another 15 minutes to blast spray paint it out of the can.

BTW if you do eventually decide to convert your Saiga to AK handguards you will need one of these:

retainer2.6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom