Bug out bags.... and the guns you put in them

It just occurred to me that we'll be able to spot OP from afar
if the SHTF, because he will be the only guy in Florida with that much firepower
who is hoofing it 45 miles as opposed to carjacking the first person that drives by
and making them drop him off at the end of his block.

In the early 80's, a buddy from college/roommate/... who was Addicted To German Engineering
needed a replacement front suspension spindle for his wife's Beetle.

So we bailed out of an "engagement party" while we were back down in NNJ,
and headed to a VW junkyard so skeezy that you could see Rahway State Prison from there.

I mean, the guy's office was a shipping container,
and his office chair was a bucket seat mounted on the roof.

"We need a (front) (RH?) spindle".
"I got acres of Bugs, go find one and take it off".

We find one, but there's a pesky cotter pin holding some nut on.
"We need to get a cotter pin off; got pliers?"
"Here, use these needle nose".
We get back at it,
and my buddy busts off a few mm of the tip one of the pliers' jaws.

This was before I learned about things like
mark-ups and overhead and the customer is always right and Harbor Freight,
so I though we were gonna end up in a shallow grave.

Bring the spindle back, and...
"Here's your pliers and the spindle; what do we owe you?"

Names the price,
gets paid in cash,
we get the hell out of there...

My first day at my new job... security orientation... guy goes no firearms of any kind allowed on the premise...knives too...i had just driven down from my nh house with 25 guns 2 plate carriers 50k rounds 20ish pocket knives... guy goes its time to search your car lets go

I go pale as hell

He goes nah im just f***ing with u its south ga here i know of a guy with at least 15 guns in his car right now. Just know corporate can jack u up for that. I was like wow 15 guns huh he goes yeah thats a little extreme... i was just like sure thats the word id use too...

We get back at it,
and my buddy busts off a few mm of the tip one of the pliers' jaws.

This was before I learned about things like
mark-ups and overhead and the customer is always right and Harbor Freight,
(In retrospect; or honesty, apparently).
so I though we were gonna end up in a shallow grave.

There’s nothing wrong with a a bugout out fanny pack….

It reminds me of the scene from the Netflix series “the ranch”

Jamison Bennett a.k.a. the rooster has a bug out bag that contains a tall boy and a revolver.

On my list of things I hate, two that get ranked very high….Carrying shit for no reason and walking further than I have to…

Here's the "on paper" list -- I haven't done a physical inventory of the totes for a while.
  • PCC, ammo, magazines, cleaning kit (not in the tote).
  • Sealed Blanket. (Americares promotional item and reflective)
  • Bottled Water
  • Cash (No, I'm not telling you how much and no it's not stored in the totes).
  • Chapstick
  • Collapsible Water Carrier
  • Crank Radio/Flashlight
  • Copies of Essential Documents (Paper. Electronic copies in multiple places online and on a USB stick).
  • Drugs (Pain Killers, Antibiotics, day-to-day meds, Loratadine, Multivitamins)
  • Duct Tape
  • Earplugs
  • Fighting Knives (again, not in the tote)
  • First Aid Kit
  • Folding Shovel/Entrenching tool
  • Gloves
  • Goggles
  • Hand saw
  • Hats/Caps
  • Electric Lantern
  • Leathermen (1/person)
  • LED Flashlight
  • Lighters
  • 3 D-Cell Maglight/Cudgel
  • Masks, filtration (Yes, these were there pre-Covid).
  • Matches, Strike anywhere wooden
  • Steel Mirror
  • Nail Clippers
  • Pack Straps
  • Paracord
  • Pillow Cases/Sacks
  • Protein Bars/Canned Nuts (refreshed every 6 months).
  • Rain Shells
  • Rope, Nylon
  • Sanitizer (Again, included pre-Covid).
  • Sleeping Bags
  • Soap
  • Socks
  • Solar Charger
  • Sporks, Camping (No, KFC plastic doesn't count).
  • Tarp
  • Tent
  • Tinder
  • Toilet Paper/Wipes
  • Tomahawk
  • Towels (Thank you HGTTG).
  • Trash bags
  • Travel Laptop
  • Underwear
  • USB Battery Pack
  • Water Filter
You may note the omission of dehydrated rations and precious metals. I'm not sold on the former and will not speak about the latter.
what is this packed in that it is less than an inch thick? Edit: never mind, totes in the car

Last edited:
No, this what I'd put in the car in case of an evacuation of unknown duration from my home. Most of the items are in waterproof totes, ready to grab and go.
Don't take this the wrong way, even if it sounds like I'm busting your balls, because I'm not. Where are you going with all this stuff? Are you planning on riding out a disaster in the woods? Going to a safe spot, relatives or friend's house? I'm thinking if one were to go to a .gov sponsored "safe haven", they are going to tell you to leave your stuff at the gate.

Excellent job at having supplies ready to go though. I know a lot of people that don't even have a flashlight ready to go, because you know, they have one on their phone.

I know a lot of people that don't even have a flashlight ready to go, because you know, they have one on their phone.
I just gave my kid a small streamlight single aaa flashlight to keep in his pocket, he told me about a week later how he uses it at least once a day where before he would have just fumbled around in the dark looking for what he was after because the phone is a pain

Just as an example on your way home from work do you really need a fire starter?

If you really really needed one, and couldn’t find someone who smokes…

Off the top of my head..

Smash out a vehicle window, pop the hood, rip out some wire, arc out on the battery…
Use all the leaves and rats nest they’re typically under vehicles hood as tinder Or some of the upholstery. Remember the vehicles full of gasoline aswell…

See? I didnt need to carry anything…

*Edit. What I just realized it’s really funny..Remember when every vehicle had a cigarette lighter built into it?

Last edited:
Here's the "on paper" list -- I haven't done a physical inventory of the totes for a while.
  • PCC, ammo, magazines, cleaning kit (not in the tote).
  • Sealed Blanket. (Americares promotional item and reflective)
  • Bottled Water
  • Cash (No, I'm not telling you how much and no it's not stored in the totes).
  • Chapstick
  • Collapsible Water Carrier
  • Crank Radio/Flashlight
  • Copies of Essential Documents (Paper. Electronic copies in multiple places online and on a USB stick).
  • Drugs (Pain Killers, Antibiotics, day-to-day meds, Loratadine, Multivitamins)
  • Duct Tape
  • Earplugs
  • Fighting Knives (again, not in the tote)
  • First Aid Kit
  • Folding Shovel/Entrenching tool
  • Gloves
  • Goggles
  • Hand saw
  • Hats/Caps
  • Electric Lantern
  • Leathermen (1/person)
  • LED Flashlight
  • Lighters
  • 3 D-Cell Maglight/Cudgel
  • Masks, filtration (Yes, these were there pre-Covid).
  • Matches, Strike anywhere wooden
  • Steel Mirror
  • Nail Clippers
  • Pack Straps
  • Paracord
  • Pillow Cases/Sacks
  • Protein Bars/Canned Nuts (refreshed every 6 months).
  • Rain Shells
  • Rope, Nylon
  • Sanitizer (Again, included pre-Covid).
  • Sleeping Bags
  • Soap
  • Socks
  • Solar Charger
  • Sporks, Camping (No, KFC plastic doesn't count).
  • Tarp
  • Tent
  • Tinder
  • Toilet Paper/Wipes
  • Tomahawk
  • Towels (Thank you HGTTG).
  • Trash bags
  • Travel Laptop
  • Underwear
  • USB Battery Pack
  • Water Filter
You may note the omission of dehydrated rations and precious metals. I'm not sold on the former and will not speak about the latter.

Good to have an inventory. Call me OCD, but I have a notebook on the basement shelves with an inventory of long-term storage food, oil-lamps/fuel, batteries, water purification, etc., for bug-in, with dates to replace (water, batteries, etc).

At the ready are 2 larger backpacks and two 5gal water jugs with 3-days food for vehicle-based bug-out to a northern VT location. Too big to carry but easy to toss in the car(s).

For carry, I splurged after one bonus and got ES Get-Home Bags for EDC in wife’s and my cars, as well as for the kids (daughter and son-in-law nearby, son is in 82nd Fort Bragg and doesn’t need his now). Ours, I customized a bit. Tags with replacement dates for batteries, food, water. Dull-color rain-covers so they don’t look like something others would want.

Montague Paratrooper Pro folding MTB can be added to car as needed.

Last edited:
My first day at my new job... security orientation... guy goes no firearms of any kind allowed on the premise...knives too...i had just driven down from my nh house with 25 guns 2 plate carriers 50k rounds 20ish pocket knives... guy goes its time to search your car lets go

I go pale as hell

He goes nah im just f***ing with u its south ga here i know of a guy with at least 15 guns in his car right now. Just know corporate can jack u up for that. I was like wow 15 guns huh he goes yeah thats a little extreme... i was just like sure thats the word id use too...
What do you drive? That's a lot of weight!

Here’s another serious suggestion for the OP.If the goal is to get home and you’re worried you might need something you could always put some caches somewhere containing whenever you think you On one or more routes to your house…

That way if you lose your initial bag or whatever you think you need. You’ll be able to re-supply on the way..

But my goal would be not to carry a bunch of shit I don’t need but know where to find the shit I do need if a situation occurs.

I did forget to mention ive hit 3 bullseyes with 1 bullet and turned down a 4 way with meghan fox jessica biel and olivia wilde because they werent good enough for me #nesstudclub4lyfe
Too early in the morning.
My first read was that you did something with a 4 megohm resistor.
Which makes no sense, because that's not a standard value.

I'm thinking if one were to go to a .gov sponsored "safe haven", they are going to tell you to leave your stuff at the gate.
I'll take "things I learned from Hurricane Katrina" for $100, Alex.

I know a lot of people that don't even have a flashlight ready to go, because you know, they have one on their phone.
I used to think,
"when the T derails, I'll be the one leading the pack down the tracks
(or running away from them into the darkness),
because I'm the only one with a 1xAA LED flashlight in the Bat Belt".

And then I think about my in-laws using high 3-figure smartphones
like they were throwaway flashlights.

So now I think that I'll be the only one with a working cell phone battery.
[rolleyes]

(I also evaluate flashlights and other expedient light sources
by whether they'd have sufficed to get Tom and Becky out of the cave
after they ran out of candles).

What I just realized it’s really funny..Remember when every vehicle had a cigarette lighter built into it?
I'm still waiting for Honda to get a freaking clue,
and wire the cigarette lighter socket so that it's always-on.

Because it pisses me off that I have to use a Powerpole-terminated cord
threaded via the firewall engine computer gasket to the battery posts
to recharge all our crap overnight when camping.

At the ready are 2 larger backpacks and two 5gal water jugs with 3-days food for vehicle-based bug-out to a northern VT location. Too big to carry but easy to toss in the car(s).
[thumbsup]
We've got a mixture of 2½ gallon and 7 gallon containers
permanently filled with water in the basement for the end times.
(The house water is supplied from a well).

Here’s another serious suggestion for the OP.If the goal is to get home and you’re worried you might need something you could always put some caches somewhere containing whenever you think you On one or more routes to your house…
Which highlights that OP is implicitly planning for
a scenario where he can't (or won't) hitchhike home,
or even get a starter ride from a colleague whose house
is located in the proper direction.

Scenarios like zombie plague,
EMP kills all cars,
he's an identifiable member of a political party hunted by the majority
(but TBH, Donks are covered by "zombie plague" above).
mqdefault.jpg

Statistically, OP would get more mileage out of
tacking up a regional map labeled "emergency ride home"
on a corkboard in the break room at work,
and supplying those cute little teentsy map pins.

For OPSEC, he doesn't even have to stick his own pin
precisely on his own neighborhood.

In my “fantasy”. Which I hope happens ill have a new vehicle with tracks or some of these universal tracks you drive onto. Incase I get snowed in…In an emergency I might not have time to plow a half mile of road to get out.But now that I think about it it’s all downhill so maybe just a sled will work…I also have enough Dunkeroos to last through winter.

Maybe you need a hover craft? I don’t know what kind of swap you’re going through

Attachments

• DE14E46F-5783-425A-8B86-7D84571BFAD8.jpeg
    DE14E46F-5783-425A-8B86-7D84571BFAD8.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

That way if you lose your initial bag or whatever you think you need. You’ll be able to re-supply on the way..

But my goal would be not to carry a bunch of shit I don’t need but know where to find the shit I do need if a situation occurs.
Never thought of that! Great idea. I keep maps in my car with less-traveled routes back from South Boston to home near MHT via MTB. Sampler well-sealed tubs with food, water, batteries here and there might be a good idea. Less weight, faster travel.

No plans perfect so always have a Plan B and C…

I’m currently on plan X.
So as you can assume Y and Z are not the ideal situation.

I seriously doubt that im th only person who feels that way after the last two years..

Just as an example on your way home from work do you really need a fire starter?

If you really really needed one, and couldn’t find someone who smokes…

Off the top of my head..

Smash out a vehicle window, pop the hood, rip out some wire, arc out on the battery…
Use all the leaves and rats nest they’re typically under vehicles hood as tinder Or some of the upholstery. Remember the vehicles full of gasoline aswell…

See? I didnt need to carry anything…

*Edit. What I just realized it’s really funny..Remember when every vehicle had a cigarette lighter built into it?
a small Bic lighter is a lot easier

a small Bic lighter is a lot easier

I smoke so I have like 100 lighters around me at all times…I’m just saying like making fire is very difficult…Since I’m a smoker it’s not like I have to plan on how I’m gonna light a fire.

I carry road flares. If you can’t light a fire in the rain with a flare you’re an idiot..

That’s half the reason I carry them

Anything I put in a bug out bag would have like five uses a minimum or I’m not carrying it

Never thought of that! Great idea. I keep maps in my car with less-traveled routes back from South Boston to home near MHT via MTB. Sampler well-sealed tubs with food, water, batteries here and there might be a good idea. Less weight, faster travel.

I only suggest caches in this situation…Because they’re very unlikely to be discovered if it’s in a swamp..People in the city can’t do this kind of thing easily

All right so it’s 45 miles. We need one ammo can every mile each containing:

Two packs of Marboro’s
Bic lighter
A fifth of choice liquor

An a note reminding yourself it’s only one more mile to the next cache.

Lol..

Don't take this the wrong way, even if it sounds like I'm busting your balls, because I'm not. Where are you going with all this stuff? Are you planning on riding out a disaster in the woods? Going to a safe spot, relatives or friend's house? I'm thinking if one were to go to a .gov sponsored "safe haven", they are going to tell you to leave your stuff at the gate.

It's a fair question, and if I had an answer, I'd be able to do a better job of triage. But I'm not assuming nearby friends or relatives houses are available -- at least not within a couple of hundred miles. So some time "in the woods" (or more realistically fields or on the side of the road) is something reasonable to plan for. I am assuming that refugee camps will get set up within a week or so -- otherwise I would have one of those buckets of dehydrated calories that claims to be food. If my stuff gets seized by troops, it's done it's job and I'm no worse off than if I didn't have it. (Well, okay, I've used a smidge more gasoline).

I don't consider myself a survivalist nor a prepper, and I understand the danger of "we might need that" thinking. If there's a nuclear holocaust, I expect to end up a glowing ember. But I've also reached that "will you still need me, will you still feed me" age, so relying on brawn and stamina is a bad idea. If, say, a 1938-level hurricane is heading our way, or someone crashes a 767 into Seabrook, I want to be able to evacuate quickly, deter attack, and not become roadkill.

In my “fantasy”. Which I hope happens ill have a new vehicle with tracks or some of these universal tracks you drive onto. Incase I get snowed in…

Actually, you could use the C button too.

But now that I think about it it’s all downhill
There's a market for T-shirts, bumper stickers, etc. that say that.

Anything I put in a bug out bag would have like five uses a minimum or I’m not carrying it

I only suggest caches in this situation…Because they’re very unlikely to be discovered if it’s in a swamp..People in the city can’t do this kind of thing easily
When the SHTF in the city,
the city is your cache.

When the shit hits the fan in the city. Don’t be in the city..Those supplies will last like three seconds. Did you ever see BLM clear out a CVS?

The whole 72 hour supply backpacks make me laugh. There’s absolutely nothing I would need in the next 72 hours

After 72 hours I might need a drink of water

The whole 72 hour supply backpacks make me laugh. There’s absolutely nothing I would need in the next 72 hours

After 72 hours I might need a drink of water

I'm not quite that hard-core, but honestly? I think a daypack with my camelbak bladder in it, some Snickers bars and a couple of pairs of dry socks would do me fine for 72 hours unless it's midwinter.

I'm not quite that hard-core, but honestly? I think a daypack with my camelbak bladder in it, some Snickers bars and a couple of pairs of dry socks would do me fine for 72 hours unless it's midwinter.
Exactly I'd just like to be as comfortable as possible within reason. Also stupid day to day type stuff. My wife got in a fender bender on a horrible rainy day in a parking lot. Was supposed to be the last thing before heading home. Ended up waiting for police etc. Thank God I made her pack a bag for her car. Those snacks and drinks took care of the hungry kids. If the kids are miserable you bet we'll be miserable...

Like I’ve said before I’m more of a comfortist..But 72 hours of torture is nothing..During the winter I could just eat the cheeseburgers off the floor of my truck.

I’m looking forward to winter if you’re cold you can put more clothes on. During the summer I am not comfortable

The day to day stuff is hard…But is it really?Might as well merge this with the first world problems thread

Back
Top Bottom