• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BREAKING: North Andover, MA Being Evacuated

I have been hearing the cause was attributed to gas valves becoming over pressurized, resulting in gas leakage and subsequent explosions whereupon the gas became ignited at seventy locations.

South Lawrence, Andover and North Andover have had gas and electricity shut off to prevent possible ignition and mandatory evacuation ordered for all three areas.

Having experience with computers and hacking, my first inclination is to think this is the result of someone or some persons hacking Columbia Gas. And knowing the FBI is involved furthers my suspicion.

I have been hearing the cause was attributed to gas valves becoming over pressurized, resulting in gas leakage and subsequent explosions whereupon the gas became ignited at seventy locations.

South Lawrence, Andover and North Andover have had gas and electricity shut off to prevent possible ignition and mandatory evacuation ordered for all three areas.

Having experience with computers and hacking, my first inclination is to think this is the result of someone or some persons hacking Columbia Gas. And knowing the FBI is involved furthers my suspicion.
I would think the FBI would be involved as a precaution anyway. It's way too early to tell

There must be a LOT of homes with compromised natural gas delivery piping if 70 homes have experienced explosion/combustion.

I would think the FBI would be involved as a precaution anyway. It's way too early to tell

Agreed. It is way too early. And realistically FBI gets pulled in early on all these types of events so they can rule out terrorism.

Suffice to say, it will be interesting when the dust settles and they determine the cause

On WCVB, they mentioned Columbia was redoing the gas lines throughout the community. I'm sure they f*cked up and now they're going to be opening up their checkbook

On WCVB, they mentioned Columbia was redoing the gas lines throughout the community. I'm sure they f*cked up and now they're going to be opening up their checkbook

On another forum, someone stated that they "supposedly" rerouted gas into a low pressure line to do the work ....

I'll just throw this one out there....

Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

The gas workers on on strike???

Hmmmm.

Is that fake news?

Can somebody confirm?

Look what happened when Verizon went on strike...

Verizon Reports Sabotage of Network, Implicating Striking Workers
Can confirm I saw gas workers picketing in Everett/Chelsea, although it was weeks ago. At some sort of substation in Woodlawn. Havent seen them there in a while but still see a security guard posted there, I assume by the gas co. to keep an eye on whatever is in that building. Dont know what company it is though, highly doubt its Columbia. Probably NGrid. Have no idea if theyre all in the same union and are all out.

Do you know if Columbia Gas does their own work or do they bid it out? CNG (in CT) doesn’t do any construction for infrastructure improvement jobs similar to this and only has construction crews that work on the ‘oops’ jobs.

Well, this is interesting. While researching the subject of over pressurized gas valves, I discovered a post from 2005, see below.

"In the old low pressure main cities there is no utility regulator, about 10 years ago in Chicago Peoples Gas sent high pressure into a low pressure system and had fires and explosions in I think about 10 houses."

Sounds very familiar to what just happened, doesn't it?

Got off the phone a little while ago with one of my nephews. He's a Union Plumber(12) in Boston. He told me that he tried to make it up to Lawrence on his way home from work to volunteer for gas shut downs in affected homes. He is certified in gas. Nice kid. He was just going to show up and help homeowners with locating and shutting off their gas mains
Pro Bono. Most don't even know they Have shut-offs. He said he couldn't get anywhere near L-Town. I thanked him for trying.
~Matt

Got off the phone a little while ago with one of my nephews. He's a Union Plumber(12) in Boston. He told me that he tried to make it up to Lawrence on his way home from work to volunteer for gas shut downs in affected homes. He is certified in gas. Nice kid. He was just going to show up and help homeowners with locating and shutting off their gas mains
Pro Bono. Most don't even know they Have shut-offs. He said he couldn't get anywhere near L-Town. I thanked him for trying.
~Matt
This is the main problem with present-day homeowners. They don't have a clue as to how the home operates.

Well, this is interesting. While researching the subject of over pressurized gas valves, I discovered a post from 2005, see below.

"In the old low pressure main cities there is no utility regulator, about 10 years ago in Chicago Peoples Gas sent high pressure into a low pressure system and had fires and explosions in I think about 10 houses."

Sounds very familiar to what just happened, doesn't it?

Subsequently researching that bit of information, turned up the following:

At 4 p.m. on January 17, 1992, a series of explosions and fires ravaged the River West Community. The fires were in an area bounded by the Chicago River, the Kennedy Expressway, and Kinzie and Division Streets. The devastation was caused by over-pressurization of the natural gas pipelines leading to homes and businesses.

Two hundred and twenty-five fire fighters responded to the emergency. The disaster resulted in 4 fatalities and 18 buildings destroyed or damaged.

Initially the increase in pressure was attributed to a faulty regulator. However, after lengthy investigations, the Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC) and the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) determined that a Peoples Gas Company crew was responsible. While doing routine maintenance on gas pressure regulators valves in a vault at Erie and Green streets, the crew failed to monitor downstream pressure when the pressure regulators were off-line. Normal gas pressure of 1/4 PSI soared to at least 10 PSI -- 40 times the normal pressure.

The extreme pressure caused hissing noises in stoves, furnaces, and space heaters. Many individuals shut off their gas service, thereby saving lives and properties.

I'll just throw this one out there....

Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

The gas workers on on strike???

Hmmmm.

Is that fake news?

Can somebody confirm?

Look what happened when Verizon went on strike...

Verizon Reports Sabotage of Network, Implicating Striking Workers

This was my 1st thought. National Grid locked them out months ago. Some of the locked out gas workers stand around job sites and heckle the "scabs" and post it on FB. A few friends are pretty pro union so I must see a handful of these vids a week.

I had to drive through this cluster on my way home, through all three affected cities. I live right by the North Andover line in Haverhill.

I used to own a home and live in N Andover. Lots of friends in the town. I put out the call to everyone that our house was safe and available, and that I'd come get them out if they needed evac. Luckily, everyone I know was able to get out safely.

If anybody needs assistance, or has a loved one who needs assistance, in one of the affected cities, message me. I will help any way I can.

Last edited:
It is time for thieving. The sun is down and the fires are out, the emergency vehicles are leaving, the police can only cover so much ground, home owners are being asked not to return to there property yet, it is a free night for no cost shopping.

It is time for thieving. The sun is down and the fires are out, the emergency vehicles are leaving, the police can only cover so much ground, home owners are being asked not to return to there property yet, it is a free night for no cost shopping.
and the area will be loaded with illegals. Prime conditions for looting, because that's what people do

and the area will be loaded with illegals. Prime conditions for looting, because that's what people do

They Mostly Come At Night.gif

There must be a LOT of homes with compromised natural gas delivery piping if 70 homes have experienced explosion/combustion.

As was actually mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the system is an old low pressure system. When you ramp up the pressure in that system, shit starts rupturing. It's not that it was all compromised before this, but it all sure as f*** is now.

Insurance companies are gonna be busy. Hope anyone affected by this knows to get a public adjuster when dealing with their claim, because I'm sure insurance will try to screw you extra hard during large events like this.

This was my 1st thought. National Grid locked them out months ago. Some of the locked out gas workers stand around job sites and heckle the "scabs" and post it on FB. A few friends are pretty pro union so I must see a handful of these vids a week.

The gas worker protests on the overpasses and at the shops (I drive by a Nat Grid shop in Braintreee almost daily) are still going strong, with signs and tents being manned full time. It sucks to have to even consider the possibility that it could have been done intentionally, but unfortunately sabotage has been part of the game forever.

Maybe we're due for a thread merge?

The gas worker protests on the overpasses and at the shops (I drive by a Nat Grid shop in Braintreee almost daily) are still going strong, with signs and tents being manned full time. It sucks to have to even consider the possibility that it could have been done intentionally, but unfortunately sabotage has been part of the game forever.

Standard operating procedure, right out of the union strike playbook.

Reporting now 1 dead.
18 year old kid
Chimney fell on him.

Just saw that on the news. I remember there were videos or pics yesterday showing that house with a large part of the chimney sitting on the squashed SUV.

Wow, that poor kid was sitting it the SUV when it happened....

Back
Top Bottom