Brandishing scenario...your in your truck...

All good points but what if he sees it sitting on the edge of your seat? I sometimes take the snub out and tuck it on the side of my seat for more comfort when I drive.

One thing to consider about having your snub out like that. How secure is it in the event of an unexpected collision? One of the FBI agents in the 1980's Miami shootout apparently did something similar and in the resulting crash his gun went flying and he was unable to retrieve it

FWIW it’s always been in the pocket holster and stowed fairly secure but you are right about a collision. Funny how people just take it for granted that they aren’t going to get into one.

On your person or left in a car >24 hrs?

Both. But there were times when my gun was almost too hot to touch in AZ just being outside. Maine, I generally left it in my truck, which was hit and miss, I had indoor parking some of the time. But it never malfunctioned as far as I know. It could have failed and I just never heard about it, but generally equipment failure cranks the bitching to 11.

He calls the cops and says you pulled a gun on him. What do you do? Anyone have any real time experience with this?
1. Move some funds out of your brokerage account into your checking account so you can pay the attorney

2. Have your dealer or a friend with an LTC pick up all of your guns from the police department you were required to surrender them to.

I am familiar with a similar case in which case the LTC (and appeal to get it back) was lost.

In that case, 4 mistakes were made:

1. Never initiate a confrontation when armed. Never.

2. Never get out of the car at a confrontation

3. If it's serious enough to display a gun, call 911 immediately thereafter and report you were assaulted. Do not consider it "unimportant enough to call on the non-911 number". You are in a race to be the complaintant, and want a contemporaneous record of your call to report a crime against you.

4. If the person has a club or knife, best to let them get a few stabs or hits in so you can get good hospital photos to bolster your self defense case. (ok, maybe just kidding on the one, but it is almost necessary in MA)

Last edited:
All I can find about carrying a loaded handgun inside a vehicle is it has to be in control. Does that mean I can have a holster in my cup holder or under dash?
Scenario: Your driving minding your own buisiness and you are at a stop light. The guy in front of you got real personal because you cut him off earlier down the road. He gets out of his car to run his mouth at you and he’s standing in front of your door.
1:You wave your handgun at him to move along and when he sees it he obediently goes back to his car. He had a tire iron in his hand to make you unholster.
2: Your handgun is holstered and sitting within reach on your console and he sees it and obediently goes to his car.
He calls the cops and says you pulled a gun on him. What do you do? Anyone have any real time experience with this?

3- instead of introducing a gun at all, don't pay any attention to him... drive off when the light changes (or as soon as it is safe to do so, running a red is the least of your problems) If he follows you, call the kopsch and train him to the nearest police station.

In any road rage bullshit, you're better off breaking contact or using the car as a weapon first, if needed. Introducing a gun is usually the legally poorest of all options unless you are completely out of options.... The problem with road rage is courts, and jurors for that matter, often will see both parties as being responsible for the altercation by default. This makes anything you do that isn't an attempt at escape or deescalation, look inherently bad.... it's easy to understand why, too. Usually whenever you see people doing the "road rage nipplehead show" on the roads, its usually some form of mutual combat. Basically 9 out of 10 times with RR, if an out of control garbage truck came along and smoked both of them, people would applause because the assumption is both of the ragers are part of the problem...

-Mike

1. Move some funds out of your brokerage account into your checking account so you can pay the attorney

2. Have your dealer or a friend with an LTC pick up all of your guns from the police department you were required to surrender them to.

I am familiar with a similar case in which case the LTC (and appeal to get it back) was lost.

In that case, 4 mistakes were made:

1. Never initiate a confrontation when armed. Never.

2. Never get out of the car at a confrontation

3. If it's serious enough to display a gun, call 911 immediately thereafter and report you were assaulted. Do not consider it "unimportant enough to call on the non-911 number". You are in a race to be the complaintant, and want a contemporaneous record of your call to report a crime against you.

4. If the person has a club or knife, best to let them get a few stabs or hits in so you can get good hospital photos to bolster your self defense case. (ok, maybe just kidding on the one, but it is almost necessary in MA)

Another whole part of the responsibility of owning firearms. You are guilty until proven innocent. Good advice too.

"Don't know what he is talking about officer. Nothing like that happened today."

You get jammed when you open your mouth and incriminate yourself.. like "I just opened my coat" or "I had a gun but didn't point it at him"

If the cop wasn't there and there is no video he doesn't have anything. If he has a plate and make you might get a visit to your house asking you about whatever was reported.. you say "Nope he made that up".. its not important enough for them to waste time on it.

"Don't know what he is talking about officer. Nothing like that happened today."

You get jammed when you open your mouth and incriminate yourself.. like "I just opened my coat" or "I had a gun but didn't point it at him"

If the cop wasn't there and there is no video he doesn't have anything. If he has a plate and make you might get a visit to your house asking you about whatever was reported.. you say "Nope he made that up".. its not important enough for them to waste time on it.
I know a lot of good cops. Not the shit heads we hear about. I don't know a single one willing to look the other way over some horseshit story you just portrayed.

I know a lot of good cops. Not the shit heads we hear about. I don't know a single one willing to look the other way over some horseshit story you just portrayed.

Yuppers. This is MA, and it’s the Era of Mass Shootings. Ain’t no PD going to put their necks out for a gunowner, especially when the alternative (revoking your LTC) is so, so easy. I might be wrong, but you’re best off thinking that way.

"Nope he made that up".. its not important enough for them to waste time on it.
It doesn't work that way. The police will file charges and let the courts sort it out.

In fact, you could make up a claim about anybody assaulting you with a knife and they would end up having to hire an attorney and probably cop a plea if they were innocent just to preserve the ADAs win/loss record. It's how the system works.

Saying anything can hurt. Suppose you justifiably pulled out a gun; told the police that it was made up; and someone happened to have a security cam recording you during the encounter. Now, instead of arguing "justification" you are a proven liar whose words will be summarily ignored.

If you have recently been in a non-shooting/gun displayed altercation, chances are you will be arrested and searched. The presence of the gun will be used as evidence to backup the claim against you. Of course, if the gun is safely stowed, it won't be found on a search (but will increase the chances of a search warrant for your home). Nobody said this stuff was easy.
If the cop wasn't there and there is no video he doesn't have anything.
Actually, the way it works is "you don't have video to prove you did not do it".

Yuppers. This is MA, and it’s the Era of Mass Shootings. Ain’t no PD going to put their necks out for a gunowner, especially when the alternative (revoking your LTC) is so, so easy. I might be wrong, but you’re best off thinking that way.
Yup. One had to serve my best man a 209A knowing it was pure crap. He was living here and pulled it in order to serve it himself. Called ahead to say it was coming and asked if he would be here. 100% honest in my reply that he would be. Served and hands were shaken between them.

I've worked in the LE field in one form or another for most of my life. These hypothetical scenarios can go all sorts of ways obviously. And as usual this forum is full of people afraid of their own shadow.

Ill let you in on something... contrary to all your worry warting, it takes an act of god to get convicted or even prosecuted for anything in this state. ESPECIALLY if you live in a major city. I know from experience on both sides of it. You read a couple stories about some guy getting railroaded in the news and start hyperventilating... the thing is 1. He most assuredly did or said something monumentally stupid to actually get prosecuted. 2. There are 1000s of people everyday in this state who get cases dismissed pending a $40 court fee for far worse.

However carry on, the worrying about hypothetical scenarios is amusing.

I've worked in the LE field in one form or another for most of my life. These hypothetical scenarios can go all sorts of ways obviously. And as usual this forum is full of people afraid of their own shadow.

Ill let you in on something... contrary to all your worry warting, it takes an act of god to get convicted or even prosecuted for anything in this state. ESPECIALLY if you live in a major city. I know from experience on both sides of it. You read a couple stories about some guy getting railroaded in the news and start hyperventilating... the thing is 1. He most assuredly did or said something monumentally stupid to actually get prosecuted. 2. There are 1000s of people everyday in this state who get cases dismissed pending a $40 court fee for far worse.

However carry on, the worrying about hypothetical scenarios is amusing.

I did say “I might be wrong,” but by all means tar us all with the same brush.

What I will say, and we both know I’m right, is that if you really have “worked in the LE field in one form or another for most of (your) life,” your mileage will most definitely vary on MA firearms offenses versus those of us who aren’t a part of the Thin Blue Line. You are freer from the fear of being a worrywart than I am, frankly. So, with all due respect (meaning none, given that even “good LEOs” are part of the unconstitutional system the rest of us have to contend with), you don’t have a clue how non-LEOs feel about this.

I did say “I might be wrong,” but by all means tar us all with the same brush.

What I will say, and we both know I’m right, is that if you really have “worked in the LE field in one form or another for most of (your) life,” your mileage will most definitely vary on MA firearms offenses versus those of us who aren’t a part of the Thin Blue Line. You are freer from the fear of being a worrywart than I am, frankly. So, with all due respect (meaning none, given that even “good LEOs” are part of the unconstitutional system the rest of us have to contend with), you don’t have a clue how non-LEOs feel about this.

Yeah and I am informing you.. you worry too much.

lol Yeah were real protected.. Ok Ill play along.

I've had my LTC suspended 3x... how about you?

Oh right you've never gotten so much as a parking ticket.. but are worried about getting a life sentence cause your handgun was in your glove box.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Oh right you've never gotten so much as a parking ticket.. but are worried about getting a life sentence cause your handgun was in your glove box.:rolleyes:

...which means you got it back. Three times. I’m doubtful many of us would even get it back once.

Look, whatever. You live your life, I’ll live mine. But your way has lost you your LTC three times, so you might look into that.

If you have recently been in a non-shooting/gun displayed altercation, chances are you will be arrested and searched. The presence of the gun will be used as evidence to backup the claim against you. Of course, if the gun is safely stowed, it won't be found on a search..

Like this?http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4874096/Fully-loaded-gun-stashed-woman-s-vagina.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4874096/Fully-loaded-gun-stashed-woman-s-vagina.html

Was the LTC suspended while you were a LE officer (including post-employment), or just an ordinary citizen?

If you had LE status (including retired), you cannot compare your experience getting your LTC unsuspended to that of a lowly civilian.

A great example is Framingham. Shoot someone through the neck by mistake as a LEO - "accident for which no charges are appropriate"; Shoot youself in the hand as a civilian and you get criminally charged. (both happened).

Last edited:
I think the phrase would have to be changed from a gun was found on her person, to a gun was found in her person.

Bottom line is, if you pull your gun you're F'd... so only draw if your life depends on it since you're almost certainly going to lose your LTC (in MA) if you show the gun. Nobody should be carrying unless they've thought through a million scenarios and can fully come to terms with the fact that an altercation such as a fist fight must never mean the gun gets "brandished." When I was younger (and before I carried) I used to frequently have in the back of my mind, "if I could only get my hands on that a-hole who (cut me off, is driving slow in the fast lane, etc., etc."), now the only thought in the back of my mind is keep your eyes and your hands to yourself because it's not worth losing my LTC (let alone the whole world of sh*t that will come down on you depending on how it plays out) if I do have to draw.

Back
Top Bottom