• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a firearm in NH

I'm currently a CT resident. I do not have a CT Pistol or Long Gun permit. I had a CCW permit years ago, shot on a league, bla, bla, bla but let it expire as my X and I had expected to move to AZ.

Fast forward 15 years....

I bought property 7 years ago in NH and built a small cabin on it. Is there anything stopping me from buying a long gun over the counter while in NH and keeping it up there on my property? Said long gun may not pass silly CT law(s) but will never be bought back into CT anyway...

I believe BATFE rules allow you to claim residency in NH - I'd bring a tax bill or something to prove this, since I assume your ID says CT. Some shops won't honor that though and you'll be SOL with them.

From my research you can be a resident of 2 states for the purchase of fire arms. Getting a NH dealer to accept proof of residency when your driver license says CT is your hurdle. I'd suggest you call a shop and ask what they would accept for proof of residency in NH.

As whacko says, you're going to need to prove residency in NH to buy the firearm in NH.

Federal law says that you can buy a long arm in any state so long as you can legally purchase that long arm in your state of residency. CT now has ammo permit, long arm permit, pistol permit, and one other that I keep forgetting that Jared keeps reminding me of. The point being - you specifically can't purchase in NH as a CT resident because you no longer can purchase legally in CT. So, you're going to need to purchase in NH as a NH resident.

I've done this hundreds of times. State issued ID (Drivers License) combined with a property tax bill with YOUR NAME on it, Voter ID card, etc.

BATFE advised me in both MT and NM that those states requirements for hunting licenses mean a resident hunting license is sufficient...not sure about NH. If the gun shop is uncomfortable doing this have them refer to the Q&A on 4473 I beloeveits question 20a.

I suggest a US passport card or US passport for situations like this. The US passport / card lists no address on it. It has picture id and is considered the gold standard for identification. The card / passport when presented with something to show residency such as the tax or a utility bill or both, should be enough to overcome any questions by a shop keep. Also nice to show as a general id as it prevents others from learning your address.

Although it varies by FFL, the utility bill technically needs to be from a municipal utility, nor a private utility like nstar.
Some may not take any utility bills, some may take all. The tax bill is best as the ATF uses it as an example.

As whacko says, you're going to need to prove residency in NH to buy the firearm in NH.

Federal law says that you can buy a long arm in any state so long as you can legally purchase that long arm in your state of residency. CT now has ammo permit, long arm permit, pistol permit, and one other that I keep forgetting that Jared keeps reminding me of. The point being - you specifically can't purchase in NH as a CT resident because you no longer can purchase legally in CT. So, you're going to need to purchase in NH as a NH resident.

that was a great explanation of a retarded situation.

I've bought a half dozen long guns in New Hampshire over the years. (I live on the border and for years I had more shops up there)
Never had a problem. Has something changed on long guns?

Last edited:
Here's the text from the instructions on fed form 4473:

"If the transferee/buyer has two States of residence, the transferee/
buyer should list his/her current residence address in response to
question 2 (e.g., if the transferee/buyer is purchasing a firearm while staying at
his/her weekend home in State X, he/she should list the address in State X in
response to question 2)."

The following comes from the ATF's website:

"What constitutes residency in a State?

For Gun Control Act (GCA) purposes, a person is a resident of a State in which he or she is present with the intention of making a home in that State. The State of residence for a corporation or other business entity is the State where it maintains a place of business. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the member’s permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained.

[18 U.S.C. 921(b), 922(a)(3), and 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.11]

Last Reviewed September 21, 2018"

This is interesting, as it seems to allow for the purchaser to be a resident of more than one state. "A home" is different from "primary residence".

But the larger question, why not just become a NH resident, is the better solution.

NB: IANAL

The atf rolled out a new NICS requirement on dealers. I attach the email below
Good Afternoon,

On October 9, 2018, a system upgrade will be implemented with the following changes. These changes will be implemented across all methods of background check submissions, both NICS E-Check and the NICS Contracted Call Center.

These modifications are to better assist in the background check process. The NICS is a name-based system. When a NICS background check is performed, a match/no match decision has to be made based upon the information available to the system. The more information available for consideration in making a match/no match determination, the more accurate determination can be. It is extremely important that the FFL check the government issued photo Identification provided by the purchaser to ensure that information matches the information supplied by the purchaser on the ATF Form 4473 and that the information is input into the background check with the same accuracy.

· Require the capture of customers full Middle Name

o NICS E-Check users must use “IO” or “NMN” when applicable (example X”IO” for initial only or “NMN” for no middle name)

· Require the capture of a Valid Identification Number in the Miscellaneous Number(s) Field, i.e. Driver’s License Number

o For all Non-US Citizens you will be required to enter both the I94 or AR/USCIS number and a Valid Government Issued Identification Number

· Require the submitting user to attest they have reviewed the ATF Form 4473

o “ Does the descriptive information in Section A exactly match the valid government-issued photo identification document(s) provided to you AND do questions 11b through 11i and 12b and 12c have a “No” response?”

· NICS E-Check users will now be required to re-enter the customers First, Middle, and Last Name on the verification page before clicking submit

Thank you,

The NICS Business Relations Team

It went active 10/16. The government issued ID must match the information entered on the 4473. This seems incompatible with 2nd state residency and using utility bills or property bill, etc.

I don’t know how a ffl can sell to the summer home owner given the NICS change even with their other guidance on dual residency and filling out the 4473.

It went active 10/16. The government issued ID must match the information entered on the 4473. This seems incompatible with 2nd state residency and using utility bills or property bill, etc.

I don’t know how a ffl can sell to the summer home owner given the NICS change even with their other guidance on dual residency and filling out the 4473.

All that means is, does John Does actually look like he's 6' with brown hair and weigh 200 lbs..

Left hand, right hand.

NICS cannot dictate the way the 4473 is filled out, the ATF has the authority there and has specific guidance for current residence. Moreover the instructions for Q2 specifically calls out the active duty situation, the origin of the reason for "Current residence" definition.

NICS can tell you to use the 4473 address. NICS can tell you to use the government issued ID address. NICS cannot instruct you how to fill out a 4473.

All that means is, does John Does actually look like he's 6' with brown hair and weigh 200 lbs..

Ok, that makes more sense. Non issue.

I've bought a half dozen long guns in New Hampshire over the years. (I live on the boarder and for years I had more shops up there)
Same. Am I overlooking something here? It is still early in the morning but I thought buying LONG GUNS out of state isn't a problem and you do NOT need to be a resident of the state that you're buying in? Handguns are a different story of course.

Long guns purchased out of state still have to comply with resident state laws. E.g. if I go to buy an AR in NH, they shouldn't selling one to me because it would be illegal in my home state of MA.

Same. Am I overlooking something here? It is still early in the morning but I thought buying LONG GUNS out of state isn't a problem and you do NOT need to be a resident of the state that you're buying in? Handguns are a different story of course.

You can legally purchase any long gun out of state if you can legally purchase that same long gun in your state of residence.

The OP cannot currently purchase any firearm legally in the state of CT because he doesn't have any permit at all, and CT now requires a permit to even purchase ammo. Plus, he stated in his initial posting that said purchase might or might not pass CT laws. So, he needs to go with NH residency.

You can legally purchase any long gun out of state if you can legally purchase that same long gun in your state of residence.

The OP cannot currently purchase any firearm legally in the state of CT because he doesn't have any permit at all, and CT now requires a permit to even purchase ammo. Plus, he stated in his initial posting that said purchase might or might not pass CT laws. So, he needs to go with NH residency.
Ahhh that makes sense! Thanks for that. I think I need more coffee[laugh]

Damn, you just missed the Manchester Gun Show. Could have just got what you wanted at the loophole section.

I get it now. Most of my New Hampshire adoptions were done before the foolish Mass AG shenanigans...
AKA: "The Good Old Days..."

So I just bought a long gun in NH. Showed him my local real estate tax bill. But he filled in the address form from my [MA] license.

If I wanted to nuy a pistol, how would it work now? Should I bring a passport instead of a state license?

So I just bought a long gun in NH. Showed him my local real estate tax bill. But he filled in the address form from my [MA] license.

If I wanted to nuy a pistol, how would it work now? Should I bring a passport instead of a state license?

Was the long gun Mass legal? if so, I don't see the reason for the NH proof of residency.

Although it varies by FFL, the utility bill technically needs to be from a municipal utility, nor a private utility like nstar.
Some may not take any utility bills, some may take all. The tax bill is best as the ATF uses it as an example.
The law says "government document". If a utility bill is from a government agency (i.e. county) you're fine. A private water/electric company is not a "government agency".

I've bought a half dozen long guns in New Hampshire over the years. (I live on the boarder and for years I had more shops up there)
If you are buying as a non-resident, it needs to be legal in your state of residence. If he's buying it a NH resident, he'll be fine with what's legal in NH.

Yes, for ID purposes ("NICS is name based"). Your home state DL will verify your name. Your "other state" government document (tax bill, etc.) will show your current residence address.

Back
Top Bottom