• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bug out bags.... and the guns you put in them

Not to be too crazy… if you have storage caches ..It’s always good to have several decoy ones

Not to be too crazy… if you have storage caches ..It’s always good to have several decoy ones
Half an hour ago I watched a gray squirrel out the front window
fake-bury a non-existent acorn. (It's settled science that
the little bastards do that just to screw with any other squirrels
who may be watching to steal what was just buried).

The squirrel was so hardwired that not only did he
pretend to pat down the dirt that he had pretended to dig up,
but he stood up to look around, and kept moving his paws -
he patted down the tips of the blades of grass. [shocked]

In my “fantasy”. Which I hope happens ill have a new vehicle with tracks or some of these universal tracks you drive onto. Incase I get snowed in…In an emergency I might not have time to plow a half mile of road to get out.But now that I think about it it’s all downhill so maybe just a sled will work…I also have enough Dunkeroos to last through winter.

Maybe you need a hover craft? I don’t know what kind of swap you’re going through
I saw one of those swamp tanks for sale down here

My wife wouldn't let me buy it :( i very much wanted one not for the end of the world but because they look fun as f***

Everybody acts like they’re going to get a 22 and live on the squirrel. It takes a pile of squirrel to make a proper dinner.. After 3 weeks…I need a drink of water.

I could live on five squirrels a month

Attachments

• 347B05AB-0FCE-4732-A8AD-073208372F79.jpeg
    347B05AB-0FCE-4732-A8AD-073208372F79.jpeg
    528.3 KB · Views: 14
Every bug out bag should include at least one 5 gallon bucket. Read the warning labels on a 5 gallon bucket about children drowning. A one third full 5 gallon bucket ..Might be the best trap on the planet.

I saw one of those swamp tanks for sale down here

My wife wouldn't let me buy it :( i very much wanted one not for the end of the world but because they look fun as f***

I Suggested a fan boat/hover craft because all the Amphibious vehicles suck.

Don’t even look into the “duck boats”

View: https://youtu.be/4DG7eKYB0s4

You just outed yourself. If you can drive through it with those tracks that I suggested, that’s not a real swamp.

Here in Massachusetts we have 13 classifications of wetlands. That’s not a swamp

Fly me down there I’ll walk it in my Birkenstocks

Don't take this the wrong way, even if it sounds like I'm busting your balls, because I'm not. Where are you going with all this stuff? Are you planning on riding out a disaster in the woods? Going to a safe spot, relatives or friend's house? I'm thinking if one were to go to a .gov sponsored "safe haven", they are going to tell you to leave your stuff at the gate.

Excellent job at having supplies ready to go though. I know a lot of people that don't even have a flashlight ready to go, because you know, they have one on their phone.

I'm fully bugging in not out I'm with you here what am i gonna do roam the country side with 1500 pounds of gear?

Hence why I'm buying tannerite and getting into wrist rockets.... gotta make it not worth coming to my house

You just outed yourself. If you can drive through it with those tracks that I suggested, that’s not a real swamp.

Here in Massachusetts we have 13 classifications of wetlands. That’s not a swamp

Fly me down there I’ll walk it in my Birkenstocks
Lol its not all swamp but it crosses 3 rivers and 1 national forest

One word… “Duct tape” It’s the only thing you need in your bug out bag..You could make your bug out bag out of the tape

I know it’s two words you get it It’s a joke?

Bugout to where...that is the 1st question. Once you KNOW where and have permission to arrive at that location (friend or family you should ask). Now maybe you should have some stock at that location before you have to bugout there. Next how do I get there...plan A, plan B, and oh crap. Think it through. At what point do you bugout, at what point is your current location not safe anymore. If you live in a city, I get it and yes you would need to leave before it goes completely to hell.

Now figure out your plans and that will help you decide what you need in your bugout bag. If you plan to start out driving then maybe a 2 tiered bugout bag is required. I can fill my truck up but if I have to abandon the truck and go on foot I should have the minimum I need in a pack that I can carry all day. Case in point, you are 40 years old and fairly active, how many miles per day can you walk on roads, how many if go cross country. I heard folks online talk to bugging out, they state that they walked most of the Appalachian trail but that was 15 years ago and they may not be in the same shape. I also hear folks say I was a Marine but that was 10 years ago I doubt you have marched all night for a long time. I am not being critical of anyone here but you need a destination and a plan to get there and then outfit yourself to make it. Once you have this figured out focus on the following:
1. Water - or a way to purify it
2. Shelter - depending on the time of year and weather this is huge, yes your vehicle is shelter but not good if you are on foot. Note -a way to start a fire is a good idea
3. Food
4. Basic medical kit
5. Fuel for vehicle
6. a good knife

Firearms are a nice to have but if all you have is your carry gun that is better than a sharp stick. Remember you have to carry everything you need

Too many confuse a get home bag with a bugout bag and they are quite different.

I am sure alot of folks might disagree with me that a firearm is not as important as a plan and that is fine...you do you.

I only suggest caches in this situation…Because they’re very unlikely to be discovered if it’s in a swamp..People in the city can’t do this kind of thing easily
Y’all in MA should cache loaded post-ban "hi-cap" mags at the I93 Northbound Welcome Center in Salem, NH. Just an ammo box behind a tree in the woods behind where the fence is down. 😉

Last edited:
I'm not quite that hard-core, but honestly? I think a daypack with my camelbak bladder in it, some Snickers bars and a couple of pairs of dry socks would do me fine for 72 hours unless it's midwinter.
If you carrying a heavy pack full of 72hr Get-Home sh*t, you need 2400kCal and 1/2gal water per day to hump it (that’s kind of circular logic). If you’re not, a LifeStraw and Milk Duds will do. Trying to suck the Milk Duds caramel out of your back teeth might keep your mind off wet feet and blisters the whole 72hr.

My first day at my new job... security orientation... guy goes no firearms of any kind allowed on the premise...knives too...i had just driven down from my nh house with 25 guns 2 plate carriers 50k rounds 20ish pocket knives... guy goes its time to search your car lets go

I go pale as hell

He goes nah im just f***ing with u its south ga here i know of a guy with at least 15 guns in his car right now. Just know corporate can jack u up for that. I was like wow 15 guns huh he goes yeah thats a little extreme... i was just like sure thats the word id use too...
Thats it? Come on man

I'm fully bugging in not out I'm with you here what am i gonna do roam the country side with 1500 pounds of gear?

Hence why I'm buying tannerite and getting into wrist rockets.... gotta make it not worth coming to my house
I'm lucky I live off the beaten path. I might see a car go down the road maybe once every two hours, and chances are I know who they are. I can't even remember the last time I saw a cop drive by. Except every day at 0600 and 1430, a statie drives by, probably her daily commute in.

I'm not going anywhere. A few close friends that I have know for over 30 years will work their way to the farm. They have a standing invite.

I'm lucky I live off the beaten path. I might see a car go down the road maybe once every two hours, and chances are I know who they are. I can't even remember the last time I saw a cop drive by. Except every day at 0600 and 1430, a statie drives by, probably her daily commute in.

I'm not going anywhere. A few close friends that I have know for over 30 years will work their way to the farm. They have a standing invite.
I gotta make friends down here but yeah I'm off the path still never hurts to have things that go boom

Y’all in MA should cache loaded post-ban "hi-cap" mags at the I93 Northbound Welcome Center in Salem, NH. Just an ammo box behind a tree in the woods behind where the fence is down. 😉
Old and Busted: New Hampshire Liquor Safety Rest Stop and Lotto Emporium.
The New Hotness: New Hampshire Liquor Safety Rest Stop, Lotto Emporium and Standard-Cap Mag Cache.

I gotta make friends down here but yeah I'm off the path still never hurts to have things that go boom
Yup, need some friends. I'm really not that social of a person, my job took care of that. But, you need friends to help out in case of emergencies. Just make sure they can pull their weight.

As far as things that go boom, that won't be an issue. I don't think it will matter anyways. The city people will sort themselves out.

I used to do that when I was in New Hampshire all the time…But post ban mags are so cheap I just give them away when I’m done using them….

With all the shit I got I don’t wanna worry about accidentally bringing a four dollar Magazine into The People republic of Massachusetts…

So general bug out bag info

I'm starting to build mine i have lots of shit in my house but if i got stuck at work that would be an awful walk through some fl swamp land so I'm building 2 essentially matching bags for my wife and i

I have knives food baby wipes screw drivers 9in pliers which are very useful if your not familiar water purification 1st aid kits sleeping bags markers flashlights chem lights para cord 5 min respirators gloves n95s fixed blade razor bug face nets

On order tents mirror some other stuff

I'm torn on the bug out gun situation

Thinking sr22 with 4 mags and 200 rounds

Could go lcp 22

Glock 42

Or pmr 30

And i roll with a cmr30 in my truck so that might go in mine but id like interoperability

This bag is to get home other wise id be rolling deep glock 17s ars and plate carriers
Didn't read the replies, so maybe someone covered this. Mainly, you need water. Period. Depending on how far you work from home, 1 or 2 MRE's if you are talking 30-60 miles. All that 'hardware' in your bag adds weight. When was the last time you walked more than a mile with 20 lbs on your back?

Plan on actually covering 10, maybe 20 miles in a day. I don't care how 'in shape' you are.

As for 'firearms', the whole point will be to avoid any interaction with ANYONE. More than likely, anyone armed will have you outnumbered and know the area of ambush better than you. Chances of survival, almost zero.

My experience? I chased people in the desert for 8 years. When you are trying to 'not be seen' you will move slower. You will have to double back and go around. When I evaced for Ida, I brought ONE pistol, one mag in it, and a big stick 33 rounder for the 'oh shit' that I couldn't avoid, I'm good with a pistol to 100 yards on a human sized target, but at those distances running is a better choice. I was driving a car and planned to use that as my weapon of choice, or my chance to GTFO. People die from lack of water way more than anything else when in bad situations. We burned through water faster than I ever imagined. I found groups with food for days, but no water, bodies all over the place, dead.

As for 'rolling deep' with AR's and plates, unless you are straight our of boot camp, that is weight you could use for food or the essential water. Maybe you could get away with one of those 'camp filters'. But that implies you find water no one else has found and isn't guarding. I never served in any infantry, but I've never heard a 'good' boot camp forced march in full battle rattle story.

Back
Top Bottom