Bug out... What do you need?

OK!
First a BIG thank you to Derek for adding this forum! I do appreciate your efforts!

OK,
Here's the scenario:
Dirty bomb/backpack nuke is found to be in the city of Boston, and the detonation is eminent. You know you need to beat feet and get yourself farther away from the fall-out. All hell is gonna be breaking loose VERY soon. You grab your bug-out supplies and are in the car and off to your pre-determined bug-out location.

What should be in those bug-out supplies?

I would like to hear 'realistic' answers. Things that you are likely to have in your stash, things that most folks can afford to have stored away, how much of what you need to have at the ready.

I will post another topic for 'Bug-in' readiness.

PLEASE, PLEASE, this is a VERY important topic to me, as it should be to all. The threat of this type of attack is a VERY real threat. If you don't think you need to have any supplies ready, then I will be happy to see you in another life, but either way LETS STAY ON TOPIC.

Thanks
Adam

I would think that you would want to pick up a case of MREs or something. It can't hurt to have high calorie food that can last for a log time. Things that are easy to open and don't require a lot of tools such as a can.

Mabey a can or few of caned heat.

I would think some sort of Water Purifer, maybe a pump model. Iodine tablets...but not if you're allergic to shellfish.

I saw some of those radioactive tablets on sale at CVS. Supposed to help if you're exposed.

Top of the list. Canned food and P-38 type can openers. Unlike MRE's, cans may be washed to eliminate contamination.

I'd want to be armed, possibly a handgun, definitely a bolt action MILSURP like a Mosin Nagant and lots of ammo. Bolt guns have very little legal issues, that's why a bolt gun.

A small stove, like a Whisper Lite International, jetted to burn Pump grade Gasoline. A couple of small pots, and cooking utensils. A knife, large enough to clean game.

A Game plan of WHERE to go. In the case of a dirty bomb in Boston, that wouldn't need to be far at all. The prevailing winds would carry most of the contamination out to sea.

I lived in Michigan and since my truck had a lockable toolbox in the back I had in it: Lightweight Eureka Tent, North Face mummy sleeping bag rated at 10F or so, matches, lighter, extra blankets and change of clothes, a small bag of dryer lint (great for use to help get your fire started), some canned food w/ pop off top and a can opener, as well as a basic first aid kit in a old army ammo can. In my cab I have a large maglite flashlight as well as a multi tool.

As far as grabbing it would be my .243 for hunting and my AR for camp protection. No handgun....yet. Also would probably throw in my fishing gear and bowhunting stuff. Seems like a lot but a lot of my camping gear was for backpack camping. Maybe I'd pick up a water purifer and a newer, better knife.

I didn't mention an Axe, a Saw and an E-Tool, since those are staple survival items in my vehicles anyways. But, you should have them, with some rope at all times.

We have an evacuation kit all packed up. Along with all the basics, I included a copy of my house Deed, a copy of the whole family's birth certs and copies of all my bank accounts. I replace those monthly so I have pretty current proof of current worth. Those papers are in a zip lock storage bag. It doesnt hurt to go get a duplicate drivers license and make a copy of your current LTC and have those in the same pack. There is already an envelope with a certain amount of cash.

I have a place I can go up in Conway NH so I would head that way if I could. Of course if the reason for bugging out was hostile, a side arm, and my AR would join me at a minimum. I have plenty of ammo for my AR and 1000's of rounds for my .45 and .40.

Wife keeps the house pretty stocked up with canned goods and bottled water so you know that would go. I dont think anything would happen here that the Government couldnt get back under control within a month.

I guess that brings up another question...

How much ammo should you try to keep on hand at all times for the guns you would be taking along on a possible bug-out? I try to keep as much on hand as I can, but should you keep an extra 1000 rounds at all times and not touch it?

Adam

Nickle said:
Looks a little steep for what you get.

I agree, however for most people, one convenient place to have all of there stuff, not have to do much in the way of thinking about what they need to buy and keep in stock. It's also nice that it all comes packaged in that bucket and easy to grab.

Adam

Rifle ammo - No less than 1000 rounds per rifle, and rotate your stock. Part of why I prefer a Mosin Nagant is the ammo available in Spam Cans. 7.62x39 is also available like this.

Adam_MA said:
I try to keep as much on hand as I can, but should you keep an extra 1000 rounds at all times and not touch it?

Something I've always wondered when seeing this type of question posted on other sites, is exactly what kind of ammo are people stocking up on?

In other words, there'a a BIG price difference between bulk FMJ ball ammo and "The Good Stuff" ... The loads I keep in my home defense weapon work out to be a little over a buck a round. It would be a costly proposition to stock up thousands of rounds of that.

ArmedMainer said:
Nickle said:
7.62x39 is also available like this.
I'd love to find a place to buy some of this without refinancing my house. Alot of good places online but they won't ship to MA. This is good stuff to have stashed...just in case. [twisted]

Got friends in NH? Or, wait until Cabela's comes in, or go to one. Gander Mountain also sells bulk ammo. Prices won't be as high as you think.

Nickle said:
ArmedMainer said:
Nickle said:
7.62x39 is also available like this.
I'd love to find a place to buy some of this without refinancing my house. Alot of good places online but they won't ship to MA. This is good stuff to have stashed...just in case. [twisted]

Got friends in NH? Or, wait until Cabela's comes in, or go to one. Gander Mountain also sells bulk ammo. Prices won't be as high as you think.
I see your shooting an SKS too. I've got a Norinco still packed in cosmoline. I want to give it to my wife for home defense. It would be good for her because of the low recoil. What brand and what type do you prefer in your SKS?? I'd love to get soft points or hollow points but don't know if they'd feed properly. Thanks.

I have a Chinese SKS and a Romanian AK. I've found over time that the best ammo to get is Russian. Get the FMJ or Hollow Points, avoid the soft points. If you want hunting ammo, buy Remington or Winchester in this caliber, or custom handloads.

Wolf and Barnaul are the best of that, non-corrosive, cheap and usually easy to find. The last few months, it's been hard to find, though. Cabela's has it, but you might have to travel to one. Gander Mountain may have it in stock, but again, you'll probably have to travel to one.

Oops, sorry, you live in Maine. No problem, order it from Cabela's. They had 640 rd cans (I call them SPAM Cans) of it for about $80 shipped.

Nickle said:
I have a Chinese SKS and a Romanian AK. I've found over time that the best ammo to get is Russian. Get the FMJ or Hollow Points, avoid the soft points. If you want hunting ammo, buy Remington or Winchester in this caliber, or custom handloads.

Wolf and Barnaul are the best of that, non-corrosive, cheap and usually easy to find. The last few months, it's been hard to find, though. Cabela's has it, but you might have to travel to one. Gander Mountain may have it in stock, but again, you'll probably have to travel to one.

Oops, sorry, you live in Maine. No problem, order it from Cabela's. They had 640 rd cans (I call them SPAM Cans) of it for about $80 shipped.
Thanks Nickle, I'll check them out. I've seen 1000 rd packages for $99. Not positive but I think it was Wolf. The shipping might not be bad if you bought a few packages. My wife and I are leaving for a week vacation in Tennessee in a few days. Maybe I'll find some good deals down there?

Nickle said:
The supplier I know in Tennesee is Natchez, and they're out of Wolf. Maybe stop by a Cabela's in your travels? Or a Gander Mountain?
There's a Cabela's in PA. not too far from the intersection of Rt84 and Rt 81. I went to the website and the picture it shows of the place makes it look huge. I'll have to call them and ask them if they'd sell to a non-resident. When we were down there last year we went to Wlidner's [SP} reloading supply in Johnson City. It was a wasted trip. There's a place in the NW part of the state in Union City. I think it's called something like Southern Shooting Supply. I used to get their catalogs but I'm having a brain cramp now and I'm not sure of the name. They had good prices and a decent store. If it wasn't so far I'd love to check them out. After I get my new press set-up I'll start buying ammo again for the calibers I don't reload. 7.62X 39 will be my first big purchase. I'll check out the Nanchez website and see if we're going to be near there. Thanks for chiming in Adam_MA !!

Cabela's ships to non-residents, so, why not. I didn't know that Widener's won't do business with non-resident walk-ins. We buy a moderate amount of stuff from them, but, they've been out of stock on surplus powder and 7.62x39 lately.

Nickle said:
Cabela's ships to non-residents, so, why not. I didn't know that Widener's won't do business with non-resident walk-ins. We buy a moderate amount of stuff from them, but, they've been out of stock on surplus powder and 7.62x39 lately.
Widener's will do business with walk-ins. I was talking about Cabela's in PA. I don't know alot about the laws in PA. that's why I said that. If you'd ever been in Widener's you wouldn't be surprised they were out of stock of anything. Their showroom is tiny and all it has in it is a couple of their out-dated catalogs. If they do have what you want it's always more expensive than what it says in their catalog. We left without buying a thing. I'm fortunate enough to belong to a decent R%G club where buying components doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. No haz-mat fees,shipping,or tax. Load me up baby !! :D

My cousin, on a trip back from FL stopped in at the Cabellas in PA and picked up a bunch of stuff including some ammo.

Adam

Lately I have begun to think more about evacuation kits. So I thought that I would bring back the tread.

I the event that something should happen I want my family to be mobile. I also want guns for both protection and hunting. I want to be able to hide and/or be found.

Here’s what I got ready so far.

45 ACP
30-06 with scope
12 and 20 gauge. 20 is more for hunting varmints and birds
handheld GPS
Marine flares in wake of James Kim
Various canned goods
A tent
Blankets
Fishing pole and fake worms that can catch most species of fish.
Knifes

Does anyone have any advice? Again, I want to be mobile enough to hike/hide.

Here are some things that I have been thinking about that I could use some advice on.

Gas masks need them or not?
Chemical protections suits need them or not?
Radiation pills potassium chloride

I have no need for comfort iteams like extra clothes, shovels, pillows, and condoms that shits for wimps. I'll sleep on a rock and dig with my hands.

Back
Top Bottom