Bump Firing Device. Legal?

Whoa, is the air a little thin up there on your high horse?

First of all, I am neither timid, nor easily intimidated. Have you ever heard the expression "Don't argue law on the side of the road"? Well, for reasons too complex and personal to explain here, it would have been a very bad idea for me to confront the particular LEO that was responding that day. Instead I decided to excercise the better part of valor.

As it happens, I shoot quite often with his boss and I did educate him. I educated him so well that he used up about half of my 7.62x39 stash back when it was hard to get.

This might be the single dumbest thing I've read on any forum. A twitchy rookie LEO responds to a call involving a possible machine gun and you want me to try to grab a loaded AK? Smart.

OK Mr. "Stand your ground", I'll offer you a challenge to see if you're willing to back up your rhetoric: Since there's no law specifically prohibiting open carry in Mass, why don't you strap on your favorite handgun and stroll around, say... Lexington center until some suburbanite gets scared and calls the cops. The you can explain the law to them and pay all the legal fees to get yourself out of trouble, and then forever fight for the renewal of your LTC. Are you up for it or will you "comply fully to their wishes and fears"?

I carry concealed for a reason and it has nothing to do with keeping sheeple from being scared, it has to do with keeping a potential bad guy from knowing who's carrying and who's not. Open carry has nothing to do with pulling a trigger fast enough to sound automated like a machinegun.

I have been confronted on more than one occasion firing full auto on a range and never has it been a problem, once explained to the responding officer, a few of which didn't even know that machgineguns were legal in MA. Some of them even stuck around and fired off a couple of mags.

I'm not on any high horse, you left the officer ignorant of the law if you didn't stick around and explain it. I've also been through the false arrest thing....see my post above. Either you are in compliance with the law or you are not. No need to run away and hide. Can you cite the MGL against pulling a trigger fast?

You are intimidated and thats why you won't stand your ground when you are doing nothing wrong.

Your handle fits well.

Though a color film, THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, based on the best-selling novel by George V. Higgins, is a throwback to the film noir tradition. It chronicles the last days of a weary Boston-based weapons dealer who becomes an informant for the police and the treasury department to avoid an extended prison sentence. This ultra-realistic depiction of the underworld is enhanced by flawless peformances, particularly the burnt-out cynicism of Robert Mitchum.

Last edited by a moderator:
EddieCoyle is absolutely right!!

You don't want to screw with the guy with the gun/badge. There is no way that you won't "leave with a mark"!

Agreed, Len.

I can see in some cases where it might be a matter of how one interacts
with the responding officer(s), but if your buddy calls you up on the phone
and says "Hey, they got a report of MG fire, and officer bozo is responding" do we
really want to hang around and interact with LEOs we know are
problematic? I think that's the point that Eddie is getting at
here. Sometimes it's about "local politics" especially in this state.

-Mike

Agreed, Len.

and says "Hey, they got a report of MG fire, and officer bozo is responding" do we

-Mike

Especially when you consider that Eddie had an altercation with off-duty Officer Bozo two days before the incident...

Agreed, Len.

-Mike

Oh really? Never heard of "local politics" being admissable in a court of law.

We live under Mass General Laws and either you are in compliance or you are not. The whims of a local cop is not law and will be struck down in a court of law. Been there, done that. You too are intimidated judging by the content of your post.

The point I'm geting at is, if you allow officer douche bag to run rough shod over you ......he will.

Been doing that very thing for twenty years now. It has never hindered my application or renwal for either a class A unrestricted LTC or my machinegun license. Falsely arrested for that very reason.

Matter of fact, I make sure I write it in large lettering on my application "FALSELY ARRESTED FOR POSSESSION OF AN ILLEGAL MACHINEGUN" so that it is not missed. A false arrest is not my doing or under my control....it shows the ineptness of the police department involved and is not a blemish on my record. Its actually a badge of honor in my eyes.

I never wanted a machinegun license until they tried to f*** me.....now I wouldn't be without one.

You have "arrest" and "conviction" mixed up and it is curtailing your thinking and your fun.

Actually, I'm quite aware of the arrest/conviction difference. In my occupation, even a simple arrest for unlawful possession of a machinegun would raise a lot of eyebrows and could very well cost me a security clearance denial, thus my job. My LTC is another matter. Keep in mind that the issuance of an LTC is at the discretion of the local Police Chief. This type of arrest, even though no conviction occurred, could be the mitigating factor in a LTC denial. I respect your position, but this type of "badge of honor", ie: arrest, bail, defense costs, court costs, job loss, and who knows what else, comes at too high a price for me and my family. I'll stick to the stock semi-auto.

We live under Mass General Laws and either you are in compliance or you are not. The whims of a local cop is not law and will be struck down in a court of law. Been there, done that. You too are intimidated judging by the content of your post.

The point I'm geting at is, if you allow officer douche bag to run rough shod over you ......he will.

Evidently you've never dealt with a local Building Inspector...

Chris

Your handle fits well.

Though a color film, THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, based on the best-selling novel by George V. Higgins, is a throwback to the film noir tradition. It chronicles the last days of a weary Boston-based weapons dealer who becomes an informant for the police and the treasury department to avoid an extended prison sentence. This ultra-realistic depiction of the underworld is enhanced by flawless peformances, particularly the burnt-out cynicism of Robert Mitchum.

Why did you edit your post after the fact to include that?

Last edited:

No, I'm not intimidated, I just like choosing the path of least likely
resistance. You can fight these guys, and "win" but I hardly consider
a phyrric victory in MA a "win". The wins can come at considerable
personal cost. And very rarely is a "win" going to offer a
community benefit, as most of these bad chiefs will keep being reckless
because there is no penalty for them doing so. (for many of these
guys being taken to court over licensing issues is par for the course... and
they probably get to go to court and get paid for it, too, so they're not
dissuaded from it in the least!).

If you don't believe me ask the fellow in Brookline who was denied a license
because he had "disturbance" calls to his residence and was kicked out of the
public library by the PD because he was sitting in the wrong place. All
of these things came back to haunt him when he went to get an LTC. And
absolutely none of them have anything to do with statutory licensing
requirements. And that's just one example.... the lawyers on this
board can probably come up with dozens more. Some examples
one never sees because some people don't have the money to even
start the fight against the IA's .

There's these two nifty terms that bad issuing authorities and bad
chiefs can use to make your life a living hell as a gun owner in MA.... one is
called "Discretionary Issue" and the other one is "Unsuitable Person". Neither of
these items require "statutory violation" to be wielded against
you. Whoever issued your license essentially has your nuts in a
nutcracker due to these isssues, and he can press down on it whenever
he wants to without having a good reason to do so.

Even if you fight the IA/chief on these issues in court and win, all you've
won is a license. The IA is not penalized for trying to screw you over
in any way shape or form. They will continue to do it until the causative
person(s) are removed from their positions or retire.

Maybe you're blessed and know your chief personally and know that
he's not going to try to bone you, but most of the rest of us do not have
that luxury. And even in some cases where we do, often times, people
retire and move on. If a chief retires and then is placed with an anti
chief, you're essentially at the mercy of whoever the next guy
is.

I can understand your willingness to stand up for your
rights, but I believe that in MA the "net gain" of doing so on
every little possible infringement just has a bad cost/benefit ratio
attached to it. I've never had problems bump firing, but if I -KNEW-
with a fair amount of certainty someone was going to make a big stink about
it, I certainly wouldn't subject myself to being an active participant in a
pissing contest with a bad LEO. My (and others) point is, that staying
under the radar in this communist republic is generally a good thing.

Theres a big difference between MA and most other states
WRT guns... in other states gun rights can only be taken away via
statutory disqualifications, no ifs ands or buts. In MA your license
can be taken away on a whim, or it's renewal challenged, due to the
power granted to the IA's. In MA gun ownership/carriage is more of
a privledge than a right, at least in PRACTICAL, real terms. (Unless you
operate outside of the law.... [rolleyes] )

If I was an NH resident (or any other free state for that
matter) I would feel differently about this issue, and be talking in the
terms your using.... but my desire to own (and carry) guns unimpeded
in this state outweighs my desire to try to "prove a point" knowing that even i
f I win, it might be a high-cost "victory". Getting arrested and/or
tattled on to my IA is not my idea of a good time as an MA gun
owner... that's the only point I'm trying to make here.

-Mike

Last edited:
I carry concealed for a reason and it has nothing to do with keeping sheeple from being scared, it has to do with keeping a potential bad guy from knowing who's carrying and who's not. Open carry has nothing to do with pulling a trigger fast enough to sound automated like a machinegun.

My challenge to you has everything to do with your holier-than-thou attitude concerning how me and other posters should behave toward law enforcement officers.

I'm not asking you to open carry all the time; just to do it once as an experiment. I mean, open carry is not illegal, right? So it is within your rights to do it, correct? I'm challenging you to either back up your rhetoric, or see if you let "officer douche bag to run rough shod [sic] over you".

You seem more than willing to admonish us for what you consider to be "timid" behavior; advising us to confront the cops regardless of the cost or danger. Yes, danger - you did recommend - without fully understanding the circumstances - that I "demonstrate" bump firing an AK to a punk cop that has a problem with me. Remember, I did straighten out his boss a few days later. Evidently, that's not good enough for you. You would've thrown down "on the side of the road" to prove your point, rather than waiting another 72 hours to do it without the legal fees. Hey, it's your money, you can do what you want with it. I'm smarter than that.

You're pretty quick to criticize anybody that you imagine has allowed his rights to be violated, I'm curious to see if you'll back it up.

Last edited:
This type of arrest, even though no conviction occurred, could be the mitigating factor in a LTC denial.
For the sake of calibration of one's expectations, it is important to note that the MA courts have held that although revocation of an LTC for exercising one's right to remain silent when questioned about a crime may not be appropriate, the remedy for such a police action is not restoration of the LTC.

My challenge to you has everything to do with your holier-than-thou attitude concerning how me and other posters should behave toward law enforcement officers.

I'm not asking you to open carry all the time; just to do it once as an experiment. I mean, open carry is not illegal, right? So it is within your rights to do it, correct? I'm challenging you to either back up your rhetoric, or see if you let "officer douche bag to run rough shod [sic] over you".

You seem more than willing to admonish us for what you consider to be "timid" behavior; advising us to confront the cops regardless of the cost or danger. Yes, danger - you did recommend - without fully understanding the circumstances - that I "demonstrate" bump firing an AK to a punk cop that has a problem with me. Remember, I did straighten out his boss a few days later. Evidently, that's not good enough for you. You would've thrown down "on the side of the road" to prove your point, rather than waiting another 72 hours to do it without the legal fees. Hey, it's your money, you can do what you want with it. I'm smarter than that.

You're pretty quick to criticize anybody that you imagine has allowed his rights to be violated, I'm curious to see if you'll back it up.

I've fought and won more than my share of battles that have been brought to me by MA cops, chiefs and gun laws over the past three decades. If I have to comply with the laws of Massachusetts, you can bet I'm going to hold those who enforce them to the same standard.
As for your open carry challenge, I'll repeat myself....I carry concealed for a reason and it has nothing to do with keeping sheeple from being scared. If by chance the battle of open carry is brought to me by a cop who is ignorant of the law, I'll deal with it just as I've dealt with the others who have tried to illegally suppress my rights under the law.....and lost in court.

You're right, it is my money and I think I've spent it wisely. I don't ever go out shooting with the feeling that I have to be looking over my shoulder or vacate my shooting spot in fear of some ill informed idiot with a badge who thinks that I might be doing something wrong.

As for "bump firing".....Again, please cite the MGL that prohibits pulling a trigger on a semi auto rifle at a high rate of speed.

I've fought and won more than my share of battles that have been brought to me by MA cops, chiefs and gun laws over the past three decades.

I congratulate and thank you for fighting the good fight - sincerely, with no sarcasm intended.

My contention is simply that it was wiser for me to wait a couple of days to fix the problem than it was to go all "Burt Gummer" in a situation that would have gotten very ugly, very fast regardless of how I handled it.

The end result is the same: I can now bump-fire with impunity (well, as much as my ammo budget allows). What you call timidity, I call discretion. There were several extenuating circumstances that made my handling of that situation the absolute right way to go.

Oh yeah, and just for the record, I take offense at your sneaky, after-the-fact insertion of this bit:
Your handle fits well...

If you want to say something after I've responded to one of your posts, put it in a new one so that people reading the thread can see the progression. Don't sneak it back somewhere so it looks like I didn't call you on it.

Up until then, it was a fairly intelligent dicussion. There's no need to get personal. You don't know me and probably never will. Likening someone you don't know (other than reading a few paragraphs) to a gun-running stool pigeon is quite childish, don't you think? I'll take the high road and leave it at that.

Back
Top Bottom