Bug out... What do you need?

Lately I have begun to think more about evacuation kits. So I thought that I would bring back the tread.

I the event that something should happen I want my family to be mobile. I also want guns for both protection and hunting. I want to be able to hide and/or be found.

Here’s what I got ready so far.

Fishing pole and fake worms that can catch most species of fish.

I don't know how much a SHTF situation would impact water and fish, but you may want to consider something for panfish like small hooks, split shot, and spinners. I can get a pile of perch and blue gills faster and easier than a beefy bass just by using split shot and small hooks with something natural on the end. When I used to catch perch to use for smallmouth bass bait at the cape ponds, we used to get schools swarming by the boat simply by tossing out bits of bread.

I saw a show on Discovery, I think. It was talking about the volcano in the Canary Islands that has a major crack at the top of the ridge. About 2 miles of hillside (I forgot the total weight they calculated, but suffice it to say it's a $hitload) at some point will slide off into the sea and the entire east coast of the US is gonna get swamped by a 100 ft. high tsunami, along with multiple other big waves. Needless to say I've done more in packing my BOB than I had before. Granted, it might hold for another 100 years, but ya never know.

One thing I found was an emergency crank radio at Wal-mart for $14.97. I got a couple of them. We've already picked up a couple gas masks for each of us, and I've got canned food...boy have I got canned food! Whenever I see things that I know we might need or use, I get it and put it with the rest of the stuff. There's still some things that I'm missing or short on, but I'm working on them.

And another question. I have my BOBs nearly ready, with multiple versions in the two vehicles (which would be moved to the SUV).

But we're always talking about guns and ammo - go figure. But how much is too much. If we have to carry it, even a couple hundred rounds is heavy.

Unless the hordes are sweeping across the Charles, I have no place to go that's not an hours drive on the pike.

So how much is "enough"? (rethorical, I"m sure).

I saw a show on Discovery, I think. It was talking about the volcano in the Canary Islands that has a major crack at the top of the ridge. About 2 miles of hillside (I forgot the total weight they calculated, but suffice it to say it's a $hitload) at some point will slide off into the sea and the entire east coast of the US is gonna get swamped by a 100 ft. high tsunami, along with multiple other big waves.

I saw that too.....It made me a little nervous to say the least.....

And another question. I have my BOBs nearly ready, with multiple versions in the two vehicles (which would be moved to the SUV).

But we're always talking about guns and ammo - go figure. But how much is too much. If we have to carry it, even a couple hundred rounds is heavy.

Unless the hordes are sweeping across the Charles, I have no place to go that's not an hours drive on the pike.

So how much is "enough"? (rethorical, I"m sure).

Well... figure on packing at LEAST two spare mags for your handgun and you can just put them on your belt. Boxes of ammo go into the bags, maybe in an outer pocket? That way you can jettison when it starts to get too heavy.

But four boxes... yeah, that sounds good.

Me, I've got 5 8 round mags for the 1911 (1 in the gun, two on the belt, two in my back pocket), so I figure that 41 rounds should see me on my way. Doesn't hurt to have another couple boxes handy, though.

If one is humping by ground, it depends on a few things, I'd guess...

-The max weight you can carry
-The percieved level of "danger/risk" (eg, theres a big difference in
aftermath when comparing a localized catastrophe to something where
a major city gets flattened. If a terrorist for some bizarre reason
decides to ltouch off a dirty bomb in small town usa instead of
Boston, the problem is going to be a lot smaller in scope. ( However
unlikely, it's not impossible... especially given the difference in "security"
between a huge city and a small town. )
-Where you're going with the cargo. Things are a lot different if
you have a plan.

Another thing is... while I believe a rifle is better, I think in a lot of these
situations, especially initially, one is more likely to use/need a handgun,
due to accessibility and concealment factors. It all depends on what your
plan is. If you already have a preset bug-out location, it might even
be desireable just to park a rifle/mags/ammo/some supplies
there in advance. This would allow you to travel lightly and get to that
location quicker. Course, I'm running under the assumption here
that a car is unavailiable and you can only use a bicycle or have to go on
foot. If a car is availiable, I'd be carrying as much ammo as I possibly
could pack.

Personally my absolute minimum would be like a handgun and 5 mags of
ammo. (with one of those being in the gun with a round in the pipe).

-Mike

Last edited:
Ham Slam said:
Lately I have begun to think more about evacuation kits. So I thought that I would bring back the tread.

Good! You've started to think, and that's the most important part. The more you think, the more items you will come up with that will make your departure better, and more survivable.

Ham Slam said:
Does anyone have any advice? Again, I want to be mobile enough to hike/hide.

Oh... Where to begin... Let's take my BOB for instance. I have been working on it for a couple of years now, and it is a constantly evolving extension of my thoughts. I think you will find that as time goes on, you will be thinking, and re-thinking what you have, and what else you need, as well as ditching some items as you go. For instance, my BOB started as a 2 strap top loading G.I duffel bag. I had everything in there from propane lantern to a propane cook stove. Emergency candles, paracord, towels, clothes, fire starting aids, and the list could go on and on. Once packed, I think it weighed somewhere around 65lbs. That weight for me is manageable, but I would not make decent time with it. Plus it was missing some VERY important items, like FOOD AND WATER!

Now my pack is MUCH lighter. I ditched a BUNCH of items that I didn't need, and I upgraded the pack to something that will not only hold all of the things I need, but gives me the added benefit of an internal frame, REAL straps for my shoulders, MOLLE system for attaching additional pouches to the outside of the pack, and a hydration bladder. I will have to disassemble my pack sometime and take some pictures of whats in it, but to run through the list briefly this is what I have...
6X8 tarp
2 part sleeping bag
3 pair boot socks
pair under-ware
BDU pants
Thermal socks
T-shirt
Long sleeve T-shirt
Military poncho
3 Large contractor bags 3mil
Thermal top and bottoms
2.5 liter hydration bladder
Camp axe
200' roll 550 cord
First aid kit
Multi Tool
Fire starting supplies
Stainless mess kit
Stainless mug
Utensils
Toiletries - TP, Tooth brush, tooth paste, soap, pre-moistened towels
Tri-fold shovel
4 MRE entrées
4-2 person Mountain House meals
MRE heaters
4 Power bars
Compass

I'm sure I missed a couple of items, but I think you get the idea. You see, a BOB is just that. It's something that you have, that's ready to go at a moments notice. Figure you have 5-15 minutes to get the hell outta dodge, you need to be able to grab your BOB, weapons, ammo, and be gone. You should figure on having enough supplies on you that in the event you are NEVER able to return, you can make it until you reach your destination. That being said, if you should not need items as you go, you can either ditch them, or bury them to return for later, but you should figure on worse case scenario, that once you leave, you can't come back.

Ham Slam said:
I have no need for comfort items like extra clothes, shovels, pillows, and condoms that shits for wimps. I'll sleep on a rock and dig with my hands.

I think you should reconsider that last statement. Lets say it starts to rain, you get wet, what the hell are you gonna do for dry clothes? If the ground is frozen, and you have to dig a hole you think you will do it by hand? Of course you would not bring your pillow, but you do need to realize that some comfort items will not only make your journey survivable, but will lift your spirits enough to allow you to push on.

I guess the most important thing for ANY bug-out gear is to make sure you test it out. That's something I have been thinking about for some time now. I would like to get a couple of people together, and drive to NH into the mountains. Park the car, grab my bug-out gear and walk a day into the woods, camp out with only what I have on my back, then the next day hike all the way back out again. I think it would be a good exercise to see exactly what you can handle for weight comfortably, and also give you a little different perspective on what you can live without, or what you would like to add...

First aid kit
Multi Tool
Fire starting supplies
Stainless mess kit
Stainless mug
Utensils
Toiletries - TP, Tooth brush, tooth paste, soap, pre-moistened towels
Tri-fold shovel
4 MRE entrées
4-2 person Mountain House meals
Very interesting list, Adam... I'm going to reread this at home and use it as a basis for a bag of my own.

Questions - What type of fire starting supplies? (matches, lighters, magnesium?)
What brand multi-tool?
Utensils? Typical scout pack, knife, fork, spoon?
MREs - whole MRE or just the entree?

Very interesting list, Adam... I'm going to reread this at home and use it as a basis for a bag of my own.

Questions - What type of fire starting supplies? (matches, lighters, ?)
What brand multi-tool?
Utensils? Typical scout pack, knife, fork, spoon?
MREs - whole MRE or just the entree?

Like I said, I most likely missed a couple of things, I was just going by memory. But it should give you some things to think about.

Fire starting supplies... It includes

Waterproof Matches
Fire Starters
Magnesium fire starter
2 Bic lighters (I roll up some paper, and place it so the valve cannot be pressed down, then electrical tape it in place)
Small zip-loc with dryer lint, and some dry shredded bark (tinder)
The multi tool is one that I have had for many years. It has a plastic coated handle (safer for electric stuff) and it was pretty inexpensive, but has served me well.
The utensils are lexan, a simple knife, spoon, fork set. I think it ran $2.99 or so.
MRE entrees only. Honestly, you can do without the bulk that the other items in the MRE give you.
Oh yeah I almost forgot.. I keep about a dozen or so of those coffee bags that look like tea bags. A little caffeine will go a long way when you're tired. Also I keep a small bottle of caffeine pills in the firs aid kit.

Adam, thanks for your help, and good list as well. It gave me some good ideas to build on.

I am thinking that I would need enough stuff for about 72 hours in the woods or car. Caffeine pills and coffee bags are a great idea.

Has anyone done any research on water purification, or have any suggestions?

Also, why don’t you have any gas masks or anything like that? I just thinking about the kind of situation that would force me out of my house and into the woods and all I can think about is a bio attack.

I guess I am envisioning a lighter more mobile pack, one that would still allow me to carry my daughter if needed. That’s why I am not packing things like pots and shovels. I want to be able to run or jog with it.

You can dig a hole with your hands. I have plenty of times. Sometimes I use a stick or rock to help.

But I think you are right I will at least need one pair of extra clothes.

As far as gas mask and such, Chances are that if that threat exists I will try to shelter in place. If I do have to go, that bag of gear gets added to my BOB. As for in the bag, like I said I was pretty sure I forgot to list some things. I did forget to list the N95 Particulate Respirator and Surgical Masks that are in there. This type of mask is portable, and will suffice for anything up to chemical. The reason I don't have my Israeli M15 mask in there is space. For you to pack that mask, it has to have the packing frame inside it so it will keep it's shape and not get distorted. That takes space, and allot of it. Plus, the standard NATO 40mm filter is only good for 24hrs of use. If you have to take the mask off for any reason, the filter will also be compromised. The filters in their sealed packaging are also not small or compact at all.
Of course you can dig a hole by hand, but what if you have to make camp, and hid there for a couple of days? I don't think you would want to attract the type of wild life that will come to check out your "dumping ground". A small garden type trowel would be better than nothing. Also, if you need to have a fire, but keep it low key and unseen, digging a pit, and having the fire inside the pit will make it MUCH more inconspicuous. As for water purification, I do have some of the purification tablets in my pack, and will be getting a Katadyn filter for my pack as well.

Just some food for thought...

Not everything has to go into your pack at all times. There is also a school of thought that believes in Fractal Packing. Basically, you would have a big tote of all the crap you could possibly want. You throw it into your car and beat feet. If you have to leave your car, you open the tote and your more important things would be in a pack. You take the pack and beat feet. If you need to ditch your pack, you again open your pack and there would be a smaller pack inside that has the absolute bare essentials. You grab that and ditch the bigger pack....

That is great stuff.

Funny how I didn't even think about bring both a big and a small bag.

I am going to update and rethink.

I put my bug out bag together about a year ago and I haven't touch it since that time other then to move it about in the back of my SUV. It's a little heavy, but I wouldn't want to get rid of anything in it so I will hump it as needed I guess. The thing is I don't have any spare clothing in it. It's not big enough for that. Currently have

Wet weather poncho and pants
Thin tarp
1 Box 50 rnds 45acp
Military Survival Manual
First Aid Kit
3 Days Coast Guard rations of food and water
First Aid kit
Shake up for power flash light
Marine Survival knife
Small hydration bladder
Water purification tablets
Magnesium
Wind/waterproof matches
Compass
Old military Mess Kit
Bic lighter
sewing kit
50' twine
200' rope
rope type saw
all stuffed into an assault type Molle pack. I can add more, but it's heavy enough as it is.

I do keep a plastic grocery bag with clothing to change into if needed. So I guess I will have two sets available if needed. Bag has Jeans, underwear, socks, thermal underwear, long sleeve T shirt, heavy sweat shirt and a polar fleece along with a pair of hiking boots.

I should probably go through the bag to make sure everything is in working order.

$.02 more here.

Some of the soft goods going into a BOB can be both protected and reduced in size if you have one of those vacuume seal food storage appliances. The bags come on a roll and you cut them to size as needed.

I keep a spare set of dry clothes sealed up this way in my truck. Also it's a good way to keep small items all in one place for an extended time if you won't be using them on a regular basis.

+1 on the Katadyn filter & Fractal Packing there Adam_MA !

Also on filtration, "Water filter straws", a quick google gets this:
survival-water-filter-straw.jpg

Speaking of masks... don't know about you Adam but I'm keeping a razor on hand because the first thing to go should I have the need for a mask with tight fit is my goatee. Doing auto body work I can tell you that masks and facial hair don't mix for airborn chemicals. Dust is ok, but vapors and mists get through a little bit.

One more thing I haven't seen mentioned that I have plenty of is ammo bandoliers. Its much easier to sling an SKS stripper clip bandolier over my shoulder or strap it across my chest like its meant to be carried than stuffing boxes of 7.62x39 or stripper clips in a bag. Plus it keeps rounds from falling off and getting lost.
Hell, if I was carrying a Mosin like Nickle mentioned a while back when this thread first started, I'd even use the ammo pouch that came with my Mosin accessories. Never know when collectable could become tactical and useful.

Magnesium fire starter
2 Bic lighters (I roll up some paper, and place it so the valve cannot be pressed down, then electrical tape it in place)
Small zip-loc with dryer lint, and some dry shredded bark (tinder)

Ed's got a Magnesium fire starter. Dryer lint works really good, as well as steel wool. He started a few fires on our weekends away (Civil war events) using the fine steel wool. It worked the nuts!

Speaking of masks... don't know about you Adam but I'm keeping a razor on hand because the first thing to go should I have the need for a mask with tight fit is my goatee.

Good point! As a matter of fact, I have my gas mask, in a box with 6 or so replacement NBC rated filters. Inside that box, I also have a disposable razor 3 pack. Right now I am wearing a full beard, and getting a mask to seal properly would be impossible.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of gas mask to you have and where did you get it from? Also, did you get a NBC suit to go with the gas mask as well.

I've been thinking of adding this to my home preperation equipment, but am unsure what to get.

Lastly, did you get those pills that are supposed to block nuclear absorpsion?

I don't mind at all... The mask I have is the Israeli M15 mask. I chose this mask for a couple of reasons. First it accepts the standard 40MM NATO filters, it has a built in voicemitter so you people can actually hear what you are saying, and it has a built in hydration system. You just have to make sure you get the canteen cap with tube, and it plugs into the side of the mask. There is a tube that sits right in front of your mouth that you can drink from. I got mine from Ebay. If you were to get this mask new, you could expect to pay around $150 for just the mask. I found a deal that had a new mask, 6 new sealed NBC rated filters, canteen adapter with tube, and canteen. I got the deal for only $50. Each one of the filters will run around $30-$40, so I think I did pretty well. Looks like the same guy I got mine from has the deal again. Here Good guy to deal with, and I would buy from him again.
As for the NBC suit, right now I only have a couple of the heavy duty Tyvek suits. I will be getting one of the surplus charcoal lined suits, but around hunting season they are impossible to find.

The Potassium Iodate you speak of is a good thing to have on hand. They don't protect your entire body from radiation, but rather your thyroid gland. The greatest risk from radiation release following a nuclear power plant accident or detonation of a nuclear weapon is from iodine131. This isotope of iodine is one of the products of uranium fission. The problem is that this isotope of iodine is concentrated by the body in one spot: the thyroid. Thus, the thyroid gets a much heavier radiation dose than any other part of the body. In the years following the 1986 Chernobyl accident, thyroid cancer is the only cancer to have seen a significantly increased incidence, and the increase in thyroid cancer there is huge. The World Health Organization estimates that a third of the children in parts of Belarus will develop thyroid cancer.

A good option for carrying stuff is a Tactical Vest. Cheaper than Dirt sells them for around $30. You can keep your loaded mags, firestarter, knife, multi-tool, small first aid kit, and a few $$$ in the vest. Put it on before grabbing your BOB and your're halfway ready. Opens up room for more stuff in the BOB too.

One thing, though. Keep the vest home unless you're really in a SHTF situation, or you are on a SWAT or tactical response team. We really don't want to see you in it on the range...[thinking]

My BOB has been evolving over the past year. It has :

A good MSR water filter - katrina taught me that.
A hand crank radio.
A good fat 1st aid kit.
..... lacking any of those is worse than foolish.

There is also a 10x12 blue poly tarp still factory folded 'cause they never get small again after opening them , and a few large contractor grade plastic trash bags.

50 feet of paracord.

A large utility/fighting knife ( Cold Steel tanto )
A leatherman Wave
a small diamond sharpener

A bic lighter , and a magnesium fire starter block.
A pair of those crinkly mylar space blankets.
A compass , a tiny pair of binoculars and several regional maps ( new England area ).

Spare eyeglasses and contact lens stuff.

A dozen Powerbar brand "food" bars.

Some other random trinkets ...

The guns and ammo thing is a seperate load. ...

A bug out needs a plan. First, do you have a destination? Don't think that just bugging out is the answer, you will be one of many at some FEMA camp. Have a place to go. It might be a friends house or a relative but HAVE A DESTINATION. Next figure out how long it will take to get there. This will determine the level of supplies you require. Your destination may take you 2 hours to drive to. But what if the roads are clogged or even unpassable. Have a secondary route planned out and bring a good map.

Once at your location, can you support your group? Stores will be hit very hard for food and supplies so don't think you can just run to the 7/11 for milk and eggs. You may want to leave some supplies at your destination prior to any event.

Alot of folks consider a bugot bag no more than a emergency 72 hr kit. While that may work you really should build a kit in accordance with a plan. Don't think you can take your AR and 5k of ammo. What if you end up on foot?

Think the basics first:
Food
Water (enough for the trip at least)
Extra gasoline
Good spare tire (not a donut)
Any prescription meds
First aid kit
fire starter

Next,handy things:
Axe
a handgun w/a couple hundred rounds of ammo
a battery powered radio (crank powered is even better)
Cell phone
Bank books, deeds, all family records
duct tape
Plastic sheeting

Finally,if room permits
Camping equipment
Games or books to keep the kids busy
A rifle w/ammo

Depending on the time of year and your PLAN you may need to modify the basics but try to keep it to the minimum.

Also get some info on protecting yourself from radiation. If you find out a dirty bomb has gone off the roads might already be clogged and you may have to bug in. In most cases the radiation will dissapate within a few days and if you have a basement you may well be able to fortify it to keep you and yours safe.

Last edited:
One thing that came to mind while reading these posts was I am just too naive to think I don't need some kind of kit. The more I read the more I thought about creating one. Here is my issue. I noticed that many of you put the gear in a pack of some sort but the contents of these packs are similar from person to person. My question is what does the rest of your family do for supplies? Do you have a pack for the wife and kids set aside as well?

My question is what does the rest of your family do for supplies? Do you have a pack for the wife and kids set aside as well?

Yep. Bags in the house for each of us and bags in the cars for both of us (just my wife and I) [smile] .

All easily transferable to the SUV, along with other storage items. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom