Building an AR from an 80% Lower with Crap Tools

I've been sitting on a couple of TR Enabling 80% billet lowers for a couple of years now. I bought them with a jig, but never got up the nerve to do anything with them. I was waiting to find a buddy with a mill, or a build party, or just to find my balls.

So today I decided to go for it. I have a couple of other 80% lowers, so I figured I could afford to screw one up.

Here's my main reason for putting this off - my POS tabletop drill press. Also shown is the low-end jig that I bought with my first two lowers.

I didn't take any pictures during the 'milling' operation. Let's just say it wasn't pretty. I just held onto the jig and muscled it through, cutting about 1/8" at a time.

My biggest mistake (other than not using a mill) was using an end mill that has 2" of fluting. I ended up digging into the jig a bit, which led to my biggest screw-up of the project.

As you can see, I got into the pocket for the rear takedown pin detent. I cut out enough material that the detent would pop out of place as I slid in the takedown pin. I fixed this screwup by cutting a new detent, about 3/4" long, out of a drill bit. The new detent is long enough to ride in the botched hole, and works great.

Other than that, it all went together pretty easily.

Like I said, it ain't pretty inside, but it seems to function just fine. We'll have to wait and see what live fire does to it.

outstanding, hopefully more builds to come! Tools and skill accumulate with time, any mistake you are making is a good learning experience since you figure out what went wrong and will watch out for it in the future. Bang is a bang.

For what you're working with - at least you got it all assembled and in one piece. I was at Golddiggie's build party, boy was it nerve racking. It's definitely a valuable learning experience. Consider it a notch in your belt.

Last edited:
hey man, good on you for trying it out! "Doing" means a lot more than "considering" and I can say, they get better with practice.

Hard to tell in the photos . Dose the trigger pin/ safety hole have a steel guide ?
I'm very tempted to buy this jig even tho I have a mill.

In one of the threads on the other board, they mention how the side plates are flippable, so if you happened to wear out one of the holes, you could flip the plate and get a fresh set.

That was one thing that struck me in their demo video - the guy drilling the side holes with a hand drill seemed to be very unsteady.

In one of the threads on the other board, they mention how the side plates are flippable, so if you happened to wear out one of the holes, you could flip the plate and get a fresh set.

That was one thing that struck me in their demo video - the guy drilling the side holes with a hand drill seemed to be very unsteady.

I could add harden steel inserts. I don't really seeing me doing a bunch of 80% but for a few odd ball builds I'm gonna do this would be great .

That is pretty slick. They appear to have made it virtually idiot proof. I like the jig for setting the depth stops.

I was talking about this shit forever ... $50 router + 1/4" milling bit work magic on Ali, you just need to hold on tight. Obviously finish isn't that great, but gives a ****. The only thing I'd add to this is a vac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to tell in the photos . Dose the trigger pin/ safety hole have a steel guide ?
I'm very tempted to buy this jig even tho I have a mill.

When asked about that on gunco, this was Modulus' reply.

"Good eyes, sir! Yes the side plates are actually the exact same unit and have 2x the needed holes so they can be used for 2x the amount as other people's jigs.

We really don't think you need still bushings. You can make dozens of lowers with this and if you need more than that I will give you free side plates."

If you can hold off just a little, We are putting together a GB.

May be a dumb question but are you saying a regular group buy or a community buy?

I would definitely be interested in a group buy. I have a bunch of 80's just begging to be drilled.

Damn, years ago it woulda been a bunch of 20's begging to be drilled. Funny how our priorities change.

May be a dumb question but are you saying a regular group buy or a community buy?

I would definitely be interested in a group buy. I have a bunch of 80's just begging to be drilled.

Damn, years ago it woulda been a bunch of 20's begging to be drilled. Funny how our priorities change.

I wish we could get a loaner tool section setup. I lend my tools out all the time. You break it you buy it .

I wish we could get a loaner tool section setup. I lend my tools out all the time. You break it you buy it .

Yeah, I agree. It would be good to have a few guys spread out. I am on the Cape, you're up northeast.

I am the type that will always buy my own and then lend them out. I do have to replace a couple of my AK tools I trashed. Gonna build my '74 over the winter.

Yeah, I agree. It would be good to have a few guys spread out. I am on the Cape, you're up northeast.

I am the type that will always buy my own and then lend them out. I do have to replace a couple of my AK tools I trashed. Gonna build my '74 over the winter.

If you got a press , http://akbuildingtools.com/COMBO.html

Best bang for the buck . I think I'm going to up grade to this . My other rivets tools are toth .

No press, no room for it. I got all Toth. I had a few problems and f-ed up a couple things but it was my fault not the tools.

Back
Top Bottom